*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697521-A-Fresh-Face-Chapter-3
by AgentV
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Teen · #1697521
Chapter 3 of my vampire novella Check out my portfolio for the intro and other chapters :)
Madeline takes us to a small town outside of Douglas, called Haverhill. A lot of affluent people live here in huge mansions. Shopping is expensive and dining even more so. When my dad sells a lot of cars we come here for dinner, but not too many people are buying cars now. Madeline fits in here. She exudes wealth and power. I wonder what she was doing in boring Douglas, in a mall of all places. We pull into a parking lot of an old church that I know to be haunted. Haverhill Roman Catholic Church has been here forever. I actually had a friend that lived here when I was young, Andy was his name. His father and mine used to work together at the dealership. I came to his house one Halloween. It was a big thing when we were seven to sneak into the graveyard of this church and that's what we did that Halloween. No one would get close enough to the church at night though. It was too scary for us littles, but we saw cloaked apparitions sometimes.

"Weird," Kylie says softly. "Why would a bunch of vampires come to a church? Aren't you guys afraid of crosses and holy water?"

Giggling, I say, "If I can walk in the sunlight what makes you think that crosses and holy water scare me? I suppose silver bullets kill werewolves too?"

"Are those real too?" A sudden realization dawns on her face.

"I don't know, Kylie, and I don't think I'd want to. Let's get out of the car. Madeline is staring at us."

We approach the enormous stone doors of this mammoth church. Madeline opens the door and to my surprise the decor is very modern and colorful! Designer furniture, chrome fixtures and an array of pop art prints make the setting actually comfortable and inviting. There are many people, or vampires I guess, conversing around coffee tables, reading magazines and newspapers and flirting at a small bar.

Madeline turns to us, "Do you swear not to tell others the nature of this church and its patrons?"

"I swear," Kylie pledges.

"I swear. What is this place?" I ask in wonderment. "Are all these people vampires? Is this like a special coven or something?"

"Not all are damned. The owner John Williams III, who isn't present at the moment, bought this old church 24 years ago from the town in hopes of creating a meeting place for all damned, and not damned if they wished to accompany us. A lot of the humans here are blood slaves. It's a barbaric term, but it's pretty self explanatory."

"Planning on making me your blood slave, Twyla?" Kylie chuckles.

"Don't tempt me," I smile, letting my fangs slip out. Kylie gasps. "I'm only kidding!"

"I know, you just never did the fangy thing before. It was a little freaky."

"Walk around, check things out and don't go on the third floor if you don't wish to see fellow damned, uh," Madeline pauses with a devilish grin, "playing with their humans."

"Oh," I stutter. "Alright, we'll make note of that."

Kylie's adventurous side peeks out and she wanders over to the small bar. I follow to make sure nothing bad happens. Leaving my best friend alone around a bunch of vampires doesn't sound like such a good idea to me. Three guys and one girl are seated. The two guys seem to be friends and the girl is talking to the third guy with her back turned away from the other two. Kylie sits down next to the two friends and I take a seat at her far side. The bartender, wearing a very formal coat with tails, walks over.

"My name is Christoff. What can I get for you lovely young ladies? It's a bit early for shots but I can make you anything you want." He greets us.

"Do you have Corona?" Kylie asks quietly.

"But of course. You girls are 21, right?" Christoff winks at us. He slides an open Corona in front of Kylie before she could blink. I wonder if I do normal things that fast and just don't notice it.

"Yes! Awesome! Thank you!" Kylie smiles.

"You're very welcome, and what can I get for you ma'am?" he turns to me.

"I was actually wondering if we can consume alcohol. I'm new at this and everything I've tried to drink makes me sick, besides the obvious."

"We can consume 100% alcoholic drinks, which means no orange or cranberry juice, but we have orange and cranberry vodka. It works just as well, if not better." he laughs to himself.

"In that case, can I have a Jack and Coke? They make cola flavored vodka right?"

"Gettin' fancy!" Kylie nudges me.

"Right away," and he meant it too. Thirty seconds later a fizzling drink was at my finger tips. "Enjoy."

I swivel around to take in the atmosphere, sipping my drink. Wow this is strong! I guess there are civilized vampires besides the undead cretins in the night clubs praying on 15 year old girls. These people actually seem nice; normal. Maybe this won't be so bad.

"Hi, I'm Tristan," the handsome young man sitting next to Kylie introduces himself to her. She seems to be dazzled by his crystal green eyes and smooth tanned skin. I keep an ear out just in case. Kylie acknowledges him with a smile.

"You're new here?" he continues.

"This is our first time here," Kylie leans back, revealing me. "It's really nice."

That's my cue, "Hi Tristan, I'm Twyla." I give him a "she's mine" grimace with a contorted grin.

"I see, nice you meet you too, Twyla. It's always nice to see a fresh face in here." I nod and sip the bitter Jack. "May I give you two a small tour?"

Kylie glances questioning eyes in my direction. "Sounds okay to me," I agree.

"Bring your drinks. Christoff is fast to dispose of unattended glasses. I'll start with a small history lesson. I'm sure Madeline told you who the owner was, but did she tell you about him?" Tristan begins.

"John Williams III, or something. She just mentioned his name. She said he isn't here today." I recall.

"Alright then, John was found by Madeline 27 years ago. Your parents might remember his missing persons report. He was stabbed by his wife's jealous lover and thrown in the Hubert River that flows through Downtown Douglas. Enjoying the moonlight one night, Madeline happened upon his limp, floating body. She immediately recognized his face from TV and knew him to be a good, honest man. A human would have thought he was dead, but Madeline heard his heart struggling to beat. Being the compassionate vampire she is, Madeline gave him a new life. He is still to this day a very powerful business man. Surprising his wife and her lover, he returned to his home and divorced her. She got very little from the settlement. A few years later Madeline showed John this old church and decided to make it a non profit recreation center for vampires and anyone brave enough to accompany us. All vampires and humans are sworn to secrecy about the nature of the center. We don't want police or reporters asking questions."

"That's awesome. Other people know about us?" I ask. Tristan comes to a large marble staircase with sunburst orange carpet.

"Some humans are friends, like you Kylie," he lightly touches Kylie's hair then begins to climb the massive staircase. I notice Kylie shiver as goosebumps stand the hairs on her arms. "Some are curious, hearing rumors about a vampire haven. The doors are unlocked from the hours of 8:00 a.m. til 12:00 a.m. It's open to the public, but majority of the public has forgotten about this old church. We don't advertise or encourage the vampires that come here to be publicly open about their damned life. Most are told it is forbidden after they are reborn. We do not allow this place to be a hunting ground for unsuspecting humans either. Interaction with the living keeps our fading souls alive." Am I going to get this mushy after 200 years?

Kylie and I stare down a long dimly lit hallway. The orange carpet flows from the stairs throughout the second floor. Down the hallway black stone statuettes fill the spaces between each red door. The walls are painted white to help carry light from the few lamps placed here and there. Kylie and I just stare in awe. This place is utterly amazing. I would have never thought this place to be so cultivated. I was picturing spider webs and a giant organ with melted candles covering every square inch of counter top before Madeline opened the door.

"Some humans come here, looking to have a paranormal experience. These rooms used to belong monks in the early 1900's. One of them became deranged and murdered his fellow brothers in their sleep, then hung himself in this bedroom. Most people have forgotten, but we get a handful of groups each year that ask to sleep in the rooms on this floor. The third floor is absolutely off limits to visitors who don't know the nature of our regulars."

"So, this place really is haunted?" Kylie asks.

"Oh, most definitely. During the witching hour the monks can be seen wandering this hallway almost nightly. Some of the rooms have been turned into gambling rooms, a few are small theatres you can bring dvd's to, some are updated rooms for ghost hunters to stay in and some have been left as they were for a historical touch," Tristan walks along opening the old red doors.

"We attract a handful of young adults that live a Gothic lifestyle. They like to role play as vampires and think they are among other role players. It's really funny, actually."

"I bet it is. People pretending to be vampires, unknowingly hanging out with vampires. Do any of them ever get turned into vampires?" I don't find the amusement here..

"As I said before, we don't encourage it, but I can't say it hasn't happened. The third floor has been the birthplace of some vampires who come here. They start out as blood slaves and become attached to their vampire and ask for the gift, as they call it. If we notice a pattern with certain vampires they are nicely asked not to return. Sometimes the message isn't clear enough and they get dealt with in the basement."

"Oh!" Kylie gasps. "That's one way of keeping the peace!"

"Don't worry, dear." He looks deeply at Kylie. "It hasn't happened in years. Do you wish to see the third floor? The rooms are breathtaking. We lavishly decorate them to fulfill your deepest fantasies."

"No thanks," Kylie and I say in unison. Tristan throws a harsh glance my way, just long enough for only me to notice.

"Thanks for the tour Tristan, I think we'll be on our way now." Kylie nods in agreement. We walk down the large staircase, drop our half empty glasses off at the bar and head out the door. Madeline opens the door for us.

"I hope he didn't scare you off and you'll visit us again," she says with hopeful eyes.

"Ya, thanks for bringing us here. I'll see you later." We hurry through the door.

Kylie and I get into my car and drive away from the vast, old church.

"That guy, Tristan, was a little strange. It was nice of him to show us around but something about him was off." I break the silence.

"I thought he was cute, but there was something odd. He was too friendly. Something tells me they don't do that to everyone that goes there." Kylie says.

"I don't know. The place is beautiful and it's great that John Williams Whoever wanted to have somewhere for lonely vamps to go, but there is something eerie about it all. Tristan made me feel uncomfortable. I don't like the way he looked at you. I don't know if you noticed but he only looked at you." I point out.

"I didn't, sorry."

"Man, we were there for a while. It's almost 6:00! I have to get home and choke down dinner then throw it up after I'm done torturing myself." The large trees hanging over the street filter out only a tiny bit of sunlight and I shuffle around inside my purse for my shades.

"Twyla, that's horrible! I wish I could make you feel better," Kylie rubs my shoulder, sorrow filling her eyes.

"I wish you could too. Being here for me helps a lot. Not too many people would be understanding of my problem." I try to smile, keeping my eyes on the road.

"Oh!" Kylie jumps, "Text message, haha! Hmm, my mom says she's not cooking dinner, great."

"You can eat with us if you want. You know my mom... will have.. something good on the table." I sigh.

"I'd love to eat with your family. I'll be there for mental support," Kylie fights back a giggle.

"Oh, joy," I say with more than a hint of sarcasm.

The sun pokes in and out of the hill side as it sets, filling the sky with a fiery orange hue. A few minutes later, the sun a few inches lower, Kylie points out that the sky has become a beautiful blood red. I just kind of look at her.

"I'm so sorry, Twyla! I should really apply the thinking before I speak rule.."

"It's okay. I wasn't offended." I assure her. A few moments of silence pass. I turn my head to look at Kylie and she glances at me, then bursts into uncontrollable laughter. I can't help myself and laugh with her.

"Blood red," she whispers to herself.

"Well, blood is a little darker, and when it's pooled on the ground it almost looks black around the edges." I explain.

"Ew, Twyla! Thanks for that tidbit of information.." I just snicker, smiling at her.

Kylie sighs and rolls her eyes, "I guess this is something I have to get used to too, huh?"

"Yep, you got it! You and me both." My smile's wide now.

Twenty minutes later the sun's almost absent from the "blood red" sky and I'm feeling awake; wish it were the opposite. As we walk through my front door my mom is setting our large mahogany table. Before saying "Hi", she notices Kylie behind me and grabs a fourth plate from the cabinet. My mom sets the table eloquently with spring colored floral place mats. All the silverware is put delicately in place around the white ivy framed melamine dishes. They change with every season, besides the silverware of course.

"Hey girls! Homemade alfredo and italian bread tonight!" Damn, that's my favorite. At least I'll enjoy the flavor.

"Hey, sweetheart," My dad embraces me from behind, kissing my hair.

"Hi, daddy," I squeeze his arms around me, taking in his scent and warmth. He always smells like Old Spice.

"How're you doin' kiddo?" He greets Kylie.

"Hi Greg. I'm doin' good. Makin' those A's!" My parents hate being called Mr. and Mrs. Davis.

"Good to hear. I think you and T here are the only ones making them," he chuckles.

"It's wouldn't surprise me," I chime in.

"Alright, everyone come to the table. Dinner is ready." We all sit down at the large table. My mom begins distributing pasta, starting with my dad. She always gives him the most. Kylie get's a good lump.

"Not too much, mom. I ate a few hours ago and I'm still half full. Thanks." My mom could sell her alfredo. She hasn't one bit of Italian in her but damn is this good!

"You rushed off in a hurry this morning, Twyla. What was the urgency for?" My mom interrogates me.

"Jesse had to ask me something very important, and no, over the phone wasn't good enough." She gives me an earnest smile.

"Well, what was it?" she asks. My pasta is getting harder and harder to swallow.

"He asked me out," I mutter.

"It's about time, you've been driving that boy bonkers since you, uh.." My dad clears his throat, making faces at my mom.

"-became a young woman," she continues.

"Good save," Kylie calls.

I can feel my face get hot. My mom stares at me. "I said yes, alright?" Kylie giggles with a mouthful of pasta, a few strings slipping through her lips.

"Just be safe," mom whispers, as if Kylie and my dad weren't sitting two feet away.

"Mom!" I whine.

"I'm just saying. I know how teenagers are. You get wrapped up in the moment and forget certain things.."

"Well, I've lost my appetite," I tease, even though my stomach is starting to churn. I hint to Kylie, "You almost done?"

She stares at me blankly for a second, "Oh, oh yeah. Two more bites, I promise."

"Here's some bread, Twyla," my mom dangles a piece of luscious, spongy white bread with perfect golden brown crust in my face. I swallow hard.

"No thanks, Ma. I'm full, really."

"But you always love my bread," she looks hurt.

"Break it in half?" I almost whimper. Kylie looks at me as if she's fearing for my stomach. My mom smiles and butters the other half for herself. The piece of bread is gone in thirty seconds and I wash it down with a tiny bit of milk.

"Thanks for dinner mom," a little burp escapes my lips. I calmly walk my dishes to the sink, Kylie following.

"You gonna be okay?" Kylie asks, keeping distance.

"No, but I can make it to the bathroom." I say quietly. Luckily my bathroom is on the other side of the house and the fan is loud. As soon as I'm out of sight I bolt down the hall and stick my head in the toilet. Kylie runs up behind me and gathers my hair back. A mixture of alfredo and tears fall into the toilet. Kylie rubs my back. I heave one more time and it's over with, finally.

"Feel better?" Kylie hands me a wad of toilet paper.

"Yes, and No," I sniffle, and wipe my face off. Kylie wraps me in a gentle hug. I begin to sob into her shoulder.

"You know, I've tried to kill myself. Nothing works. I tried to O.D. on every drug possible. I got really fucked up then puked my brains out. I tried to hang myself from my ceiling fan. When the popcorn started to dust my shoulders I decided to let myself down, which wasn't easy. I took a bath and electrocuted myself with my hair dryer. That feels really strange and everything shocks you for the next hour." Kylie holds me tighter as I sob. "I was hit by a car in Sinclair. I've even slit my wrists. I watched the slices close up in a matter of seconds."

"I'm so, so sorry for you, Twyla. I just don't know what to do for you." she looks at me, wiping tears from her own eyes.

"Smoke a bowl with me later?" I crack a smile through my tears.

"That I can do, my friend. That I can do."
© Copyright 2010 AgentV (agentv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697521-A-Fresh-Face-Chapter-3