*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694827-Blues-Slate
Rated: GC · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1694827
A Blues artist rediscovers her muse in the arms of a hunky carpenter.
Photo prompt for TWQ rd 2 ~ Art for Blue's Slate






The whine of power tools filtered through her headphones setting Blue's teeth on edge. She had booked this little place in the mountains anticipating peace, quiet and solitude, all the things needed to get her writing back on track. The vining doodles framing the open page in her lap were not what she had hoped for. Tossing her journal aside, she pulled the headphones off in disgust and crossed to the picture window.

Through the lofty pines she could make out a deck taking shape on the neighboring cabin. She caught glimpses of the carpenters, bare to the waist, their muscled torsos slick with sweat in the noonday sun. Lifting damp hair from her neck, she leaned her forehead to the cool glass. The men next door seemed oblivious to the stifling humidity, going about their job with dogged precision. She envied their dedication to craft and missed the feeling of accomplishment that came with doing what you loved and doing it well.

Three hit CDs and non-stop touring had burned Blue out. With the last gig played, no songs ready for the studio, band and crew exhausted, she had stood on the O'Hare's tarmac ... lost. With nowhere to go, she had retreated to the cramped confines of her childhood bedroom in her parents' South Side apartment.

Three months later, it was her record label singing the blues, begging her to get back in the studio, and Blue was coming up empty. It seemed the scarred walls, scribbled with snippets of old lyrics, had lost their magic. The knot of dread that formed in the dark spurred by loud voices and soft cries was still there, but instead of manifesting itself in bluesy angst, she dreamed of a place of her own without fear or the smell of cheap whiskey.

The rumble of ancient air conditioning drew Blue from her gloomy thoughts. Shivering, she shoved away from the window. Stepping outside, she let the sun warm her soul, chasing away the shadows. Spying a walkway framed by old pines, she crossed the yard to investigate. Pushing between the overgrown trees, she started down steps cut into the rock, relishing cool slate against bare feet. The view at the bottom took her breath away.

Water streamed down the sheer slate wall cutting a deep basin in the rock below. Picking her way over the loose rocks, Blue stepped up on the pool's outer ledge. Pines towered overhead and a cool spray misted up surrounding her bare ankles and calves. Enthralled, she walked along the ridge toward the falls. Gripping the protruding rocks she leaned out to let the tumbling water spill over her hand. Giggling like a child and wanting more, Blue searched out a foothold. Feeling her way, she was delighted when the wall curved back behind the falls until she was looking through a translucent curtain.

The tranquility was shattered by a splash at the pool's center. Blue froze. Azure eyes wide, her heart pounded as she searched the rippling water for the monster. Her hand clasped over her mouth when the younger of the two carpenters broke the surface shaking water droplets off his short blond hair. Hidden by the falls, Blue watched him cut through the water with powerful strokes. Feeling a bit like a voyeur, she giggled. His head whipped around. Pale eyes cut through the shroud of water pinning her in place.

A moment later it was his muscled body that pinned her. She gasped as his fist wrapped in her honeyed tresses, tilting her head back to allow firm lips to cover hers. Hands that had flown to his chest in protest, flexed into solid pectorals, skimming flat male nipples. That little voice inside her head preached caution, but the need not to be alone was stronger. Big paws cupped her ass, lifting her to fit snugly against the bulge of his arousal. Their bodies thrust in a pantomime of desire. His lips slashed down over hers, a primal growl of need rumbling in his chest.

Wet denim chafed as it was wrenched down her hips. She fumbled with his heavy Carhartts until he shoved her hands away in impatience. The heat of his desire burned as it sprang against her belly. Cerulean eyes caught and held as he thrust up into her. Her body stretched to accommodate the intrusion and Blue tossed her head back. Stars danced behind tightly clenched lids as her skull bounced off the rocks, but her lips opened in a shattered moan. Need raged through her. Arching into his plunging hips, Blue felt free. Her nails and heels spurred him on, demanding more. Her stud responded well to the whip, pressing her deeper into the wall and pounding into her. Each thrust wrung a cry from her raw throat until he pushed her over the edge. Joining her with a roar he toppled them off the ledge into the water.



Stretched out on the warm rocks Blue scribbled another lyric on the bronze chest beneath her. He opened his mouth and she laid a silencing finger to his lips with a slight shake of her head. His lips curved beneath her touch and her muse sang.





WC ~ 868



*Star* Picture Prompt ~ Tied for 1st Place - Round 2



Written for:


FORUM
The Weekly Quickie Contest  (18+)
Can you excite in 969 words? Romance+ Contest, April 2024 Theme: Conflict
#1355442 by Dawn Embers


© Copyright 2010 Mara ♣ McBain (irish_hussy69 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694827-Blues-Slate