*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689891-the-clues-were-all-right-there
by chad
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1689891
A young police officer tries to take his girl out to a concert...keyword TRIES...but fails
         Mozart was blaring loudly threw the house

         “Turn that damn thing down!” I screamed at my roommate Claire.

         “It soothes me, I just need to stay calm, or I don’t know what I may do.” said Claire.

Whatever that meant made no sense to me.

“It is bad enough you play it so early in the morning that it wakes me up at the crack of dawn.”

         It had been a long week at the office.  A new serial killer was on the loose and there were no leads and no witnesses, hell everyone that was within hearing distance of the crime says they didn’t hear anything unusual except for loud classical music.  All victims were shot the same way with the same gun. 

         “Turn it down!” I yelled again, “I’m trying to call Kim!”

Kim was my new girl that I just met last week at a Van Halen concert.  I picked up the phone, and walked into the bedroom to make the call for some privacy.

         “Is Kim there, hey what are you doing, are you ready.”  “Yeah I’ll be here and ready to go in 15 minutes.”  “Yeah she still just sits there in the corner listening to Mozart all day long.”  “I don’t know but ever since her best friend died last month she’s been acting really strange.”  “I thought about asking her if she would like to tag along but I doubt it.”

         I hung up the phone and went back into the living room.

         “Claire. Kim wants to know if you would like to come with us to the concert and maybe afterwards we can go get some food at that Italian restaurant you like?”

         “I’ll think about it.” Claire says glum fully looking down at her lap and twiddling her thumbs.

         “Okay if you do just be ready in an hour.”

         I jumped in the shower, washed up, and went to my room to change out of my police uniform.  I had been with the force for a little over a year and already trying to make detective.  Just have to wait for my big break.

         As I walked into the kitchen to grab a snack I noticed a phone number written on a note stuck to the fridge.  It was the address to one of the victims that was murdered just last night and discovered this morning.

         “Claire how did you get this address”

         “Oh that’s Bill I met him a day or two ago he’s suppose to be taking me out tomorrow.”

         I did not want to tell her right at that minute for all she has been thru.  I did not want to make her feel any worse than what she already did because of Johnny her best friend that died last month in bar down town.  The gunman was never caught and no witnesses which was strange because the bar was full of people I was even there. 

         As I walked back into the hallway I noticed Claire’s bedroom door open just a crack.  I thought it was shut the last time I walked through here but just dismissed it as being paranoid.  I sat down at my desk and turned the laptop on.  Immediately I saw I had an e-mail from my partner down at the prescient it read:

We found another clue toward the gender of the killer.  It is female approximately 5 feet 4 and weighs maybe around 115 lbs.  The neighbors of the last victim kept complaining about someone playing Mozart very loudly in the area.  That’s all we have for now.

         I thought a little to myself and laughed. 

         “No way it couldn’t be.” I said still laughing

         “What’s so funny?”  The voice from behind me gave me such freight that I nearly fell backwards in my chair.  Claire was standing behind me giving me a sad confused look.

         Nothing,” I said, “Just an e-mail from Ray giving me a heads up on a crime last night.”

         Claire turned and walked out of the room just as I heard the knock on the door.  I sprinted for the door and already knew who it was.  Kim was probably the most beautiful girl I had been with and from what I already knew about her she was perfect.  I gave her a hug, picked her up, and twirled her around the living room. 

         “You’re late!” I told her.

         “Where’s your roommate, is she going with us?”

         “I don’t know, she scared the holy living shit out of me and then disappeared into her room.”

         I went to go and sit down on the couch while Kim went to go and use the restroom.  I noticed a fresh red stain on my right sleeve.  As I looked closer I realized it was blood.  At that moment I stood and turned and saw Kim walking out of the bathroom.

         “Babe are you hurt.” I said walking toward her, “No I’m fine, why you ask?”

         “Where my sleeve brushed against you there’s a red stain there now, it’s blood.”

         “How do you know its blood?”

         “I’m a cop I’ve seen blood before.”

         Just as I turned back to sit down I heard Claire’s door open and a loud gunshot echoed through the house.  I turned to see Kim lying on the floor in a fresh pool of blood.  Now the gun pointed at me.

         “WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!” I screamed.

         “She gets too close to the victims and it’s PISSING ME OFF!” Claire said with anger

         “Why Claire?”

         “You really wanna know why? Okay I’ll tell ya.  Last month when Johnny died there was a bar FULL of witnesses and not a sole spoke of who it could have been.  So I decided that I, with the help of Johnny’s sister Kim, would track down and murder everyone that was at that bar just for being so damn ignorant.”  Claire looked down at Kim with tears in her eyes she could not see that well so I made my move. The gun went off again.

1000 words
© Copyright 2010 chad (chad112406 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1689891-the-clues-were-all-right-there