*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686494-Bed-and-Blood
Rated: 13+ · Sample · Supernatural · #1686494
Lenore is the owner of a vampire B & B. She brings werewolf just as a vamp-were war starts


I sat in the kitchen with my back to the rest of the house.

When would I ever learn?

Chills ran down my spine and I leapt about a foot in the air when Bram stroked my neck with a cold-as-ice finger.

"Bram," I gasped. Another stroke and a 'good morning' from Devin. All six vampires filed into my kitchen and I went down the line.

"Good morning Bram, Devin, Michael, Jet, Steale, Gabriel," I flashed each of them a tired grin.

"Good morning Lenore," they chimed, flashing me one of their infamously mouthwatering smiles. Each of them had their own signature grin that made them who – and what – they were. Their teeth were gleaming white and perfect . . . minus the piercing sharp canines that stood out more than anything. Bram had shaggy black hair and hazy blue eyes. Devin was blonde with hazel eyes, as was Michael, but his hair was a bit darker. Jet was brunette with silver eyes like mine. Steale and Gabriel were twins, with dark purple hair. Steale had blue eyes and so did Gabriel, but he wore green contacts.

"What’s for breakfast, boys?" I asked, sipping my coffee and folding up the newspaper and setting it on the table.

Steale, Gabriel, and Devin said sheep, Bram and Michael went for cattle, and Jet, being the new guy, was by himself looking for a lone horse.

"Have a nice day, guys!" I shouted as they took off into my back woods. There was a streak of white and Jet bounded up the back steps to stand in front of me. He awkwardly embraced me, and I pushed him away gently. "Don't tempt yourself, hon'," I smiled.

"Thanks for letting me stay here, Lenore," Jet said, running shaky fingers through his short cropped hair. "I really appreciate it. To think I'd be in the clutches of my master if it weren't for you." He laughed nervously.

"It's okay," I touched his shoulder. "Now go eat. I'll be here all day until nine, if you need anything."

"Yes ma'am."

Jet ran off after the others and I sighed.



Running a B & B for vampires was hard work. I always thought of the B & B as "Bed and Blood", but that was a bit much. Ten bedrooms, one bathroom to each with only a tub and sink, monogrammed towels and fancy soaps that I paid extra for at the grocery store. Each room sported a bed, mini refrigerator, 30" televisions and a dresser. I got financial help from my friend Rose out in Tucson, Arizona due to her loyalty and overwhelming obsession with helping everyone she knew. I already paid off the mortgage on the house so I had money left over to pay off my car, pave my driveway, and refurnish the entire three story house.

I was heavily involved in the supernatural way of life, friends with vampires, werewolves, and even the occasional faerie that happened to come into the small town of Battle Lake, Minnesota for a drink and a one-night stand. Vampires were what I specialized in. I was good friends with the leader of the Battle Lake clan – Blake – after I saved his human wife from a blaze in the summer of '02. Ever since, I have attended the summonings, summits and meetings and never missed a beat. I was the most supernaturally informed human on the earth.

I fell onto the sofa, wiggled my fuzzy blue slippers in the air, and sighed as the phone rang.

"Lenore Kuan," I said into the receiver.

"Yes hello," a female voice replied. "It's Rachel." My good vampire friend. "I am calling to inform you about an upcoming meeting. It will be held tomorrow night in city hall at five. Just follow the signs. It's formal." She hung up and I stuck my tongue out at the phone. I placed it back on the cradle and switched the television on.



* * *



My eyes flashed open to the morning light and I looked at my watch. I had slept for nineteen hours.

"Dammit Michael!" I called up the stairs. There was a soft chuckle followed by a thud.

That's what Michael could do. He could put humans to sleep with only a couple Lithuanian words. One day I'd translate and figure out what he was saying, but I didn't have the attention span for it. I started my day with three cups of coffee, two pancakes, and a bottle of water. My mother always told me that breakfast was the most important meal of the day. I lifted the unfinished newspaper off of the table and began to read it. I had gotten through two sections when there was a knock at the front door. I sighed and went to answer it.

"Hey girly," Ricky grinned brightly, swooping me up in his arms and planting a kiss on my cheek. Ricky Bride was my long time boyfriend. He somehow put up with me being so close to something that before he met me he didn't even know existed and I loved him for it. Ricky was tall, about seven feet, and had an athletic build. His hair was short and light brown and he had eyes the color of leaves after a spring rain. He set me down and I hugged him fiercely.

"Hi Ricky," I sighed against him. "I've missed you."

"Me too babe," he replied. I stepped out of his way so he could walk past. He sat down across from where I had been sitting and smiled gently. "I'm sorry I so rudely interrupted your morning routine, girly." I shrugged.

"No big," I said. "The boys are all still in bed."

"Any of them giving you any trouble," Ricky asked, eyeing me warily. I shook my head.

"All of them are just fine," I smiled. "I couldn't care less what they do as long as it's not in my house and they pay their rent."

"I second that," Ricky nodded.

"Coffee?" I queried.

"Couldn't live without it," he replied.

I sat with Ricky and we talked over pancakes and coffee until Jet sauntered in and saw Ricky for the first time. His eyes, which had been partially closed with sleep, widened and he made an attempt not to jump.

"Jet!" I caught him before he could fall and stood him up. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," he shook his head and squeezed his eyes shut, and then opened them. "Sorry, I'm not accustomed to strangers."

"This is Ricky," I said quickly to clear the air, "my boyfriend. Ricky, this is Jet, the newest resident of the B and B." They swiftly shook hands and Ricky stood.

"Well," he said. "I best be off. I have a job to do. See ya babe." He touched my arm and kissed my cheek. "Jet," he smiled. He gave him a two-fingered salute and went out the door, letting it slam behind him.

"Well that wasn't too . . ." I turned around to confront Jet about his episode to find him gone. Typical vampire to run away in awkward situations. I sighed and sat down to finish the paper . . .

© Copyright 2010 Allison Carol (allisoncarol at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686494-Bed-and-Blood