*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687602-Independence-Day
by chad
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1687602
young soldier realizes what freedom really means to him at a very important moment
The air was full of dust and the ground littered with the dead. Every time I tried to walk I was either stepping on someone or my boots would sink into the bloody ground. As my enemies tried to kill me, I tried to kill them. For what? Was freedom really worth all this. Seeing so many of my friends die for a cause they will never know the outcome. 

        As we made it back to camp on the 16 of August, 1781, I was preparing to relax by the fire when my sergeant came to me. 

        “Get ready, were leaving in a few days, cannot tell you where, but it's not going to be easy from the way it sounds.” 

        Everyone started out in good spirits until after a week people started to seem to just die as they were walking. I knew that it was close to the end of June 1781, but I could not tell you the specific day. We have been marching for weeks. Many of my friends have fallen out and died right there on the side of the road. This whole campaign has been just one big pain in the ass unless you were an officer. Perfect  uniforms, boots, socks, and all the food and drinks you wanted. We were planning to attack New York but I am guessing a higher up sees another plan to win this war and were all stuck in the middle of it. 

        “Where the hell are we?” I ask the man next to me. 

        “Virginia.” he says in a weary voice. 

        “What are we doing here?” 

        “I overheard some of the officers talking. They think that General Cornwallis is in Yorktown and were going to box him in.” 

        “THEY THINK!” I yelled at the top of my lungs, “ We have been marching from New York to Virginia and they THINK he’s there?” 

        “QUIET DOWN were getting close!” said one officer on horseback. 

        We walked maybe another ten miles until we set up camp. I was preparing a place to sleep tonight when I could of sworn I heard a cannon. 

        “THE FRENCH ARE FIRING ON THE BRITISH SHIPS IN THE BAY!” someone yelled from the distance. 

        What a beautiful sight, the flashes of light from the cannons on the boat reflecting off the water, and the thought that I may actually be able to go home when this is all over and see my wife and kids again. 

         

        The mourning came quickly. I was not able to sleep much with all the noises last night. A couple of the guys in my company told me the French had taken control of the Chesapeake Bay and set up a blockade. Now it was our turn. Since Cornwallis was expecting supplies from England he backed himself into the Bay and surrounded the Bay with ships. All we had to do was block his escape route by land and gradually move in to set up artillery. Obviously the French had already taken care of the enemy ships at sea. 

        That afternoon our company commander was going to give us an update of what has been going on so far. 

        “Men, we have the British blocked in and theres no where for them to run or hide.” “Only problem is I want to go home.” “Orders have come down that we need to set up groups to attack the fortifications on the outskirts of the city.” “The sooner we take Yorktown, the sooner we all go home.” “Who's in?” 

        All a sudden a sudden rush of pride swept over me. I finally understood this fight for freedom for what it was. It was not about me or the man next to me. This is our land, this is where I was born and this is where I will die. I was fighting for my home and my family. Immediately I jumped up and volunteered. Whether I mad it home alive or not I knew we had the British right were we wanted them and there was nothing they could do. This was going to be our Independence Day!



690 words

© Copyright 2010 chad (chad112406 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687602-Independence-Day