*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687958-Chapter-Two-The-Librarian
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #1687958
Savannah meets the psycho librarian. After one day volunteering her world changes.
Chapter Two:
The Librarian

The storage room door creaked open. A little old lady about five feet tall stepped out. She was carrying a large brown box full of old books. Her hair was grey and tied up in a tight old fashioned bun. She wore perfectly circular glasses that were slightly crooked on her face.

“I thought I heard someone there. You youngsters must be my volunteers. Come come this way quickly hurry up.” She said to us going back into the storage room with her box of old books.

We followed her into the storage room. This was not a new place for me, the floor to ceiling book shelves in dark wood with a floor to ceiling ladder on wheals. The only thing I noticed that was different was a sparkling little square table in the centre of the room. Something about the room seemed more mystical and mysterious than from what I remember.

“So what are you names? I’m Mrs. Webbinshire. But most people call me weebs. Don’t know where they got that name from, but I live with it.” She said eagerly.

I was quite happy when Jason replied for both of us. “I’m Jason and this is my friend Savannah.” Something about Jason calling me a friend made my heart skip a beat. I’m not crushing on him am I?

“Well Jason and Savannah you guys get to help me sort all of these old books I brought in. By the time we are done, every book should have its place.” She said pointing to a huge pile of boxed in the far corner of the room. “Start sorting them according to genre then alphabetical order. I will be back.” She said then left the room faster then you could even breath.

“Well she’s quite the character isn’t she?” Jason asked walking towards the large pile of books.

“Yeah she defiantly is, isn’t she? I’ve never met someone who is so socially strange inside and out. I mean what kind of a librarian brings all of there old books to be stored here, at a high school.” I said picking up a book from one of the boxes. The title read, The Worlds Hidden Secrets.

“Hey I’m going to go grab some tape and some more boxes so we can start sorting and labeling. I’ll be right back.” Jason said and left the room.

Since I had a bit of time before we actually had to start working, I opened the book. When I opened the book it was like a huge whiff of air came from the pages. That’s odd. I continued on to the next page. On it was a little green creature. It looked almost like a lizard. It had red eyes that were huge in proportion to its head. Under the picture it said, The Serpent. I looked at the next page it had a illustration of what looked like a black cape that was floating in mid air. Under the picture it had the creature’s name Death Guarder. Ok this is creepy. Before I could look at the next page the book was slammed shut in my hands. I looked up to see Mrs. Webbinshire giving me the evil eye.

“What do you think you are doing? I told you to sort the books not to look at them.” She said with a hint of annoyance and anger in her voice.

I hesitated to say anything, seeing that I just got freaked right out of my sneakers all I could get out was, “Um….I’m sorry. I didn’t know we weren’t allowed to look at them.”

“Well my dear, no harm done yet at least. But you must understand there are some there are some things no one should see. That book included.” She said seriously.

“Why? What’s wrong with that book.” I asked attentively.

She leaned towards me and whispered, “There are something’s about this world the naked eye can not see, things the ear can not hear until they have been made aware.”

Not fully understanding what on earth she was talking about I asked, “Huh. Could you please repeat that?”

“Just remember there is more to this world than you think. You have to look beyond. Not even the imagination can think of all the things that world holds. The untold stories the hidden secrets.” She said and then backed away from me. She then went back to her book looking.

It was not long after that Jason returned and said, “Sorry It took me so long. I couldn’t find the duck tape.” I think Jason noticed that neither me,or our psycho librarian even moved when he spoke. So he attempted to make things less awkward. “So….Did I miss anything?”

I wanted to reply and say yes you did. The psycho librarian pulled a freaking episode on me well you were gone. Don’t ever leave me alone with her ever again or alone in the library either. But I knew I couldn’t so I quietly continued on with my work not saying a word until Mrs. Weebinshire left for the day.

“Well were almost done. Then it’s freedom. I think after this I am going to be so sick of the smell of old hard covered book. That I won’t touch one every again until I’m forty.” said Jason.

I let out a little chuckle, “Agreed. I just can hardly wait to get home I have so much school stuff to do.”

“Same here. If you want to you can head home and I can finish labeling these boxes. It shouldn’t take me longer than five minuets.”

“Are you sure? I can stay to.” I replied.

He smiled, “Thanks for the offer. But you should go home it’s supposed to storm tonight and you shouldn’t get caught in the rain.”

“Thanks.” I said with a smile. I then picked up my bag and headed to the bus stop.

While waiting at the bus stop I got thinking about the book, and all that our freaky librarian had told me. What was it all supposed to mean. The sky was now covered in a sheet of dark grey clouds the wind started to pick up.

It was then that I heard my name “Savannah…..” it whispered. I looked around and saw no one. There was not a soul around me. The street in front of me didn’t have a single car. It was as if everything around me had been abandoned. Then I heard it whisper again, “Savannah watch out.” I looked around again and again. The only indication that there was some sort of life around me, was an out door light on the blue house across the street. Then it whispered one more time a littler louder than before, “Savannah be careful.” It was then that the wind began to pick up a little more. The lights on all the houses across the street started to flash. Then all of the sudden the voice shouted, “Savannah watch out!” I felt my book bag moving as it rested on my thigh. It’s wiggled and jiggled a little then I heard it. A hiss. Then it hit me something was in my bag.

My bag began to jiggle and wiggle more and more. It was as if my bag suddenly came alive and was doing all it could to get away from me. The movements became more and more aggressive. My body began to heat up. What do I do? Then all of the sudden a green serpent jumped out of my bag and on to the concrete sidewalk. Its fire red eyes glared at me. In one of its serpent hands he held my keys. The serpent was the color of an evergreen tree, and was about as big as a pet rabbit. It let out another hiss letting out its long red tongue. Then the serpent spoke in a very hissy voice, “Welcome to our world. We’ve been watching you. My master will be pleased with your arrival. He’s been waiting to meet you.”

The serpent then took off towards the school. I took off after it. “Hey come back here that’s my house key.”
© Copyright 2010 Living In My Own World (katesworld at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687958-Chapter-Two-The-Librarian