*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688964-Cursed-Chapter-Three
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · LGBTQ+ · #1688964
"Some people say we're cursed; but, I think it's a gift. Don't you?"
I folded my arms across my chest to try and preserve some of my body heat. It was icy cold outside and the bitter wind felt like thousands of sharp needles piercing any of my skin that was exposed; a very clichéd description, I felt; but there was no other way to describe it. It was pitch black but I could still clearly see Bailey a few feet in front of me; the cold and dark didn’t seem to affect him at all; in fact, he seemed to be enjoying it.

I could faintly hear Lucas babbling excitedly at Reuben, who didn’t utter a word. I stopped and turned automatically, feeling a pang of guilt at having allowed Reuben to be dragged along with us. He was staring miserably at the floor with his hands in his pockets. He hated the dark even more than crowds; there were a lot of things Reuben was afraid of.
Lucas, on the other hand, was skipping quite happily beside him, unaware of his obvious discomfort. I felt like I should have been the one walking beside him and reassuring him. Was I being too overprotective?

“Come on, Ollie!” Bailey called out to me. I turned back but I could no longer see him. I squinted, seeing nothing but darkness in front of me. We must be almost a mile from the care home by now and I was beginning to feel like this whole little ‘outing’ was pointless.

I turned around and began to speak to Lucas and Reuben but the same expansive darkness was the only thing behind me. My head swivelled from side to side in immediate panic, wondering how we’d been separated within such a small amount of time. Then it hit me; Bailey had planned this from the beginning. What did he think he was doing?

The wind was now carrying waves of rain along with it and in the matter of a few seconds, I was soaked to the skin. It had been a really bad idea to agree to this.

I stood still on the spot, trying to make out anything around me that would give away where I was. I could just make out the outline of a large, spiked fence a little way to my right. I walked up to it and gripped the metal bars of the gate, peering through the gaps.

It was a cemetery, littered with cracking, grey headstones and wilted flowers. It was so typical of Bailey to have brought us here, I knew exactly what he was trying to do and it wasn’t going to work; I’d lived by myself in the middle of nowhere for too long to be this easily scared.

Well, there was no way I was going to back out now, so I held the bars tightly and pulled, opening the rusty gate with minimal effort. Once inside, I could faintly here voices from further in and their location was so obvious it was disappointing.

I trampled on through the overgrown, swamp-like grass to a small gathering of larger, more extravagant memorials. The rain was slightly heavier now and I could hear thunder not far away. Bailey certainly picked the right night to do this, I’d give him that.

I stood close to the statue which I was sure Bailey was behind and smirked faintly to myself. I’d never gained terribly impressive grades in school but I’d always been complimented on my art skills, particularly acting, even though I had no interest in the subject.

I looked up at the sky, then back at my body; I was suitably pathetic looking. If Bailey was looking to scare me, I could hit him back twice as hard. At the next rumble of thunder, the play would begin.

I heard it, louder this time and quickly jerked my head upwards, faking fear. I gripped the front of my wet jacket and sniffed pathetically, looking around in pretend terror.

“Bailey!” I cried, whimpering slightly, “This isn’t funny! Come out...please.” I coughed and rested my hand on my chest, rubbing it and wincing. I was sure I had his attention but he probably wasn’t yet convinced; he’d known me for too long.
Wrapping my arms around myself tightly and shivering, I staggered towards the statue and collapsed with my back against it, putting one hand on my forehead dramatically; perhaps I was making it a little too theatrical.

I could hear him shifting around not too far from me, obviously curious as to what I was doing. I coughed weakly and blinked several times, swaying a little.

“Bailey, I want to go back now! I don’t...feel...so good.” With my parting line, I slid down the statue and collapsed to the floor, keeping as still as possible.

I heard someone running as soon as I hit the ground and Bailey calling my name. I was relieved that it had worked but still angry. It was also very uncomfortable on the ground; it was freezing cold and covered in pools of muddy water, which were currently soaking through my clothes.

I heard and felt him skid to the ground next to me, whispering my name frantically. As I felt his hand touch my shoulder, I launched myself upwards and punched him as hard as I could in the stomach, sending him flying backwards onto the grass.

“Nice try, Bailey!” I yelled, sitting up and glaring at him. Lucas and Reuben skidded around the corner, staring with confused looks on their faces at the two of us on the ground. Reuben looked like he might collapse himself.

Bailey sat up and doubled over, holding his stomach and spluttering a little. I continued to glare as he looked up at me but he didn’t look angry; he looked disappointed, if anything. I pushed myself up to my feet and shook my wet hair.

“What the hell were you thinking?” Bailey screamed at me. Now, he looked angry. I stood my ground and continued to stare right at him. To be honest, I wasn’t sure how to react; I was sure he would’ve just laughed and that the whole situation would be over.

He stood up abruptly, his eyes staring intensely into mine.

“I thought that there was really something wrong with you! That’s not funny, Oliver!”

Oliver? Bailey had never used my full name before. I was quite taken aback by his reaction, he didn’t even look angry anymore, he looked upset. Did he really care that much about me?

I felt unbelievably guilty at that point and it didn’t help that they all just stood silently and stared at me.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean...” I felt compelled to apologise. Bailey looked away as though it pained him to look at me and for a few seconds it was deathly silent. Then he turned back and smiled forcefully, slapping me hard on the back.

“It’s fine, Ollie! Just don’t scare me like that ever again, okay?” he rubbed his stomach and winced. “Geez, you hit me really hard.”

I shrugged and rubbed my back, wishing I’d ‘collapsed’ in a more comfortable position.
Lucas and Reuben didn’t say a word, just accepted that the situation was over and were glad for it. Reuben looked up at the sky and then at me, obviously hoping that I’d be the one to suggest we went back.

I couldn’t help but get the feeling that the argument hadn’t ended yet. I also didn’t understand why what I’d done had upset him so much and why I felt so guilty for it. I looked at Bailey out of the corner of my eye and he was staring at me with an odd expression on his face. I almost wished he’d hit me; I just wanted to go back to the home.

Unfortunately, Bailey had other plans. His face suddenly lit up and he waved his hand at us in signal to follow him. Lucas happily obliged but Reuben looked conflicted; he wanted to go back but would never argue with Bailey. This was my cue.

“Wait; Bailey, I think we should go back now.” I sighed.

Bailey looked at me and smirked. He reached toward me and took my wrist in his hand, pulling me close to him; I wasn’t sure what to make of the situation. Then, he looked directly into my eyes in a way that said “trust me” and let go of my wrist.

I was confused. I wasn’t sure what he’d just done, or why; but, I suddenly felt as though I had to go with him; as though it was important that I did.

He turned on his heel and began to walk away briskly, leaving it up to me to choose whether or not to follow.
I looked at Reuben and Lucas, who were staring back, willing to follow me whichever way I went. Then I turned to Bailey, who was standing still in the distance, facing me. A bolt of fork lightning sparked above us and lit his eyes like pools of liquid silver. His damp hair stuck to the curves of his face like an elegant frame and as the lightning died away to darkness, the image of him stuck.

There was something different about Bailey that I’d never seen in anyone else; some strange, limitless vitality; electricity.

As I chased after him through the cold, enveloping darkness, I could think of only one thing; I wanted to see that electricity sparked to life.
© Copyright 2010 Sweetiez <3 (sweetiez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1688964-Cursed-Chapter-Three