*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699011-The-Accidental-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1699011
Raymond's release from the hospital changed not only his life.
“… eleven, twelve, thirteen.” Raymond counted aloud as he ascended the steps to his apartment. His hand plunged into his pocket and retrieved his keys. He counted out ten to himself, and dangled the first key from his fingertips. He turned the key in the lock and heard it ‘click’.

Two kids riding bicycles on the sidewalk cruised by. “Hey look. It’s Raymond. Better hurry, Shawn, the curse of Raymond will get you!” Both pedaled faster as they rounded the corner out of sight.

Raymond swung the door open with his pointer finger and entered. Using the same finger he closed the door on the same spot on the opposite side. With the same routine, he opened his apartment door.

Jillianne sat on the sofa. “Hi, Raymond.”

“Hello.” Raymond stared at the floor.

“Did you remember I was going to be here?”

“No. I… I didn’t. Sorry.” His eyes darted from object to object but never to her.

“You’ll get used to it. The hospital released you just a month ago.”

“I went to the post office. It’s where you mail letters.”

“You don’t have to mail letters there. The mailman will get them.”

“Post office. It’s where you mail letters,” He repeated, “No mail for me.”

“Did you see Dr. Rogers today?”

“No. He doesn’t help me.”

“Yes, Raymond, he does. He helps your memory a lot. You remember things much better with him. That’s where you were suppose to go. Just two blocks down. You remember me telling you?”

“No.”

“Raymond, look at me. Who am I?”

Raymond’s eyes raised to hers. “I don’t know. I went to the post office. It’s where you mail letters.”

Tears poured from her eyes. “I’m your wife, Raymond. Now, let’s get some dinner. Tomorrow will be better if we’re lucky.”


300 Words
Flash Story limited to 300 words, Must contain: "Thirteen, Curse, Lucky"

© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699011-The-Accidental-Life