*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697872-Artwalk
by Bliss
Rated: E · Essay · Arts · #1697872
A short essay about how to attend an artwalk or gallery opening with confidence.
    You walk into an art gallery during the First Friday Artwalk in Ashland. You get your complimentary glass of wine and are standing in front of a painting that makes absolutely no sense to you. The artist showing ambles over and asks "What do you think of my work?" If you find yourself stuttering and then awkwardly silent, maybe you need to brush up on your art appreciation skills.
    First, look for the artist's statement. This is usually placed by the grouping of artwork showing. The statement consists of a short blurb about the artist, medium used, galleries where they have shown and a bit about where they get their inspiration. This is a quick strategy to use to get an overview of the art being presented.
    Secondly, take a look at the subject matter. Is it a landscape? Mountains, lakes and forests are common themes and are probably something you can relate to. Mentally put yourself in the painting. What feelings does it evoke? Imagine a scent. Can you sense wind or a storm approaching? Can you hear the birdsong? Do you feel the sand squishing beneath your feet? Use all of your senses. Is the work socially, politically or religiously influenced?
    Thirdly, look at the visual elements. These consist of lines, tones, shapes, textures and colors. Notice the thinness or thickness of the line, the brightness or subtleties of color. Does it have primarily geometric or flowing, sensual shapes? Look at the texture of the paint. How do the colors make you feel? Notice the interspaces, (spaces between things). The negative space can be just as interesting as the positive space. How does it enhance the work? Did the artist use oil paint, acrylic or pastels? Often an artist will combine elements. This is called mixed media.
    Fourthly, contrast refers to strong differences in scale, lights, darks and activity. Is the painting busy or quiet? Where is the emphasis? What is the movement like? Do your eyes follow a particular direction? Balance is usually organized either symmetrically or asymmetrically. Does it have formal or expressive elements of style? Formal style includes subdued color, quiet movement, geometric shapes and is symmetrical. Expressive style includes organic, curved lines, splashy color, fast movement and is asymmetrical.
    Fifthly, is the painting Abstract, Surreal, Impressionistic or Realistic? Is there symbolism involved? What does it mean to you? You can't be wrong. Interpretation is up to the individual. Art can sometimes express what words cannot. That is part of the magic.
    This is a good time to get another glass of that wine. Now that your senses are involved on a deeper level and you are noticing individual brushstrokes, color, line, style and media used, congratulate yourself for opening and expanding your mind. Art is an important part of daily life. It triggers us to think about ourselves, our values and our view of the world. It may even outrage us. By understanding how to really look at art we gain a better understanding of life and all of its nuances.
    Now when an artist walks up to you at the First Friday Artwalk you can confidently and knowledgably answer when they ask you that inevitable question "What do you think about my work?"
© Copyright 2010 Bliss (juniper56 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697872-Artwalk