*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684921-The-Legacy
Rated: ASR · Script/Play · Family · #1684921
Grandma had one final gift to bestow - a legacy of life. (A one-act play)
The Legacy

        CHARACTERS       


REBEKKAH
JOSHUA

          PLACE         

A bedroom.

          TIME         

2010

                              ~**~                             


                                                                        [A Victorian looking bedroom.  As the door slowly opens,
                                                                        REBEKKAH, a young woman enters, glancing around the
                                                                        room.  JOSHUA, a slightly younger man, enters after her
                                                                        carrying several folded boxes which he leans against the bed.
                                                                        The room is silent. They both stand for a moment.  Tears
                                                                        begin to fall from REBEKKAH's eyes and JOSHUA reaches
                                                                        over and takes her hand.]

REBEKKAH


I can't believe she's gone.  This room feels like it's lost its soul.

JOSHUA


Oh, I don't know.  I can still sense her presence.

          (JOSHUA inhales the air of the room)

There's a faint scent of roses ... and there's a primness to this room that I always associate with Grandma.

REBEKKAH


          (REBEKKAH sniffles)

You're right.  This room is Grandma. 

JOSHUA


          (JOSHUA picks up one of the boxes and unfolds it)

C'mon Bek. Might as well get started.

REBEKKAH


          (REBEKKAH sighs)

Of course.  I really don't think this should take too long.  Grandma wasn't overly sentimental.  "The past is the past" she'd always say whenever I'd ask her about her younger days.  "Live your life each day!" 

There shouldn't be much to go through.

JOSHUA


          (JOSHUA looks around the sparse room)

I think you're right – although I'm not in a rush.  I miss her and this feels like an ending. 

REBEKKAH


Now don't go getting morose on me.  You'll start me crying again and you don't want to do that.

JOSHUA


          (Gives a slight laugh)

OK, OK ... you made your point.  I'll tell you what – why don't you start packing up the dresser and I'll begin with her closet?

REBEKKAH


Sounds good to me.  (Laughingly)  Call me if you find any hidden treasure.

          (REBEKKAH picks up a box and moves to a dressing table where she begins to pick up items, inspect them, and then place them in the box)

JOSHUA


          (JOSHUA moves to the closet, opens the door, and stands staring into it)

Not much to pack, huh? Then what's this?  The closet's full of old magazines!

REBEKKAH


          (REBEKKAH moves over to the closet peering in)

That's odd.  I never thought Grandma read very much.  She was always more of doer.

          (REBEKKAH picks up one of the magazines)

Spot Magazine  October 1940 ... Amusement ... Entertainment ... I don't believe it! It's a girlie magazine!

JOSHUA


          (JOSHUA pulls another one off the paper tower.)

So's this one.

REBEKKAH


Now why would she...?

JOSHUA


          (Interrupting, laughter in his voice)

Look at this!

          (JOSHUA holds up the magazine)

REBEKKAH


          (REBEKKAH pulls the magazine from JOSHUA'S hand)

Joshua!  Quit looking at the nude photos.  That magazine is from the 1940's – she's probably old enough today to be your ...

          (REBEKKAH focuses on the image)

Grandma?

Oh my God!

          (REBEKKAH looks at JOSHUA in disbelief and both start to laugh)

JOSHUA


Why, Grandma, what big ...

REBEKKAH


Don't you dare!

          (Composing herself)

Well, what do we do now?

JOSHUA


What can we do? We box everything up just like she asked and then ...

I don't know about you but I have some reading to do!

REBEKKAH


        (REBEKKAH playfully punches JOSHUA in the arm)

Joshua!

                                                                 [Fade to black over the sound of laughter]


Round 3 Entry for "Talent Pond Tennis - CLOSED [13+]
"Write a scene for a play or screenplay. The setting, characters, etc. can be anything you want, but there must be at least two characters, and those characters must have at least ten (10) speaking parts each. There also must be at least some stage direction or action too ..."

The format credit goes to: http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/howtoformatastageplay

Thank you for taking time to read my words.  I would appreciate it if you took a moment and left a comment.  Your reaction, impressions, criticisms, - yes, even praise *Smile* are all equally welcome.

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1684921-The-Legacy