*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687909-In-the-Blink-of-an-Eye
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Animal · #1687909
A young woman visits her best friend in the hospital and witnesses the parallels of life.
In the Blink of an Eye

When Julie got the call from her best friend’s mother that Sara had been in a terrible car accident, she grabbed the rabbit foot that her keys were attached to and sped the ten miles to the hospital.

Julie was still in her blue flannel lounge pajama bottoms and a tattered red sweat shirt. Her flip flops smacked the pavement as she hurried across the black asphalt parking lot to the main entrance.

A hawk perched on a street lamp above her screeched as a rabbit raced across the lawn to hide in the shrubs, while cars pulled into the circle and people raced to see their loved ones. What seemed chaotic was orderly.

Julie pushed through the revolving doors and dashed to the ICU. The pristine cleanliness could never hide the smell of disease and illness. Sara’s mother hugged Julie hard and whispered, “Everything will be alright.” Her suffering showed through her red stained eyes.

“What happened?” Julie asked trying to remain in control of her voice.

“She was broad-sided by a drunk driver who ran a red light.” Mrs. Jones dabbed at her nose with a scrunched up tissue.

“How bad is she?”

“We don’t know yet, but the doctors are very positive.” Mrs. Jones was stoic and Julie was comforted by this.

“Can I see her?”

“Yes, but she may not respond. She’s been in and out of consciousness.”

“Then I’ll just sit there with her for a few minutes.”

The ICU door slid open with a swish for Julie and she tiptoed in. The sight of Sara’s head wrapped in gauze – her left arm in a sling and bandaged beneath was startling to Julie. She stood stock still for a moment before taking Sara’s right hand. Tears streamed down Julie’s face.

“Sara,” Julie whispered.

“I’m here,” said Sara. Her voice was groggy and slurred. Her eyes were swollen shut, and her lip was split. A faint pink stain oozed through the gauze on her forehead.

“Sara, don’t talk.”

It’s fine…I want to.”

“Are you in pain?” Julie asked ready to get a nurse.

“No…just spacey.”

Julie squeezed Sara’s hand. “Do you remember what happened?”

“What are you…my mom?”

Julie smiled. Sara always said that when she thought people asked too many questions. “No. You know me, can’t stop at just one.”

“I’m gonna be alright” Sara made a feeble attempt to squeeze Julie’s hand. “My car is totaled, so I guess I’ll get that new Jetta I’ve been talking about.” Her voice rattled and drool bubbled at the corner of her mouth.

“Nothing like German engineering – made to last.”

“Yeah, like us.” Sara said barely above a whisper. “I’m tired, go home.”

“I’ll stay here with your mother.”

“No, go home. I just need some rest.”

“Sure?”

“Positive.”

“Okay, but I’ll be back first thing tomorrow.” Julie sensed that Sara was out, so she left after saying goodbye to Mrs. Jones.

Julie was drained from the experience and shuffled back to her car. She sat there for awhile and stared out the window. She watched as the hawk swooped down and took flight with a baby bunny in its claws.

Sara was laid to rest the following Saturday.


© Copyright 2010 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687909-In-the-Blink-of-an-Eye