*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683925-Wishful-thought
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Drama · #1683925
Just a casual love story with a lonley New Yorker.
The plane ride was probably the biggest thing I needed. That whole day It felt like everything was whizzing past me like bullets, shooting right next to your skin, missing oh so closely. The goodbyes, tears, screams, people. I needed time to think on what is happening. Mom, she passed just a few weeks ago, swiftly and quietly in her sleep. When I saw her in the bed my mind just overloaded with questions, I felt to drowsy. I new I had to call someone so I called the Ambulance. Its like my eyes weren't even there anymore, they were being coated by my tears, so quickly. My head was clouded, so were my thoughts but I felt as if someone just stabbed a knife through me. Questions filled the air. What do I do? Who do I call? Is she still alive? What if she's dead? Who is going to take care of me? I just stopped thinking altogether and focused on my mom. Nothing was normal now, like a giant wind swiped across me and picked up everything without giving it back, and that everything was my mom.

I am Diana Flores and my mom, Kelly Flores is dead.

I quickly shook off the thought, My Mom had simply passed away, went to sleep and never woke up, gone on a long term trip to heaven.

Anyway, I don't want to drown you with my sadness, I don't expect sympathy at all from you. I am on this plane for only one reason. After my mom passing, no one could take care of me in Australia. My Aunt's and Uncle's had no space or money and my Grandma simply couldn't afford it so I had to move to America and live with my Aunt Carla. Now, I just see blue seas dotted with different shades of brown, black and green crammed inside this little airplane window. Although its very small, its pretty fascinating to keep in mind people live there, things happened in that small speck. And it to was very beautiful.



Everything.

Im thinking through everything. Slowly filtering it out while I finally sort it out. I had to try and let go of my mother, not to burden my Aunt's with my crying but I'm not going to shut her out. A gold pendant in the shape of a circle with the words "Darkness was only created to let the stars shine" engraved in cursive hanging onto the gold chain, wrapped around my neck will help me, I don't know but whenever I catch a glimpse of it, I feel as if my mother is there with me, lifting my chin up and giving me strength. It's helped me a lot, moving to New York City has always been a dream, so maybe I should look at it that way. A fresh start. Who cares that both my parents were dead, this was a new start for me, maybe I should live the life I had only dreamed. You know, study hard, finish all the books I have always wanted to read, meet new people. Everything will soon fall into place.

But thinking of that made me realize the one's I had left behind. Picturing their faces, sad and lonley with their hand waving goodbye slowly zoom out. It was a moment of sadness then as I swiftly wiped a tear off my face. Hopefully they would be able to visit at Christmas or my Birthday.



My thoughts were disturbed as the seatbelt sign turned on as everyone slowly pushed on to their seats. It was quite a long time, I slept a lot on this plane having no dreams at all witch is completely unusual for me and my likings. Having no dreams is like blinking, but when you open your eyes you feel like you have 40k hanging off you and you grow incredible lazy. I like waking up angry at myself for distributing my dream. But I had to sigh this one off as we were about the get off the plane. I didn't wait for everyone to get off. As soon as the seatbelt sign flipped back on I immediatly jerked upwards and headed for the exit. I haven't seen Aunt Carla in ages. I mean, the last time I saw her was when I was 5 and my only goal then was to meet Woody from Toy Story at Disneyland. I hardly remember it, I just remember 2 golden brown dogs going crazy licking our hands. So I was basically running towards the exit and finally made my way to the airport gates.



I stood there, wiping the hair out of my face, breathing heavily in hope for someone to come out and yell my name. Nothing. I was pretty ticked off for a second but then I saw Aunt Carla emerge from the crowd. It's as if she was glowing over everyone in her beige pants and white blouse.

"Diana ! You made it !" she exclaimed, quickly pushing me into a hug.

"Hello Aunt Carla !"

"Pssh, don't call me that ! You're making me feel old ! Just call me Carla" Her smile was so big and comforting.

"Okay, and you can just call me Anna"

"Done deal?

"Done Deal, Carla" We shared a quiet laughed and headed of to pick up my bags. By the time we got there my cousin Jasmine was already standing there, with my bag either side of her. We were best friends when we were little, we shared everything. She helped me through my first broken heart until she had to leave for America. She had long straight brown hair nearly up to her elbows and just like me, we were always inept in remembering things.

"Oh my gosh, Jasmine? Is that you?" she questioned, with a surprised look on her face.

"JASMINE! I haven't seen you in ages!"

"Anna? Diana?" she was still shocked "Oh My, Diana !" she yelped as I jumped towards her in a hug. "Guess what!" Jasmine was so much prettier then I remembered.

"What?"

"Were going to be neighbors, We bought the house with the balcony that overlaps yours!" She was so happy, her smile would never die down.

"Oh My gosh, the one Mr. Thornton lived in?"

"Yes, Were gonna have those overlapping balconies! I can visit you whenever I want to" she said with a wink. This was going to be awesome, whenever I need help with assignments, whenever I can't sleep, whenever I need to borrow something Jasmine will be right there! But, the room with the overlapping balcony is where Uncle Steven, Aunt Carla's husband slept. They had a little marriage difficulties so they slept in different beds.

"What happened to Uncle ..."

"Um, you might not wanna talk about it, they kind of ... divorced" She was whispering, turning her back to Aunt Carla who was reading the magazines at the News-agency next to us.

"Aunt Ca-- I mean, Carla?" She looked at me with a cheeky smile, making me smile back.

"Yes, darling?"

"When are we going? I'd like to catch some fresh air" I quickly blurted. I just came here and I didn't want her to feel that I needed to know everything. Including the divorce, though I would like to know what happened between her and Uncle Steve. I mean, I'm going to be living with her so I should know, right

"Oh, lets go now." She closed the magazine and headed towards me and Jasmine. "Oh Jasmine, you have to give Anna a little more information about the school and the neighborhood"

"Sure Carla" Before I could say anything, they dragged me to the front of the airport and loaded my bags onto trollies. All my baggage took up three trollies with Aunt Carla's trolly loading over the brim with my smaller bags and me and Jasmine wheeling around 2 big bags each. Once I stepped out I could feel the crisp June air whip against my cheeks. Its felt so good to be outdoors sandwiched between nature and buildings. It made me just feel, finally free. I was so happy that they didn't bring up my mom yet, I would be in tears by now.

         In a few minutes we were already in the car ready to leave. I had the biggest smile on my face. Normally, In Australia it would be Winter. All cold and it would be raining. Now, In America I was summer so that means next month, July, It would still be summer and I will finally get to have those birthdays at the beach when the sunset glows. Where my friends are surrounded against a fire on the beach, snuggling up to their blankets and chewing away at the marshmallows. That would basically make my year, or two.

"Okay, did you know where going to the same school" Jasmine said, snapping me out of my concentration on the clouds.



© Copyright 2010 Audioillusions (audioillusions at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1683925-Wishful-thought