*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694845-Using-Dialogue-Tags
Rated: E · Article · Writing · #1694845
Should you use "Jack said" or "said Jack"? How often should dialogue be interrupted?
Writing Tips on Dialogue Tags


Dialogue tags are the short insertions that identify speakers in a written conversation. They are quick signposts that keep the reader on the right path. When you change paths to another speaker, it is not always necessary to place a tag. Sometimes you can use the character's speech patterns and the natural flow of conversation to identify the change in speakers.

Modern style dictates that all dialogue tags identify the speaker first, and then the action. In other words you should write, "Jason said", rather than "said Jason". Stick to the same ole, same ole, mundane, boring, "Jack said." The reader's subconscious mind will pass over it without flair and never realize they read it. If you are selling your work, little things like this show you are up on the latest writing trends.

Don't use tags such as "Jack said mysteriously," or "Crystal said wryly". Avoid the use of adverbs that end in –ly (in any part of your story). This is another writing trend that editors initiated in 2008.

Readers expect to see tags. They flow with the story and don’t distract from the action, but be clever in how you use them.

When you endorse conversations into your stories, what may have been boring narration and exposition becomes dialogue, and with that change will come an exchange of emotion, pace, conflict and the actions of the characters as they progress through the theme.

Challenge yourself to give life and energy to speech. If you want to know what natural dialogue sounds like, quit talking and listen. Eavesdropping will become your best friend. Eavesdrop everywhere you go. Restaurant talk is fabulous. That is conversation at its best!

Can you hear what your character would say in your mind? If you can't, you don't know your character well enough. Make a list of 50 things about your character, and you will know him/her inside out. When you can hear them speaking in your mind and you can view them as real people, you will be better able to hear their normal conversation.
Always address the following questions.

•          Does the dialogue reflect the speech of real people?
•          Does it bring the reader into the emotion of the scene?
•          Does it flow naturally?

The most common failing of authors is writing meaningless dialogue, or too much dialogue. The reader's mind requires frequent rests to absorb the action, and for that reason, you need to break the dialogue into groups and sprinkle short scenes of settings throughout.

Note: Break your dialogue with words that either build the scene or add to characterization every two or three paragraphs.

Avoid conversations that are one or two-liners, like this:

"How are you?" Jane asked.
"I'm doing good," Jack said.
"So, what's new?"
"Not much."

This kind of conversation is boring and says little or nothing. Every piece of dialogue should exist to further characterization, reveal something to the reader, further the plot, or introduce new material. If your dialogue is there just to make conversation, do some editing.

Visit http://www.creativewritinginstitute.com. This is a 501(c)3 charity that provides writing scholarships for cancer patients. Public tuition helps with this great cause.



© Copyright 2010 Deborah Owen (deborahowen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694845-Using-Dialogue-Tags