*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686160-Busted---Plausible---Confirmed
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #1686160
Stan reviews evidence from the night before. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.

The prompts: This story must contain the words: swimming pool, fireworks, picnic

Busted - Plausible - Confirmed

Stan sat up in the middle of his backyard and wondered briefly where his clothes were.

Standing seemed out of the question; at least for the moment. He settled for just sitting quietly as he surveyed the damage from the night before. At first blush, it didn’t appear to be bad. There was the obligatory overturned keg and trash everywhere.

He had no recollection of any police involvement so it was probably a felon-free night.

If anything, it looked tidier than he expected.

That’s when he noticed the picnic table was missing.

Who would want to take my picnic table? he thought.

That’s when he noticed the big sign.

What the hell does “Plausible” mean? That’s when he remembered “The Big Idea.” The Big Idea being to have a party based on the television show MythBusters.

Stan struggled to his feet and staggered over to where a clipboard hung below the sign.

I remember now. This is where we recorded the results.

He skimmed the data which became increasingly illegible the farther down the page it was recorded.

Myth #1: Picnic tables float – busted

Stan glanced over his shoulder at the swimming pool. He didn’t need to look very close to know what he would find on the bottom.

Myth #2: Fireworks will ignite in a microwave – plausible.

Stan looked at the microwave. The door was hanging a little off kilter but, aside from that, it appeared alright.

Thank God for that, he thought. It was the only appliance in the kitchen he knew how to use.

Myth #3: Bobby is too much of a chicken to hold a firecracker in his hand until it, the firecracker, explodes – confirmed.

No blood anywhere, a first for one of Stan’s “events”.

Myth #4: Stan holds the best parties every – confirmed.

Word count 298


© Copyright 2010 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686160-Busted---Plausible---Confirmed