*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1695834-Lab-kids-begining
Rated: E · Other · Drama · #1695834
8yr-old Clin is a "Special," or child experiment amazing abilities
Hr.= Handler, a scientist that works directly with testing or managing child experiments


Hr. Lorrain took a sip of her fuming coffee. It was hot and soothing, a safe haven from her hectic morning profession. She slid the thick cup down on the round break-room table and took her pen in her hand. The door to the break-room slid open into the wall and a man entered. Though Hr. Lorrain didn’t notice him-she was too busy recording the events of the day into her daily journal.
“Having fun, Handler?” a deep voice said. Hr. Lorrain looked up at him. He was smooth, suave, his black hair slicked back and made his tan skin look tanner, and his chocolate-brown eyes deeper. Hr. Lorrain sat back in her chair, folding her arms. But she wasn’t angry, she was more impressed.
“Well, well, well, look who it is, Mr. Big shot, Adam Sanchez,” she had a sly smile on her face. He was an old friend who though he was above the field work. She’d known him since grad school and hadn’t seen him in several months. Adam rolled his shoulders, straightening his lab coat with a smile, his perfect white teeth showing. “Hey, I mean, what can I say,” he joked. He pulled a chair from under the table and spun it around so that he was sitting on it, backwards. “I’m a Handler now,” he admitted. Hr. Lorrain thought she’d never see the day. She was loving this-every bit of it. The ‘I’m too high for handling’ man was struck down to her level, lower even.
“So what’s up with you, what are you doing?” he nodded his head to the notebook. Hr. Lorrain looked as if she wanted to say stop trying you’ll never win with me over. But she simply tabbed her pen on the table, her jaw shifting as she stared at him and tried hard not to smile. “This, it’s nothing. I’m just… recording information… about the experiments, you know.” She couldn’t help smiling when she spoke about the experiments, a twinkle in her eye. She loved her work. She loved studying the Specials and trying to utilize their abilities for their advantage-for the public’s advantage.
Adam held back a frown. It was petty work. He couldn’t understand why she seemed to enjoy it so much, why anyone enjoyed testing freaks and worse… talking to them. She was kind of strange herself. But she was beautiful-and smart. Her starry black eyes and sandy colored hair always tied up into a ponytail. Not that he had a chance. She would rather spend weeks in the physical handling work, raising and studying the Specials than having fun around the town, and meeting new people.
Hr. Lorrain scribbled something in her notepad. I meant the newest Special today. And it is outstanding how connected I feel with him already, like he is not a mutant at all. He’s the youngest experiment we have. Two years, three months, and eleven days. He is extremely intelligent and relatively normal looking with fair skin, no hair and giant stunning green eyes. His number was registered as 3021 but I’ve taken the liberty of naming him… Clin, taken from the word clinical or “used in medical practice, as opposed to just in research”, because I fully believe his savvy’s will be a large aide in the medical field.
Suddenly the door swung open again. “Handler Lorrain!” A frantic handler cried. “It’s 1022! He’s freaking out, Lorrain!” 1022. The morphing twin. He was only ten but he was able to morph easily into a full sized rhino in five seconds flat. Hr. Lorrain shot Adam a glance that said I’m really sorry about this. He shrugged, you gotta do what you gotta do. She leaped from her chair and trailed the handler.

SIX YEARS LATER…
CHAPTER 1
Clin lowered his back onto the table and winced. The metal was freezing and sent a shiver down his spine. Even the back of his head was freezing, since he had no hair-another result of lab research. He wasn’t wearing a shirt because his handler wanted to examine his internal organs. Clin laid his legs out and his hands away from his sides as she’d instructed. His handler was Hr. Lorrain, even though he never really thought of her as a handler before. She was more like a mom that was also his doctor and a scientist that wanted to study him. But she wasn’t alone in her studies; there was also his nurse, Mrs. Melina, and anesthesiologist, Dr. Taylor, who often checked up on him. It was strange to live in a building with all of them all the time, maybe, but it was his life. Clin didn’t mind that he never left the AFSY, or Advancement for Special Youths. It was his home, his shelter form all crime and inhumanity.
“Now suck in a deep breath for me, Clin,” Hr. Lorrain said. Her voice was kind and sweet like candy. Clin did, his jade eyes scanning the colorless ceiling. Really it wasn’t colorless, it was grey. The whole building was grey-inside and out. Even his room was grey. He’d asked her if he could someday paint it but to no avail. She’d said the paint fumes would upset his lungs.
Clin watched as the x-ray passed over his stomach. It was attached to two thin beams that slid against the edges of the table and made an elevator sound as it passed over him. The actual x-ray screen was less than an inch thick and shoebox-size in width. The Handlers and researchers leaned in closer to examine the screen. Clin shifted his body, uncomfortably. He hated being crowed around. He felt small-and weird, like he was some sort of strange specimen they needed to pick at.
Clin could feel his heart thump at his small ribcage. He was sure they all could hear it-the adults. Hr. Lorrain glanced down at him, almost a smile on her face. She didn’t smile often, not when the adults where around, but she loved Clin. She loved him like he was a person and not a Special. Her cherry lips where all he could see of her expression as her eyes were shaded with black x-ray approved goggles. Her brunette hair was tied up into a ponytail like always. Clin wondered why he didn’t notice the goggles before before.
Soon the x-ray clicked and started to slide slowly down Clin’s stomach, not touching him once, until it reached the end of the table. The screen turned vertically and the glowing light died. The screen grew black reminding Clin of a tiny chalk board. And the X-ray slid down into a tiny compartment in the edge of the table and locked into place by Clin’s feet.
Hr. Lorrain removed her shades and white doctor gloves. “You may sit up now, Clin,” she said, shallowly. Clin figured it was only because the adults where there. He sat up and a doctor handed him a white and blue spotted coat. He slipped his arms through the sleeves and buttoned the shirt himself. The testing was over, finally, and now he could breathe a sigh of relief.
“Approved for physical?” Clin heard one woman say. Hr. Lorrain nodded slightly and Clin heard the woman scribble something down. “Proceed to Clin’s room,” Hr. Lorrain said glancing down at Clin.


© Copyright 2010 Dream-out-loud (sierrat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1695834-Lab-kids-begining