*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690083-Irene
by Keni
Rated: E · Short Story · Friendship · #1690083
Two friends say goodbye.
Irene

To Lola and Mary.

Irene and I have been friends for more than eighty years. It’s hard to imagine a day without her smile or gentle words. She always had a way of making you feel like the most important person in the world. We’ve seen each other through it all. And here we are in it again. -My dear Irene, we’ll get through. I won’t leave you.

This morning when I got up I’d never have guessed I’d end up here. Young people always think us older folk expect this, but the truth is, I didn’t realize I was old folk. When does that happen? I feel as young as I’ve ever felt inside. Oh, sometimes this body reminds me how many years have gone, otherwise I’m the same.  But at some point time takes it’s price. I found myself standing outside Irene’s room, lost in thought, when the nurse let me know it was ok to go in.

Hours passed as I sat in the chair. I watched Irene, so peaceful. I couldn’t see the old woman the nurses came and checked over. I saw my Irene.

“I remember the first day we met. You wore that crisp blue dress with matching bows in your braids. Those braids danced as you came up our lane.

Momma told me you were coming. Said the Forester girl would be walking to school with me. I was glad of it. Didn’t want to go to school on my own; didn’t really want to go to school at all. It made no sense to me why I couldn’t stay home with Momma and help her with Charlie. Lord knows what a handful he was. She needed me. But I was to go to school and not another word about it. Remember, that’s the way things were then, not another word about it, and that was that.

Well there you were skipping and hopping, as happy as a lark, making your way to my door. Irene. Momma said your name was Irene and I’d do well if we were kindly to each other seeing how we’d be walking to school together every day. I knew the moment I saw you, I’d have no problem making friends. And I was right.”

I took Irene’s hand in mine.

“You remember that day? There was nothing stopping you. You were busting at the seams to get on with a new adventure. And there I was terrified. After short introductions, you took my hand and we were off. The whole way I didn’t have a chance to get scared with all your chatter. I just held on tight, afraid if I let go I’d be left. You led the way assuring me with stories of your older brother’s adventures at school. There was nothing more certain to you than what a fine place school was and how much we were going to love it.

The teacher sat us in the front of the class with fresh, clean slates in our laps. At first things were like you said. Miss Clift was fascinating. I watched her every move and listened carefully to everything she said. She started us on our numbers and letters. But as the morning went on the strangeness of it all took hold. I wanted to be home. My stomach tied in knots and tears stung my eyes. As I drew in my breath and began to shake, your hand found mine.

“Let’s play a game.”

“A game?”

“Here.”

“I don’t know how.”

“It’s easy, I’ll show you.”

In whispers you explained as you marked your slate with lines. In no time I was so busy playing tic tac toe I forgot about being homesick.

We ate lunch outside with your brothers and then headed home. I was relieved to come to the end of my first school day. All in all it wasn’t bad. I really liked learning and you saw me through the hard times, through the loneliness and fear a new thing can bring. In the relief our walk home became a playful journey. We followed the leader, walked backwards, picked flowers and imagined things great and small.”

I leaned close and spoke softly.

“Irene. I’m here. Feel me squeezing your hand? We are walking through this together. Don’t be scared. I won’t leave you. And if you’d wake up I promise you a rousing game of tic tac toe, just to ease the fear of it all.”

A smile broke through my tears.

“This isn’t the end Irene. Don’t you give up. I have the hard part, I have to sit here and worry. You lay there and nap. Lord knows it’s the stillest I’ve ever seen you. But once you’ve had your fill you wake up and we’ll go home.”

Wishes always find their ways to my lips. Irene knows this about me. But I still hoped she believed me.

“Remember this?”

I pulled a tattered quilt from my bag.

“It’s had times my lady. Looks like you’re needing this.”

Carefully I spread the quilt over her. A kiss on the cheek and I had to leave. The pain in my heart was beyond me. I wanted to be strong for Irene. So much she was strong for me. It was my turn.
© Copyright 2010 Keni (keni at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690083-Irene