*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696972-Elysium-and-the-Dominions-Prophesy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #1696972
Prologue to first book in YA fantasy series.
Slate entered the forest, his black cloak billowing behind him as he moved swiftly and silently through the trees. The moon, hidden by clouds, made it easier for him to make it to his destination unseen. The mission, he reflected, was easy enough, especially for a dark sorcerer of his power. But it was not without its risks.



He was to execute his part of the plan at only one of the entrances to Elysium, the entrance that was closest to Gehenna. He knew the entrance would be well guarded. It was the reason his master had chosen him to carry out his part of the plan there.



Sometimes, being the most powerful sorcerer in Gehenna has its drawbacks.

He was beginning to get nervous, but he was determined to carry out his master’s orders. To do otherwise would be suicide and Slate intended to stay alive a while longer. Besides, his master would reward him well for his service this night.



Slate smiled greedily, just thinking of his reward. But more than anything, he could not wait to see the look on Zacharias’s face when he returned after successfully completing his mission. That stuck up jerk had been making fun of his powers for years. Tonight would change all of that.



As Slate got nearer to the entrance, he began to hear voices. He slowed his pace and crept closer so he could hear what was being said.

Unable to hide his excitement a moment longer Demetrius said, “He’ll be here in two days from what I’ve heard.”

“You heard correctly, which means you’ve been eavesdropping at the Elder’s door again,” Adrian said, with a disapproving tone.

“I know I shouldn’t have, but I had to know when the boy would be here.”

“Sometimes, knowledge is dangerous. You would do well to remember that from now on, especially when referring to the boy. You never know who may be listening.”

“Oh, quit worrying so much. There isn’t anyone out here but the two of us right now.”

“You can never be too sure,” Adrian said, trying to focus on the surrounding forest.



Demetrius chose to ignore that comment and continued to talk eagerly about all he would teach the boy. He talked about swords, javelins, spears, archery, and hand-to-hand combat skills that he felt would be vital to the boy’s education. Adrian rolled his eyes, praying for the patience that he would need to continue listening to Demetrius’s seemingly endless prattle.



Suddenly, Adrian noticed a movement in the forest. He tried to concentrate on finding what was there, and ignore Demetrius at the same time, but he finally lost his patience.

“Be quiet for one blessed minute!” he scolded. “Can’t you see I’m trying to concentrate?”



Demetrius stood quiet for a moment, letting the aura of the forest flow around him. The aura of life from the trees, grass, birds, and other living things was steady and strong. But he sensed the aura of something else; something that sent a shiver down his spine. Adrian had already sensed it.

“There is something out there Demetrius,” Adrian whispered.

“I feel it too. Any idea of what it could be?”

“Only that it is evil. Be ready for anything.”



Slate shifted nervously in the shadows. The Guardians were alert to his presence. This was not supposed to happen. At least, not until it was too late. Slate cursed his poor judgment of moving so close. He knew Guardians had sharp senses. He knew that they were all trained to sense evil. He also knew if they found him there he was as good as dead.



Suddenly, a snake slithered up to him and hissed, “The Dark Lord will claim his throne.” That was the signal. It was time to execute the plan, and not a moment too soon.

Slate thrust his hand into the leather pouch tied around his waist and pulled out a small glass vial. It was full of a black liquid. He whispered an incantation as he poured the liquid onto the ground, saving just enough for his own transformation.



Tilting the bottle back he swallowed the last of the liquid. It was vile and nearly made him vomit, but the effect it had on his body was instant. He no longer had arms, legs, or a body. The only things left unchanged were his eyes. The liquid had transformed him into the same dense fog that was now rapidly spreading through the forest. The potion had worked and it made him feel invincible. He headed straight for Adrian, the bigger of the two Guardians.



Adrian watched as a dense fog suddenly formed and began creeping toward them. He did not like the looks of that fog one little bit. There was something sinister about it and he could have sworn he saw a pair of yellow eyes glaring at him from within it. But when he looked again the eyes were gone. Whatever evil that fog held, he was not about to let it enter Elysium.

“Demetrius, do you remember how to seal the entrance?” he asked.

Demetrius looked at Adrian, eyes wide with shock. “Yes I remember. But don’t you think that’s a bit rash?”

“Listen, I don’t know what’s in that fog, but it isn’t good. I will not let it enter Elysium. Just promise me that you will seal the entrance if I give the order.”



Demetrius did not like the way Adrian was talking. He didn’t want to make a promise he couldn’t keep. Adrian was his partner, his superior, but he was also his brother. How could he promise to seal the entrance if Adrian was in trouble? On the other hand, how could he let something evil enter Elysium? He did not like the thought of either, but he knew he had to give an answer.

They were trained to protect Elysium at all costs, even their own lives. Reluctantly, Demetrius agreed to seal the entrance if ordered to do so. He then sent up a silent prayer that such drastic measures would not have to be taken.



While Demetrius was praying, Adrian was frantically searching the dense fog for any sign of the evil being that lurked within. If he could only find those blasted eyes again he would be able to attack.



The attack was sudden. Adrian was knocked to the ground, his arms and legs pinned down by the being within the fog. He struggled to get free and nearly managed it, but Slate quickly repositioned himself so that Adrian would not be able to move. Then Slate began concentrating on the incantation he felt would inflict the most pain.



Demetrius was running towards Adrian, ready to jump into the fog, when the first laceration appeared on Adrian’s chest. The scream that came from him was heard miles away. It made Demetrius’s heart beat frantically and his stomach clenched up in fear. He drew his sword and began running toward the fog, desperate to save his brother.



“Stop!” Adrian yelled when he saw Demetrius running towards him. “You must go back and seal the entrance!”



Demetrius stopped, but he did not turn back. He was torn between his duty to protect Elysium and his need to save his only brother. Another laceration appeared on Adrian’s chest, a deeper cut than the last. That decided it. Demetrius started running towards his brother, determined to save him.



Adrian could feel himself getting weaker and knew it was only a matter of time before his attacker turned their attention to Demetrius and Elysium. He had to stop Demetrius from coming any closer. “Go back,” he pleaded. “You must go back and seal the entrance. All of Elysium is depending on you. Seal the entrance before it’s too late.”

“I can’t leave you here to fight this thing alone!” Demetrius protested.

“You must leave now. I can’t hold on much longer. Go, now!”



Demetrius could hear the desperation and pain in his brother’s voice. “Hold on just a little longer brother. I will return with help.”

Demetrius turned and ran for Elysium. He prayed that he would get back in time with reinforcements. Quickening his pace he at last entered Elysium. Elder Jonas was running toward him with his white robes flying and a grave look on his face. When he reached Demetrius, he was nearly frantic. “Where is Adrian?” he asked. “Elysium is under attack at every entrance!”



“Every entrance? Can we not fight it sir? Does no one know what it is?”

The Elder shook his head, “Sadly we do not and we can’t fight it. Already we have lost two Guardians and I do not wish to lose more. Tell me where Adrian is.”



“I need reinforcements. Adrian is out there fighting alone.” Demetrius turned to go back and help his brother and yelled over his shoulder, “Send out those reinforcements as soon as possible!” Before Demetrius could get through the entrance, however, the Elder grabbed him by the arm.

“I’m sorry Demetrius. I can’t let you go back out there.”

“But my brother…”

“Would want you to be safe. He would want Elysium to be safe as well.”

“I can’t leave him to fight alone!” Demetrius protested, struggling to free himself from the Elder’s grip.

“I can’t let you go out there after him. I will not lose more Guardians this night than I already have! Now help me with the seal before it’s too late for us all.”



Demetrius did not argue further. He knew it wouldn’t do him any good. Elder Jonas meant to seal the entrance, with or without his help. Sorrow and pain welled up inside him as he helped seal the entrance. It felt as if he were sealing his brother’s tomb.



Adrian continued to struggle with his attacker. He was weak, but he was not going to give up until he knew Elysium was safe. Twisting and turning he tried to get loose, but only succeeded in suffering more lacerations. When Adrian heard the entrance being sealed, he gave up his fight, knowing that at least his brother and Elysium were safe.



Just as Slate was about to deal Adrian a fatal blow a bright light flashed all around them. The fog was burned off, revealing to Adrian who his attacker was. “Slate!” he spat angrily.

“Time for me to go,” Slate said as he disappeared in a flash of whirling robes.



The anger Adrian felt built up so suddenly that he could not contain it. Rolling over he released a flash of light from his palm, hitting the nearest tree and reducing it to sawdust. The release of energy drained him of his remaining strength. The last thing he remembered before passing out was a young woman standing over him whispering, “I’m here to help you.”
© Copyright 2010 Inkling (inklingwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696972-Elysium-and-the-Dominions-Prophesy