*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688382-No-Whip-Half-Latte
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #1688382
Essay about today's society. I submitted this essay when I applied to Tufts University.
And I’ll have a …no whip half-caf latte? This is by far the best interpretation of society today. We want to personalize every little thing that affects our lives, even the coffee that we pick up on the way to school. Whatever happened to plain black coffee? I actually tried ordering a black coffee the other day at my local Starbucks. It was virtually impossible; apparently simplicity is a thing of the past.  After I placed my order the man behind the counter stared at me for about 10 seconds awe before asking me if I wanted a tall black coffee or a grande black coffee. Or a long one. Or a fat and tall one.  Or a not too small but not quite medium one? Yes, life is definitely more complex now than when I was born.



And we are to blame.



For the sake of contrast, it’s enough to remember my childhood, and compare it to the children of today. When I was a kid, I played tennis and went to the park. I played with Barbies, Hot Wheels and Lego. Today, children aren’t entertained unless they are interacting with a screen. G-d forbid a child today isn’t equipped with an I-pod, a Wii and Guitar Hero. What has society become? At some point we must stop and ask ourselves, where do we draw the line. Is the overly complex world that we are creating worth it? Or should we try to return to a time when the world was a simple and possibly better place to live?

© Copyright 2010 Laura M (lalaura1089 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688382-No-Whip-Half-Latte