*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685838-A-Lapse-in-Memory
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1685838
Todd can't remember how he got in this situation. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: swimsuit, waterfall, lemonade

A Lapse in Memory

Next time I go with the lemonade, Todd thought as he fled down the jungle trail. He didn’t need to look back to know they were still after him. It was like being chased by a pep rally with automatic weapons. Apparently if you throw enough Tequila and a big enough bounty at a problem, everyone will want to play.


He remembered ordering the Bourbon and then – nothing more. At the moment, he would settle for just knowing who he was.


A bullet whistled past his head. Probably a lucky shot, he thought/hoped. Give enough monkeys an infinite number of bullets and one of them will eventually shoot Shakespeare – or something like that.


Todd smiled. At least I’m not panicking. Maybe this it something I do all of the time.


He looked down at his bare feet picking their way thought the underbrush. He was dressed in only his underwear, or maybe a swimsuit. He was armed with – nothing.


He ran and ran; amazed by his stamina. The posse was falling behind yet he could still hear them laughing as they confidently chased their prey.


What do they know that I don’t?


Five minutes later, he had his answer. Sure, the waterfall implied there would be a pool at the bottom of the cliff. Still, all he could see was mist. There had to be another way.


Todd looked around in a panic. They were getting close. In seconds, they would burst into the opening and see him. Then it would be over.


What would I do if I could remember who I am? he thought. Todd took a couple of deep breaths and tried to let his “real” self take over.


As the guns broke through the edge of the jungle, Todd remembered.


Without hesitation, he turned and jumped.


Word Count 300


© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1685838-A-Lapse-in-Memory