*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696730-What-You-Didnt-Know
Rated: E · Monologue · Dark · #1696730
Something that's been brewing underneath for awhile
                                                                              What You Didn’t Know

         You knew I was late at bringing you the ice water you had asked for. I know you knew this because the nurse who relieved me that day told me about how you complained for quite some time about it. You knew you didn’t want to be in the hospital on Christmas Eve. But here are a few things you didn’t know.
         You didn’t know that my other patient, a 23 year old daughter of a loving family, mother of a 3 year old boy, had just gone from bad to very much worse. You didn’t know how I kept my voice calm in the room as I told my aide to call for the doctor even though my internal voice was screeching. You didn’t know, as I did, that her heart was going to fail her three seconds before she did. You didn’t know the fear in her mother’s eyes as I caught her gaze as I was compressing her daughter’s chest. You didn’t know about the controlled chaos that the code team always brings with it, the intubation, the bagging, the endless rounds of code drugs. You didn’t know the word I uttered when the doctor finally gave up, nor the hatred with which it was uttered. You didn’t know I was left alone in the room to clean up the aftermath, to make a very unnatural scene look somewhat natural for the family when they came back in. You didn’t know that while I was getting that ice water that you received late I was thinking about what I could have possibly missed that would have made a difference. You didn’t know that by the time I gave you that ice water I was blaming myself. You didn't know that after the family left I sat by her and told her how sorry I was that I failed. You didn’t know that on that Christmas morning I wouldn’t be thinking of my son, but of another 3 year old boy instead, a boy who would forever remember Christmas as the day he lost his mother. You didn’t know that a part of me will always remember it that way as well.
         You didn’t know any of these things because I didn’t let you see them as I gave you that ice water, late as it was. I simply apologized and asked if there was anything else I could do for you. The fact that you didn’t know any of those things is a source of pride to me. It proves that I can go about my duties with a calm demeanor, regardless of what calamity  may have happened. That fact says something about me, but as I get older I’m not sure it says anything positive. In fact, it seems to point to something very disturbing indeed.
© Copyright 2010 johnmonroe (johnmonroe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696730-What-You-Didnt-Know