*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698962-Glass-Cities--Chapter-2--RawNo-Editing
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Horror/Scary · #1698962
The second part to the apocalyptic struggle...
The shadows of the night crept into the room from the window. A mixture between them created a violet shining onto the desk of paperwork.

“Damnit Shockley, you know I didn’t want to resort to this, but hell we’re not going to stay here cooped up like pigs and with all the noise we’ve made we might as well hang a big billboard covered in lights that advertises free meat inside. Get your things and if you’re gonna bring him, then make sure he suits up. We’ll leave as soon as these files are finished downloading and you teach clueless the basics. ETA to our next destination is four hours. Both of you pick up your asses and get something done.”

“Let’s go sunshine, unless of course, you know, you want your intestines ripped out from right under you.”

He continued to nod. He hadn’t said anything since the man talked about someone dooming them all to hell. They walked down the hall and made a right at the windows they were at earlier that day. A door at the end of the hall had stay the fuck out written across it in neon pink spray-paint. It was slightly cracked open and the glass window covered with layered strips of duct tape. She pushed the door open with the barrel of her pistol and flicked the lights on. Luminescence fired up from where they stood and in order went from light to light until the whole room was lit. Guns completely covered the wall ranging from small pistols to RPGs.

“Grab as many as you can take while still being able to shoot,” she said. It was the first time that he’d seen her with a completely serious face. This time the laughter wasn’t hidden behind her cheek bones or on the tip of her tongue because this time it didn’t make it past her throat.

He sauntered to a table under the pistols and picked up two holsters and clipped them to his jeans, one for each side. Pulling the strap holster over like a shirt he slid a sub-machine gun in each, both of them loaded to capacity. Shockley placed a pump action shotgun from the wall adjacent to him in the back straps.

“Getting heavy yet,” she asked him.

“Not really.”

“Here we go then.”

He could sense a smile had come across her face. He was smiling too until he could feel his back sink as she lifted a bag on to his back The backpack rattled when he propped himself up. They were bullets and lots of them. A red bandana wrapped around his head and then was tied at the back. Two hands reached from behind, two fingers outstretched. Each one of them was covered in black war paint all the way to the first indent. It felt cold rubbing across his cheeks. Her fingers slid off his face and dived into a rag rubbing the remaining black off.

“Now that you’re geared I’ll be showing you the basics.”

“Okay let’s see them.”

“Well basically all you have to know about the basics is that you always shoot them in the face, thus destroying their brain. The only time you ever shoot them anywhere else is if it’s to draw them out, into a larger group. You see, they don’t hunt in groups. They don’t even know that there’s more of them. They can however, alert one another that food is in the area. It seems as if they have an animal like instinct, something like a mating call, only it’s more like a dinner bell. Fortunate for us they don’t mate, right,” she laughed.

They walked back out the door and stood by the window-scape again looking down on the city lights. The darkness that night lacked familiarity. It wasn’t the abandoned cars every two feet, the pools of dried blood lining the streets or even the absence of car horns from the assholes of everyday life, but more like the feeling that something was out there, something that he let off the leash.

“C’mon we have to leave.” He looked back at her, already down the hall waving him to get over there. He closed his eyes. “Asshole, what are you waiting for,” she chuckled.

“Nothing, I’m coming.”

“You know, he’s the kind of person who would blow this building to bits with us still inside, if him surviving depended on it…just something to keep in mind.”

“Oh I could tell, but I know for a fact he wouldn’t leave you. He seems like he cares about you a lot, like a daughter or even sister, but we can talk about this later when you tell me the whole story in the car, by the way what will we be riding in this lovely night?”

“You’ll see...you’ll see.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This coldness kept nipping at his neck as they looked out the front door, waiting for Aviator to show up. It was a mix between knowing that four dead bodies were right behind him taunting him and the other part of the mix being that Shockley had her foot in the door and a breeze circled him from outside.
A domino black 2010 Range Rover pulled up in front of the building and the passenger window rolled down, “We have a whole lot of dead weight following us so feel free to get in the car now before I leave you both."

She threw the door open breaking its hinges and was the first one in the car. He took the bag of ammo and sat it in the middle seat of the back and closed the door. He side stepped and pulled the handle on the passenger door and fitting his rear in the leather seat.

“We have to time this right,” Aviator said pulling away slowly.

“What, did I miss something,” he said.

“Nothing you won’t find out about sooner or later, giver take about ten seconds.”

He looked to the rear watching a mass of people rounding the corner coming right at them. Aviator floored it, watching them speed up. As the mass passed the building something clicked that he could hear from the car. Each one of the buildings floors started turning orange. The window for only a second looked as if the glass absorbed the color and made beautiful pieces from floor to roof. It was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. Then the glass shot out towards them nailing some of the dead in the back of the head ending them. The building started to collapse from top to bottom coming down on the mass killing the last of them. With the rubble on top of them they couldn’t run for them.

Thick puffs of dust and dirt followed them down the street and every few seconds he would look back on it to see if it had dissipated yet. Before they turned on to the next street and left the cloud behind them he glanced back to see Shockley sprawled across the whole seat and the ammo bag moved to the floor.

“I never got the chance to thank you for saving me from the little situation this morning.”

“No problem. The only thing I actually enjoy about this is I ain’t got to take shit from no one and I get to shoot, crush, grind, smash, run over, and blow up these sons of bitches whenever the hell I feel like it.”

“I see.”

“Well yah---an she---al ued.”

Aviator’s speech slowed down when Koen closed his eyes. Everything became perplexing and slurred and then nothing.

© Copyright 2010 The 7th Survivor (bloodismyhobby at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698962-Glass-Cities--Chapter-2--RawNo-Editing