*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690748-Peripheral
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1690748
A tale of the about the "Windows of the Soul" and their ability to see into lost places.
The wind held had a chilly bite in it. Fall colors bursting from every crevice brought emotions from his childhood, while the old Maples let off a fragrance that gave him peace. Jackson was 23 years old now and this is where he found himself. In the open, rugged country of Hold Back Valley. The sky swam in an ocean of blue and fluffy white with the assistance of an Osprey here and there circling for there meal. He closed his eyes to sharpen his senses and discover more of this majestic dreamland. The soft churning of the brook to his lower left and the Chipmunk scurrying across the Sycamore branches.

Could there be a better place to unravel? Could there be a better place to descend into the dirt, to let his interior fade away into nothing and be made new again? Man, I wonder if..., suddenly a shriek shot through the forests bouncing off the trees and boulders. Jackson jerked his head toward the noise and jumped off the boulder he was sitting on. A loud snap with thunderous vibrations shook the ground. Those sound like footsteps. I better get out of sight. Jackson saw movement about 100 meters up the incline. Is that a bear? If it is, I gotta get out of here!

He began to make his way down the valley to the brook, that way he could go around the creature and get back to his car and safety. Splashing into the stream he waded in an began to swim with the current. Out of the corner of his right eye he saw something that appeared big and covered in hair. He snapped his head around and saw nothing. Then again he saw movement right on the edge of his vision out of his left eye, this time he didn't snap his around but tried to pretend he didn't see it. It appeared as if the creature was looking at him and approaching him, although its feet weren't moving. It looked like it's body was floating in mid air. It's arms were stretched out in front of it reaching for its prize.

He snapped his head around to see it and it was gone again. By this time he had made his way far enough downstream to reach his car. There it is! What the heck is going on! He ran full speed to his car, fumbled the keys, then woke up. With a jolt Jackson shot up in bed and looked around the room. He found the clock near his bed. It's glowing red numbers read 3:34 a.m. With a big sigh he plopped back into his pillow and closed his eyes. These things are getting worse. I think I need to talk to...Sleep took him without a moments delay.

Jackson stood there outside of his car in a very familiar place. Wait a minute, I'm back in the dream? Or wait, is this the dream, or?..He snatched the keys off the ground and jerked the door open. Out of his right eye he saw the creature sitting in the passenger seat next to him and staring at him. Glancing at the seat and seeing nothing sent shivers down his back. “Get away from me! Leave me alone!”, he started the car and threw the clutch into drive. Spraying dirt everywhere he sped off while checking the rear view mirror. He saw nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Then he woke up again. Only this time he wasn't sitting on his bed in his room. He was back in the woods this time, but not in the car. His lower back hurt as if he had fallen from something.Trying to regain his senses, he looked around the wooded area and found absolute horror. About a hundred meters down the slope of the mountain a young man sat on a boulder starring up at him as if he had been startled by something. No...it can't be...
© Copyright 2010 Seth C. Brown (morrellious at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1690748-Peripheral