*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694262-FindAPartnercom
by KezP
Rated: E · Fiction · Relationship · #1694262
Dialogue scene for my writing course. Would love reviews on it.
"You did what?" Dan gaped at his sister.  He stepped aside to let her enter the house.

"I said", Sarah repeated, standing on tip toes to give him a hug, "I signed you up on that new dating website - you know, FindAPartner.com. It's been advertised on TV lately."  She looked up at him with an innocent smile, taking off her sunglasses and perching them on her blonde hair. 

"Oh no, don't give me that look.  You're not getting away with it that easily this time," he warned.  “I’m not a kid anymore.”

Sighing, he closed the door and followed her into his kitchen.  Sarah slung her bag over the back of the wooden kitchen chair and leant against the table.  Dan winced, seeing the kitchen through her eyes - the dirty takeaway containers in the sink, the empty beer bottles on the table from last night.  He’d worked the late shift at the station and had only woken up when Sarah had rung the doorbell.

He crossed to the window to let out the smell of stale sweet & sour pork.  “I told you last time, no more setting me up.”

“Actually,” Sarah corrected, “you said ‘No more setting me up with your friends, sis’.  So, I didn’t.  I put an ad on the website for you instead – you’re pretty popular by the way.”  She rifled through her bag and handed him a stack of printouts.  “I only put the ad on yesterday and these replies all came in for you overnight – must be those brooding dark looks of yours.  I printed them off for you since you still haven’t joined the computer age. ”

“Besides,” she continued.  “I still don’t see what was wrong with any of my friends…”

“Hmm, let’s see,” teased Dan as he switched the kettle on and reached into the cupboard for mugs.  “What about Liz – Liz of the violent ex-husband who threatened to beat me up if I so much as looked at her again…  Or maybe you’re talking about Toni – who was so glued to her iPhone all night I practically had to make an appointment just to talk to her…  Are those the potential sister-in-laws you’re talking about?!”

Sarah laughed, holding her hands up in mock surrender. “Ok, ok, I will admit to a few errors in judgement.  But I just want you to be happy.”

“I am happy, Sar,” said Dan.  He ignored the little voice inside his head whispering Liar.  “Ever since you and Gary got married, you think anyone who isn’t hitched has to be lonely.  I have my job, friends, you and Mum.  What more could a guy want?  I know you mean well, but no more, ok?” 

He cleared off the table, dumping the printouts in the bin along with the empty bottles. 
© Copyright 2010 KezP (kezp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694262-FindAPartnercom