*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691187-Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Young Adult · #1691187
Prologue to a book I'm currently writing.
                                  Prologue


         



         Dilis sat on the singular granite bench nestled in the tidy all marble room. A man made pond lay in front of him, the water glistening blue in the moonlight that beamed through the open ceiling, he leaned forward letting a hand dip into the water limply. Thoughts ran rampant through his head, leaving a blank stare strewn across his face as he conceited to his mind.
         Cold wind touched his skin like the loving hand of a mother, the large wooden door to his left was thrust open. Dilis turned to see who was coming out, subconsciously he straightened his back lifting his hand from the cold water shaking it free of the few droplets that slid down his fingertips. Those exiting the room held only the expression of true sorrow and melancholy, some had tear stained faces their bodies convulsing with sobs, one women was held up by a man on either side of her. Dilis recognized her as the Queen when she lifted her head to let out a cry. The rest of the group consisted of the King’s son, chief advisors, and other political figures all adorned in the finest clothing coin could buy.
         “He wants to see you… alone, General Dilis.” One of the men assisting the queen said in a solemn voice.
         Dilis nodded in silence as he rose and headed for the open door. He looked to the faces of those that had just come from the room, some not meeting his eyes others just staring with their minds deep with thought. A dim flickering light illuminated from the doorway, enticing him inside.
         Upon entering the door was closed behind him, its creaks echoing as the single sound in the room. Torches were burning on either side showing extravagant furniture, sculptures, and busts of past kings. All lead to a masterfully crafted bed at the back of the chamber where a frail gray haired man lay with his eyes closed taking in short weakened breathes. Dilis approached his dying kings bedside and kneeled hesitantly looking up at the pale sunk in face of the king, the skin was tight and stretched to its limit exposing all bone in his face, he looked of death even before its cold grasp had taken hold of him.
         “I’m here my king.” Dilis said in a soft voice.
         It seemed with all his remaining strength the king opened his eyes slowly, but his face brightening as he recognized the face before him. “Hello good friend. I will not hesitate with what must be said.” a convulsion of coughs broke his words and made his body writhe with pain, he continued unhesitant as soon as the coughing ceased. “You are who you are because of the conscious and subconscious choices you make. I have unfortunately made too many of the wrong decisions that only reverberated through my lack of action.” another wave of violent coughs set in, Dilis reached over in assitance only to be brushed away by the king. “As I lay here taking in the full spectrum of which I based my life, I must ask you…to do what I have not, bring back what this country has lost for far too long, bring it glory, bring it justice, and give the people honor.”
         The king coughed horrendously letting loose a vile amount of blood, his voice weakened as he forced himself to continue. “Honor me by becoming the next king my friend, for my son will only seek self preservation, you cannot argue with this and I make it my dying wish that you shall succeed me when I pass.”
         Dilis nodded in agreement obediently, “I promise I will see to it that your last wish is fulfilled, my king…my friend.” He said clasping his hand firmly around the kings forearm in a binding shake.
         “Thank you Dilis. I’ve known I could always trust you… now can you go get the others so we can make this official, I fear I have such a short amount of time.”
         Without another word Dilis stands and moves back toward the door, his posture and movements always in perfection.
         Time slows as a flurry of coughs come from behind him, every cough more violent then the last, every one echoing across the room. An icy chill surged through his body as he turned to face the king again, a single raspy breathe leaked from the kings lungs… and then there was nothing, no movement stirred the room no other sound broke the eerie silence. Dilis stood , eyes fixated on the unmoving body of his old friend. A tear slid from his eye and disappeared down his cheek, the deathly sound of the kings last breathe rattled around in his mind embedding itself forever.
         “Come quick! Everyone get in here.” he yelled to the door hoping the others would hear.
         Almost instantly the door was swung open and the others ran in, the queen crying and dashing to her husbands side, the others went to Dilis.
         “What were his last words General?” they chimed in unison.
         With a straight and solemn face he replied, “Our king wished me to take over as king when he passed, he was about to make it official to all of you  but he’s been taken from us too soon.”
         The kings son did not take what he heard lightly, turning from his fathers lifeless body the expression of anger corrupted his face, “ He could just be saying that to take the throne! Don’t give in to his trickery, my father never told anyone of any intention of making this man his heir! I am the true blood heir. I deserve the crown! Not some soldier.” the others restrain the kings son before he is able to hit Dilis who stands his ground undaunted.
         “He is correct Dilis, there is no proof you are to be the king, you’re the only one that would know so we’re sorry but --”
         “I am simply telling you the wishes of our king, I dare not make false accusations. I am honor bound to serve this country and king who I pledged my undying loyalty to so long ago.” Dilis looked into the faces of his prosecutors finding no solitude. “He was my friend, I would not put words into his mouth you must believe me.”
         An evident frustration in the kings son came to a boiling point and unleashed itself uncontrollably made more intense by the flame burning in his eyes. “I am king now! And I say you, Dilis are to be exiled from the capital for the rest of your treacherous life!”
         “If that is what you wish I will go without struggle, but know this, I go as a free man of his own free will, as your father wanted all citizens of this country to.”
         Turning from the young man‘s gaze Dilis walks out of the room, his posture and steps in perfection as always.           
© Copyright 2010 Chase Walker (xbatman69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1691187-Prologue