*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686281-In-a-House-of-Faith
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1686281
Sister Agnes saves her church in a most unusual manner.
Father David was at the head of the church during mass on Sunday. He was a well-liked priest. As he stood and began to read from the gospel, he was possessed by a demon sent up by Satan. Looking out at the crowd, the possessed priest said “Every massacre begins with a mass”. The parishioners sat still, confused. He then leapt from the pulpit to tear apart the closest subject: an elderly woman.

She was no ordinary elder, but a nun that had been forced into retirement due to her exceptional telekinetic powers. The Church saw her powers as something that would compromise the order. Now, Sister Agnes knew she had been placed in this very spot, with her special powers, by God. Just so she could save her fellow churchgoers.

David was nearly upon Agnes when she focused her mind and he was slammed back against the pulpit by an invisible force. Everyone screamed while bolting for the exit. David bellowed at his fleeing treats and recognized that the retired nun had somehow stopped him: she was the only one not running. Bearing surprisingly sharp teeth, he ran at Agnes again. This time, she ducked and let him crash into the pews. Hymnals and Bibles flew about and David howled in pain when the Bibles touched him, due to their holy words and his unholy possession.

Agnes rushed to the baptismal fountain and drew David there as if she were calling a dog. David was cautious to follow for he still had the priest’s mind and knew that such fountains held blessed, harmful waters. David waged whether he should flee or go for the inglorious kill.

Agnes gave him no chance.

She gathered some water with her mind and cast it about, causing sacred rain to fall inside the church. David howled in pain and rage as the demon inside lost grips on the body. In no time, the priest was on the floor, unconscious, but alive.

Those who witnessed the act thanked Agnes. Those who fled don’t believe she did anything. Even in a house of faith, seeing is believing, and everything else is suspect.

Word Count: 357

© Copyright 2010 Than Pence (zhencoff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686281-In-a-House-of-Faith