*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699560-A-New-War-Chapter-One
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Death · #1699560
Army men arrive in Russia attempting to retrieve Intel in the middle of Russia near Chita.
    "Arriving in Russia always keeps me on my toes. Since the war began this place has been a red hot with nuclear radioactivity. I heard many rumors from where the war actually started. One is that we planted a disease on to Russia soil for experimentation. They called the disease Stealth because you would have not one symptom until the day your heart gives out. Over one million people died due to the disease because each day twenty new Russians would get the disease.
  My name is Jake Consten, I am twenty-five years old. I was never planning to go into the military before the war actually happen. This is my last log before I go to Russia territory. Hopefully this isn't my last log overall. I was born in New York on February 18th, 1992. I graduated from Francis Lewis High School in the city of Queens. I got into Penn-state for a degree in engineering. One year in college is all I received before the three nukes. I lost my father and sister in the attack. This nuclear war must end soon, the war is going to end in disaster because of the beginning. The beginning of this war was unbelievable.
  They declared war on us after the three 18-megaton Nuclear bombs exploded on Washington DC, New York, and Chicago on July 20th, 2011 for using biological warfare which was never proven but they found evidence that the USA delivered the disease. The US is falling apart from this war. I joined the army a year ago. In my time in the military I have heard we have fired six nuclear bombs at Russia but there could be more.One was interrupted on the way to Moscow. Another was detonated at St. Petersburg. The last was fired and detonated at Irkutsk.There are probably many more but I know that Russia has fired nine nuclear bombs.
  The radioactivity arrived in Finland,Sweden, and even England. We quickly realized that we could only attack the middle of Russia due to other countries surrounding them. No other country wanted to help the US or Russia. Nobody wanted to be involved in a nuclear war even after the consequences of nukes already have reached them.
  We lost all our allies in this fight as did Russia, this was the not the worst part about this war. The worst part is the army has changed a great deal. They don't have as much command as they did. The only Intel you receive on a mission is where to go and where to get retrieved. Training could last a week at least for regular ground troops or a month for special advancement groups at most now a days. They also can only send a few men to do a job with the dwindling numbers of men. They will soon have to start a draft for men.
  Lieutenant Johnson, Sergeant Menson, Corporal Felon, and I will be retrieving Intel from the Russian Base, Mose in the middle of Russia near Chita. From what I heard there would never be a team of soldiers such as this but, we are very desperate and they need the best on this mission. I am only a private but, I held on a squad of men of at least fifty when we attacked Porm. My squad was gone and I was left with only a rifle and ammo.
  Back to the mission at hand, we will hit ground about twenty clicks from the location of the base due to the fact that Russia will be ready for a direct attack on the base. They need us for that exact reason. We have been training for this Stealth mission for a three weeks. Hopefully this Intel we are retrieving will help the US a great deal. My Lieutenant says that this could end the war. The war needs to end soon or this world will forever be scarred only because of the first days of the nukes, we declared that day as D-Day. The year is July 15th, 2017.End of Log."
  "Distance till destination." Lieutenant Johnson asked.
  "Two clicks till drop point Lieutenant." The pilot replied.
  That was the only words said in two hours. We were all nervous, no one ever likes coming to Russia for a mission. There is too many soldiers patrolling, always. Corporal Felon was the only one who actually looked anxious to cross enemy lines. He was one of the few things I hated about this mission. Another is the few supplies we had, we will have to camp for a night which all we have is sleeping bags. We will have to find our own food and start our own fire. This was not a real problem. The real problem was we all looked like normal soldiers, buzzed heads, fit, and ready for action but, on the inside I felt like this was it.
  My squad did have unique features to them. Lieutenant Johnson was the old timer of the group. He had that rugged look that most people cannot not pull off which he could not. He was in the military for twelve years since today. He did not want to further his career in the military due to lack of time on the field. Menson and Felon have both been friends since high school, talking about joining the military. They both entered the military in 2010, the year before D-Day. Both of them looked alike as if they were brothers, only because of there lack of hair. The only real difference is that Menson has a 5-o clock shadow, always. I was the runt of the group sadly. Them two were buff as the hulk while standing by them I looked scrawny. Lieutenant isn't the strongest out of us but he is certainly the most experienced and intelligent. The pilot's voice interrupted my thought.
  " Alright, we are here." The pilot announced while powering down the helicopter.
  I followed Sergeant Meson off the helicopter lead by Lieutenant Johnson. We arrived in a jungle, all was quiet besides the helicopter powering down. Once it was quiet there was not a sound in the air. there were no animals, there was nothing among the miles of trees. The grass had no life in it at all. Many trees were near death. Among the dead trees there were ones that were full of life. There was no wind either. I could only fear the soldiers in the jungle among us. The radioactivity would kill people in the past but the army has made a drug which counteracts the effects, even with Spn1 I could still feel the power of the radioactivity. The Lieutenant finished up talking with the pilot of the helicopter.
  " We will be here back in two days with the Intel at 0800, if we have not arrived we have failed." Lieutenant Johnson finished.
  That was another fallback of the military, we could not send retrieval missions for a squad who has failed. Resources were running low for the US due to all the panic of the US. It's a wasteland now with only a few cities who have government and are functional. Due to that fact It's either we finish the job and get to go home or you fail and are left to the Russians. If we are not here by 0800 we will have to survive over here or find a way back home.
  "Alright, we will arrive here at that time." The Pilot said while climbing back into the helicopter.
  The pilots started up the helicopter, the other men started to walk into the vicious jungle among us but, I could only stand still while the helicopter flew away.
  "Fuckface, get your ass over her!." Sergeant Menson yelled.
  Really did hate the nice nicknames the team have given me.
  I turned away from the stars in the sky and started to walk into the jungle. My squad was already half a click towards our camp sight. The plan was to set up camp and retrieve food, water, and fire. If we didn't have Spn1 we would not be able to drink water or even eat any of the animals inhabiting. My squad planned for this by letting me have the honors of hunting for food such as a wolf or a deer. Overall this hike will be very difficult. We will have to travel through this jungle and over some mountains and we will hit our target.
  "Keep up, guys." Sergeant Meson yelled.
  "Shut up, we are right behind you." Corporal Felon screamed back.
  Menson and Felon will be the most annoying part of this mission definitely, only because they will be arguing through every part of this mission. I noticed that we have not run into any patrol or even any animals yet. That could either be bad or good, good there is no patrol around these parts tonight at least or bad they could have a blockade up ahead either way we will be ready with our sleeping bags on our back, rifles and pistols wielded, and our knives in our pocket. We will be ready.

To be Continued...

Chapter Two is finished.
© Copyright 2010 Subjectdc (subjectdc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1699560-A-New-War-Chapter-One