*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686816-The-Big-Bang
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1686816
Alex was brilliant - but nature always sides with the hidden flaw. Daily Flash Winner
The Big Bang

"Are we there yet?" Rebekkah's voice drifted through the darkness.

"According to my calculations, we'll be there in ..." Alex paused. In the blackness, he couldn't see the chronograph. "... soon," he finished lamely.

His theories on time and space had led to this moment. He had found a way to use the energy of tachyons to not just move almost instantaneously across any distance but to short circuit time itself. It was possible to go anywhere and anywhen ... and Alex had proved it.

Harlan Ellison, an early twentieth century science fiction write once said "The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity." I stand here and proclaim him the world's greatest prophet! he thought.

This journey was to be his crowning glory – to prove how the universe was formed. The preparations were carefully made. He had done the calculations himself hundreds of time. He was now minutes away from witnessing the birth of the universe.

"You're awfully silent," Rebekkah's voice sounded again.

"Rebekkah, have you ever heard of 'Murphy'?"

"Was he a famous scientist?"

"No – more like a philosopher. He once said that nature always sides with the hidden flaw."

"I don't understand."

"Sometimes, you can be 99.9999% right but some minor detail can make you fail. In this case, I overlooked what was right in front of my nose."

"Alex – you're scaring me."

"Rebekkah – what existed before the moment the universe was formed?" Alex could sense her brow furrow like it always did when she was deep in thought.

"Nothing, I guess."

"But we're here – and we exist, don't we?"

Alex's last thought, as he, Rebekkah, and everything that existed – but shouldn't - disintegrated into primeval atoms was, we're here, Rebekkah – and we always will be ...

... and a universe formed.


Notes:
An entry for the 6/30/10 round of "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge [13+]
Prompt: Write a story that includes the line: "Are we there yet?"

Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 299

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 🌕 HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1686816-The-Big-Bang