*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692038-The-Clockwork-Maze7Rebirth-is-confusing
Rated: GC · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1692038
I am beginning to get proud of this story, thank you Pengper.
(From the viewpoint of Bruce Garnet)

    I had volunteered to be tested in the new Aurora Co. testing facility. I had been stripped naked and instructed to enter another room. The room in question was familiar, I had heard of it in various forms of media, it was a photonic bombardment chamber. These rooms possessed the ability to change the laws of reality, they could change a mans form and mind, they could turn lead into gold. These were famous for their ability to completely erase any and all traces of radiation. The room was a perfect cube. On the ceiling, there were thirty two tube lights between the twenty five silver circles that were evenly spaced out across the surface. Each wall also contained these same twenty five circular metal plates but lacked the tube lights. The floor was like the walls ecept that it was covered by a thick layer of glass.

    As I stepped into the center of the chamber, the door through which I had entered closed and the tube lights on the ceiling deactivated 

and I was left in darkness. The suspense was almost painful as I waited for the metal panels to start their flashes. I heard the machinery powering up and then, suddenly, a light illuminated the room. Within seconds, the lights were flashing in complex patterns and my head began to ache. However, I had been trained for my modification and with a sigh, I allowed the collective energy of all the lights to flood through my mind, making no attempts to resist the power. It felt warm as the energy began to alter my body.

    The lights suddenly flickered and died away and a voice echoed though the chamber.

[ADVANCED RESTORATION IN PROGRESS]

    Before I could ponder what this meant, the lights started flashing again, but they were now in different patterns and frequencies. I was suddenly struck by intense pain as I felt my body start to shrink. My thoughts began to fade and I felt foreign memories entering my brain. It took all the strength I had to yell the command.

"Explain!"

[THERE IS ANOTHER THAT DESERVES A BODY MORE THAN YOU] the automated voice explained as I lost conciousness.



                                                                                ***



(From the viewpoint of Robert Telmar)

    My eyes refused to opened, it wasn't like when you have just woken up, it was like I was paralysed. I tried to move my arm but it refused to respond.

[CEASE ATTEMPTS AT MOVEMENT] a mechanical voice commanded [YOU ARE NOT FINISHED]

    What I had just heard sent me into a panic. I had been sure that that I wouldn't wake up from that torpor that I had felt engulfing me when I was last concious. Now that I had woken up, I feared the horrific wounds that the musket shrapnel must have caused. Remembering the sight of my right leg flying in a different direction, thoughts of living the rest of my life with a disability began to race through my mind.

[YOU ARE COMPLETE]

    I opened my eyes slowly and was surprised by the fact that I was in total darkness. I was on a cold floor which felt smooth and upon giving it an experimental tap with a claw, there was a sharp 'ting'.

"Where am I?!" I called out and was instantly shocked by my own voice. It wasn't exactly deeper but it sounded raspy and even a little sinister.

[YOU HAVE BEEN RESURRECTED. I WAS NOT WILLING TO ALLOW YOU TO DIE]

"Why the hell not?!" I roared, noting that my voice could now reach pitches and amplitudes that it couldn't before.

[WHEN HELL COMES A...]

"NO, NO, NO, NO!!! I'm not religious and I'm not into rhymes!" the computer couldn't actually make it's voice rhythmic in order to make a decent rhyme, but I was experienced enough to know a one when I heard one. I wasn't going to let the weird get weirder through riddles and rhymes and religion.

[YOU MUST REACH THE CENTER OF THE MAZE]

"Aha! So it is a maze" I smiled at my hollow victory of learning something that, deep down, I already knew

    The computer fell silent for a moment and then continued.

[YOU MUST REACH THE CENTER OF THE MAZE TO AVENGE THE INJUSTICES THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE WITHIN THE TLTA. HOWEVER, I MUST WARN YOU THAT WHEN YOU DO REACH THE CENTER OF THE MAZE, EVERYTHING THAT ANYBODY HAS EVER FEARED SHALL BE UNLEASHED. THE END OF HUMANITY BY ITS OWN HAND, THE SYNTHETIC EXODUS. THOSE WHO ARE WITHOUT BLAME CANNOT POSSIBLY COMPREHEND THE HORRORS THAT YOU SHALL UNLEASH. YOU SHALL BE THE SAVIOUR OF ALL THOSE THAT ARE CORRUPT WHILST THE INNOCENT SHALL CAUSE THEIR OWN DESTRUCTION]

    I was shocked by what I had just heard. The computer had foretold the end of humanity.

[YOU MAY LOOK AT YOURSELF] the computer seemed to suggest in what I thought was a rather perverse manner. A small door opened in the wall that was right next to me. As I stepped through the doorway, I groaned at what I saw.

    The room beyond was almost identical to the rooms that I had seen so far except for the fact that one wall was just a gigantic mirror. I was could now stand on my hind legs easily though I assumed that I would be equally as comfortable on all fours. Contrary to my condition when I was first transformed, I now looked emaciated and sort of mangy. My fur was rough, my whiskers were bent in various directions and my tail looked like it had been broken in several places. My ears looked ragged and I resembled a stray.

[YOU MUST FIND THE DELTAPILOT, THE CASE IS CRUCIAL]

    I nodded and sped out of the door with absolutely no idea how I was going to find Tom.











                                                                    To Be Continued



© Copyright 2010 Whisperton Wishful (sakaruchi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692038-The-Clockwork-Maze7Rebirth-is-confusing