*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701281-the-rise-of-Bramblestar
Rated: E · Novella · Action/Adventure · #1701281
as fireheart dies its time for Brambleclaws reign , first in series, filled with emotion !
Brambleclaw watched anguished as his leader, Firestar died slowly and painfully.

The recent battle with bloodclan had left Firestar literally breathless!

His injury’s had got so bad that none of spottedhearts herbs or remedies could save him.

“Brambleclaw come closer” gasped Firestar

“You have been a great deputy and now you will be a great leader”

“Firestar don’t die, I need you!” whimpered Brambleclaw.

With his last breath Firestar said in a high voice “as a cloud covers the sun an enemy like no other shall attack”

Mousekit, Firestars daughter and his loyal

Mate Blueflower burst in just as Firestar came still.

“Daddy” cried Mousekit, her pink nose nestled into his fur breathing in his soft scent one last time!

“There there calm down” Brambleclaw said softly to the young kit, he had always been fond of the sweet bundle of fur and her mother, but as he gazed deeply into her sorrowful crystal  blue eyes he knew her heart belonged to Firestar.

















Three moons had past since Bramblestar had become leader.

Now he was addressing the other clans at his 3rd leadership gathering.

“All is well in thunderclan; we have three new kits, Silverkit, Twighlightkit and Tailkit” he spoke of the kits proudly but there was a slight edge to his voice.

The kits farther was Mudpelt. The most diabolical cat around the lake, he was pure evil!



Bramblestar led his clan to the camp, but instead of following the others inside

He sat at the top of the ravine, staring up at silverpelt. The biggest brightest star caught his eye. Straight away he knew it was Firestars spirit.

“I miss him too” said Blueflower surprising Bramblestar.

“And I always will, but I suppose I will have to move on. Concentrate on the future not the past” she continued with a sigh.

Silver drops of rain trickled gently on there pelts.

Blueflower shook her self dry then slid into camp.

















As dawn approached the clans first patrol was ready leave. The patrol included Whitestorm, Dustpelt, Sunpaw and Bramblestar himself. The patrol left hastily ready for a burst of fresh air after the hanging scent of mouse bile from the medicine cat den.

The first border they encountered was the Windclan one. “Look over there!” called Sunpaw, in the distance stood a large shadow looming over the moorland hills.

“I wonder what it could be?” said Bramblestar as a puzzled look swept over his face.

“Oh well its Windclans problem, let’s just hope it doesn’t cross the border” commented Dustpelt curiously.

“Let’s get back to camp”















“Bramblestar”called Blueflower nosing her way into his den “I bought you some freshkill, I’m helping Sunpaw out since he is the only apprentice, I think its time Mousekit was made into an apprentice” she added.

Bramblestars only reply was a grunt.

“I’ll take that as a yes then” said Blueflower.

Bramblestar sat up straight and mumbled “I agree we will have her ceremony at sunhigh, can you go tell Sandstorm about mentoring Mousekit”

“Of course” came a muffled reply.

Blueflower was checking him over making sure he was well.

“You need to go to Spottedheart I think you have a temperature!” she said shocked.

“Huh” Bramblestar said groggily.

Blueflower ushered him to Spottedheart before disappearing into the nursery to see her sister’s new kits. bramblestar slipped into the medicen cats den , to be told, to rest as the stress of being a leader was wearing him out.         









climbing onto high rock after resting and recovering bramblestar beckond to mousekit,

“Until you get your full warrior name you will now be known as Mousepaw, tonight you will journey to the moonpool with me Blueflower and Spottedheart” yowled Bramblestar “your mentor will be Sandstorm!”

Mousepaw gave a squeak-of-delight before padding over to Sandstorm to touch noses with her. She is so cute thought Bramblestar. I hope Starclan accepts her unlike Mothwing of Riverclan or Daisy and Cloudtail.













Mousepaw sniffed warily at the travelling herbs laid in front of her. Yuck she thought finding a disgusting smelling leaf, “I better eat them or else Spottedheart will bite my tail of”

Mousepaw carefully thought aloud.

“YUCK” she complained “these are DISGUSTING!” she added rubbing her tongue

after swallowing the bitter herbs.

“Come on its time to leave for the moonpool, wow your first time out of camp!” said Blueflower nudging Mousepaw out of the clearing and into the forest.

Bramblestar and Spottedheart were waiting for them, and so was some one else.

“Jayswing will be accompanying us because of the trouble with Windclan” explained Bramblestar.

“We just want to make sure you stay safe on your first time out” he nodded to Mousepaw.

Mousepaw nodded back shyly to the great leader but felt a pang of envy as that used to be her fathers amazing position. She wasn’t sure she would enjoy his rein over Thunderclan. She knew she wouldn’t…













Wow it’s so beautiful thought Mousepaw staring down at the silvery blue surface of the moonpool, “what do I do?” asked Mousepaw

Confused.

“Just dip your nose into the water and sleep that’s how you know if Starclan accept you” explained Spottedheart kindly.

“Thanks” mumbled Mousepaw. She hated getting her nose wet!





“Greetings Mousepaw, we have been waiting for you” came the voice of the Starclan warriors.

At once Mousepaw opened her sleepy eyes and sat up strait.

There in front of her stood the one and only… Firestar!

“DADDY!” cried the excited apprentice “is it really you!”

“Calm down we are here to tell you that…!”

“Firestar it is you!”

“… You have been accepted by starclan”

“DADDY DADDY DADDY!”

“Calm down its time for us to leave now”

“Huh?”

“Goodbye Mousepaw” replied Firestar regretfully “goodbye”.



His voice rang in Mousepaws ears as she padded through the forest.

“Guess what mama I saw…” her voice trailed away as Blueflower opened her mouth to speak,

“Hush little one, you must never speak of what you saw in your dream, as long as you were accepted that’s fine” said Blueflower gently.

“Come on you need your rest”.











Meanwhile back in the hollow,

Whitestorm, Bramblestars deputy was organising a herb patrol.

Sandstorm and Mudpelt were about to leave with Featherwhisker, the medicine cat apprentice, was close behind. Just as they approached the thorn tunnel a loud yowl echoed through there eardrums “MY KITS, WERE ARE MY KITS!”

Shrieked Dawnsky.

“Silverkit is the only in here!”

“Dawnsky were did you last see Tailkit and Twighlightkit” confronted Mudpelt racing over to were his distressed mate wailed.

“By the thorn barrier, I told them to come back but when I looked round they had disappeared!” confessed the distressed Queen.

“Me sandstorm Hollyleaf and Dustpelt will go look for them” decided Mudpelt straight away.

“I’ll come to” said Featherwhisker

“I need to look for tansy and chervil root anyway”

“Ok let’s go!” ordered Mudpelt.

“Bossy furball!” muttered Featherwhisker.





“Can you smell that?” asked Jayswing back in the forest.

“Smells sort of milky, like the nursery, maybe its Dawnsky?” replied Blueflower.

“Dawnsky wouldn’t be so mouse brained,

She still has to suckle Tailkit, Silverkit and Twighlightkit”

Said Jayswing.

“You don’t think they got lost do you?”

Said Blueflower her eyes clouding with worry.

“I hope not, let’s go investigate!”





   









A tiny pink nose snuffled its way through the thick Greenleaf undergrowth.

“How much further to the lake” squeakily complained Twighlightkit.

Tailkit and Twighlightkit had snuck out of camp to bask in the suns warm beams but the only problem was that the kits wanted to have the best sun bathing place… and that was the lake.

“Not far, cant you smell the salty water” replied Tailkit.

“NO! Just the moorland and trees, are you sure were not lost!” said Twighlightkit grumpily!

“Of course were not lost mousebrain!” retorted Tailkit.

“Stop moaning at me!” argued Twighlightkit.

“Now let’s get going!”





“What in the name of Starclan are you doing out here!” demanded Jayswing as they confronted the naughty furballs.

“Just sunbathing” replied Tailkit calmly.

Twighlightkit stared at her brother, anxiety flooded over her body. How could he be so relaxed when they were in so much trouble!

“Get back to camp now!” demanded Jayswing once again.

“Okay, whatever foxdung” said Tailkit carelessly.

“You should pay more respect for the people who bring you food; you are confided to the nursery for half a moon, you have probably driven Dawnsky crazy looking for you!”

Said Blueflower angrily.

“JUST GO!”

Anger flooded through Jayswing as he watched the cheeky kit try another sharp comment.

Guilt covered Blueflower as she looked into the kits tiny pleading eyes. She then shook her self realising they deserved it and stalked of waving her tail in the air.











Bramblestar gazed at Blueflower feeling the anger that surged through her glowing pelt.

“Kits will be kits” he sighed to her,

“It’s not as if you were the most perfect kit ever” he added.

Blueflower turned to him and gave a frustrated growl.

“You think your so funny don’t you, well your not!”

“Blueflower are you okay?” questioned Bramblestar.

“What do you think, here’s what I think, you are a crummy leader who can’t take care of his clan!” she replied angrily.

And with that she padded off with a snarl.

“I didn’t mean to upset you” called Bramblestar after her.

“Blueflower, I love you!” he mumbled too softly for her to hear.

“Blueflower come back!”

Fear overrun his thick furred body as he raced through the forest, suddenly he realised she was heading towards the basking rocks were the poisonous adder lived.

“Blueflower” he yowled as a burst of energy hit him, he had to save her!













Blueflower cowered against a large boulder full of fear as the troublesome adder bared its white sharp teeth at her.

“Help!” she cried as the snake prepared to strike.

“BLUEFLOWER!” yelled a sudden replier.

Bramblestar entered the clearing stamping his large paw on the unsuspecting predator killing it with a swift blow.

“Bramblestar you saved my life” gasped Blueflower still in state of shock,

“I’m so sorry for the horrible things I said to you, I was just angry, not with you but my self!” rushed Blueflower.

“Hush, you need your energy, lets take you to Spottedheart”

Blueflower nodded her reply before leaning against Bramblestar and limping towards the camp.













“Are you sure the snake didn’t get you!!” fretted the distressed medicine cat.

“Quite sure, Bramblestar saved me before it could get any were near me” replied Blueflower before gazing up at the bashful warrior.

Bramblestar was lost for words as emotion and love filled his heart, he was sure he could sense gratitude and feeling coming of the beautiful she-cat too.

“I bought you a mouse” said Bramblestar regaining his voice, “I hope you like it, I caught it by the ancient oak, prey is running really well there, maybe when your better we could hunt there sometime” said Bramblestar shyly.

“I would like that” replied Blueflower, but for now I feel like I could sleep for 50 moons”

joked the she-cat.

“Goodnight!”















“Great catch” called Mousepaw’s mentor Sandstorm as the boisterous apprentice pounced on a fairly plump squirrel.

The reason for the great catch was anger and frustration. Her own mother Blueflower had

Been ignoring her for that mangy flea pelt Bramblestar!

As her and her mentor dashed back to the hollow a wary snarling came from behind…

It was a FOX!

Luckily it was still a cub but it was still extremely vicious.

“Mousepaw go get Whitestorm and his patrol, I’ll hold of this cub till you get back, the patrol is by Shadowclan border. HURRY BACK…

Sandstorms voice faded away with the wails of the fox cub as Mousepaw runned faster and faster till she neared the dead tree where she could here the patrol.

“FOX, HELP” she yowled filling her lungs with air. All her anger had disappeared when she had seen her mentor in her perilous battle with the mighty cub. 

The patrol had followed Mousepaw straight away knowing the dangers that foxes could cause,

They arrived back at the clearing to find that the cubs experienced parents had appeared.

“HELP!” yowled the beaten body that was Sandstorm.

Whitestorm rushed to his mate’s side, prepared to protect her at the cost of his life.

‘I wish my mama still protected me like that’

Thought Mousepaw, ‘she does though’

The words swirled round the apprentices mind as she clawed and batted at the foxes. Suddenly she felt like a warrior!













Mousepaw watched anxiously as her mother stumbled with weight towards the nursery, Blueflower had been sent to the nursery by Spottedheart after she had been told that she was due to have Bramblestars kits in 5 moons.

This of course made Mousepaw extremely angry as she was her mothers only daughter the one she would cherish for ever… until now and it was all that fleabag Bramblestars fault!

“How could you” she questioned turning on Blueflower.

“Your Firestars love – Remember!”

“Mousepaw I can’t help how I feel about Bramblestar, loves love, one day you will understand sweetheart”

“No I Wont!” hissed Mousepaw.

“Leave me alone!”



















“Your doing so well” commented Spottedheart as she approached the distressed Queen.

“I don’t feel like I’m doing well” replied Blueflower groggily.

“It doesn’t help that Mousepaw hates me” she added with a sob.

“I’m sure she’s just not used to the idea of you and Bramblestar, she is only an apprentice though” comforted Spottedheart.

“I guess you right, thanks for checking me over, I’m going back to the nursery” replied Blueflower before stumbling back to her cosy nest once more.



“Let all cats old enough to catch there own prey gather beneath high rock for a clan meeting” yowled Bramblestar proudly.

Blueflower poked her head out of the nursery to see her first kit sitting smugly near the base of the rock.

“Mousepaw” called Bramblestar.

“Do you promise to up hold the warrior code and protect your clan even at the cost of your life?”

“I do” said Mousepaw excitedly.

“Then step forward to receive you warrior name” continued Bramblestar,

“You shall now be known as Mouseshine!”

Mouseshine touched noses with Bramblestar as the first cheer of her name banged in her eardrums.

“Mouseshine Mouseshine!” it was Blueflower calling proudly.

Mouseshines gaze flickered to Blueflower who was cheering the loudest.

She ran down from high rock towards her mother and touched noses with her.

“Im sooo proud of you!” purred Blueflower

“I no” mumbled Mouseshine back to her.

“Im sorry I was mean to you” added Mouseshine

“Im sure there going to be great half brothers and sisters to me!”

“Of course they will… but they will never be as great as you Mouseshine”







“Hey look the shadows moved!?” Commented the newest warrior Suntail.

“Weird!” added Mouseshine as they approached the stream that separated Thunderclan and Windclan.

“It’s slowing heading towards the Windclan camp!” said Mouseshine.

“We better go tell Bramblestar” chorused the friends before giggling and racing each other back to camp.

Bramblestar picked up the scent of the to new warriors as they hurtled towards him,

“The shadows moved” reported Mouseshine!

“Towards us!” added Suntail.

“We will investigate more if it crosses the border” he said as the two discoverers bounced up and down.

“I promise”









Five moons had passed since the moving of the shadows and Blueflower had just had 3 kits, 2 toms and a fluffy tabby she-cat.

The first tom that was a dark brown was called Mackkit; the 2nd was white with faint dark white tortoishell marks, he was called Mistykit and the third an unusual gray tabby she-cat, they called her Magickit!



“There gorgeous” breathed Bramblestar looking down on the tiny squirming kits.

He nudged them towards there mother so they could suckle peacefully.

Meanwhile Mouseshine was heading towards the border stream to collect the freshest water for Blueflower.

As she approached the clearing an eerie wail yowled on Windclan territory.

She expertly leaped across the rushing water and followed the sounds of echoing growls and yowls.











A group of foxes and strange cats were working together to fight of a Windclan patrol!

“What’s going on” demanded Onestar bursting into the clearing making the strangers retreat hastily.

“We found these lot on our side of the border heading towards Thunderclan terriortry” explained Ashfoot angrily.

“The shadow” breathed Mouseshine glad not to be notice.

Suddenly one of the foxes whipped round to face her.

“We have come from over the hills to save Thunderclan from the shadow, we mean no harm!” he said in an odd deep voice which was rather like Brooks but stranger.

“Mouseshine what are you doing here?” snarled the aggressive Windclan leader.

“I have obviously come to collect the apparent Thunderclan saviours” said Mouseshine confidently even though she was shaking from muzzle to tail tip.

“Follow me to camp” added to the group mixed with foxes and cats before once again leaping across the rapid raging river!















After leading the strangers into the camp, Mouseshine veered of to Bramblstars den to report the news of the new arrivals.

Hostility flared through out the camp as more and more cats peered out of there dens to glance at the group of proud standing new-comers.

After greeting them Mouseshine found out that the four clan-less cats were called;

Ellie, Peach, Tara and Hector,

Whereas the foxes were called:

Jinx, Bobby, Sasha and Crow.



“We are here to save you from the shadow” announced Jinx.

Gasps of horror whispered there way throughout the clan at the mention of the dreaded shadow,

“We don’t need help” retorted Mudpelt.

“You do need help, the shadow attacked us and destroyed our home!” urged Peach.

“You are welcome to join our clan, the foxes to but off course it’s your choice!” butted in Bramblestar.

“The cats shall stay but we foxes wont, after the battle is won our job will be done!” explained Sasha in her unusual voice.

“We must give warrior names now then” replied Bramblestar.

“Ellie, Peach, Tara, Hector, you shall now be known as” started the leader as wide eyes met is gaze.

“Ellietail, Peachpip, Tarafur and Heccytail” recited Brambleclaw.

“Welcome to…”

“Wait, me and Heccytail should really be apprentices, we used to be kittypets!” exclaimed Tarafur.

“Thank you Tarafur, your mentor shall be…

Hmmm, all our senior warriors have apprentices…Mouseshine you shall mentor Tarafur and Suntail you shall mentor Heccytail!” decided Bramblestar.

Mouseshine and Suntail stood awkwardly next to each other as eyes burned into the fluffed out pelts.

Suntail nudged her towards the inexperienced cat before facing his.

“How about we take our apprentices to explore the territory and explain the borders to them?” suggested Suntail as Mouseshine stood rooted to the spot wondering what to do.

“Good idea lets go” replied Mouseshine before leaping through the thorn tunnel and scrambling up the ravine.





Mouseshine found her-self gazing at Suntail as he expertly showed his apprentice how to catch mice.

His ginger sleek fur shone like the sun as he leaped and twisted as he caught yet another plump piece of prey.

Mouseshine looked sadly at the scrap of freshkill she had collected.

Even Tarafur had managed to catch more prey then her!

‘What’s wrong with me’ she thought grumpily stalking back to camp.

As they entered the clearing Mouseshine sent her apprentice to feed the elders and sat down with a scrawny vole in the nettle patch.

Suddenly Suntail raced up to her and asked bashfully “would you like to share this squirrel with me, I can’t eat it all you see and oh this is getting me no were…Mouseshine I really like you lots and lots!”

“I like you too” replied Mouseshine shyly,

“I always have”

Suntail sat beside her in the nettle patch as they shared the freshkill peacefully.



“Mouseshine, wakeup” called Suntail softly into her ear.

The startled she cat sat up strait away and stared into Suntails eyes,

“What” she grumbled

“I thought we could go out on a moonhigh hunt, we don’t have to if you don’t want to”

Came the reply.

“I’d love too lets go!”















“Owoooh”came the sound of a howl in the distant moors.

“What was that” gasped a frightened Mouseshine.

“I’m not sure, but whatever it is it will never lay a paw on you! If it has paws!” replied Suntail bravely although he was shaking all over.

“Oh Suntail we’ll be fine” murmured Mouseshine with an unsure tone to her voice.

She leaned against Suntails soft pelt as they padded through the forest.

Suddenly before there very eyes the thick undergrowth and large trees disappeared to reveal an unusual forest coated with silver sparkles and glints of gold stars.

Out of nowhere 3 cats with flame coloured fur swirled round them repeating the same haunting words.

“As a cloud…” started the first starry cat that appreared to be Firestar.

“…Covers the sky an enemy…” continued the other which resembled Flamesky, who was Mouseshines grandmother.

“…Like no other…” added the third, which was a cat that her mother had described but never stated her name.

“…Shall attack!” chorused the cats mistily before fading away with the forest of dreams.













Back in the nursery Blueflower was telling her kits about all of her silly times of being an apprentice.

“Tell us more mama” giggled Magickit as her mother finished telling the tale of when she got attacked by a piece of freshkill.

“Maybe later, your brothers are getting really sleepy, I think its time you all had a good rest, if I’m not here when you wake up I’ll be in the clearing daisy will look after you” decided the blue roan she cat.

“Ok Blueflower”

“Goodnight darlings!”



Blueflower had reached the freshkill pile just as the light of sunhigh was soaking through the trees.

Just as she sat down Mouseshine and Suntail burst into camp and headed towards Bramblestars den.

Blueflower padded after them to see what all the commotion was about and soon heard the recount of an ominous dream about starclan warriors and a prophecy.

“Firestars words!” gasped Blueflower.

“True danger could destroy the clan!”

The next sunrise was eerily quiet nothing like the clan Mouseshine known?

There were no patrols ready to leave, no cats sitting around the freshkill pile.

No one even seemed bothered about the meeting that had been announced; she noted 3 little kits sitting proudly and guessed that it was time for Tailkit, Twighlightkit and Silverkit to  become ‘paws’.



After the ceremony was over and Heatherstorm, Peachpip and Ellietail had an apprentice each the camp became silent once more.

A gurgle in her stomach echoed around the clearing though no one heard it.

Mouseshine sloped off to the preypile and gobbled up a thrush.

The gurgling pain didn’t ease at all!

So she decided to take a visit to Spottedheart.



“You’re pregnant, I’m 100% sure!” decided the medicine cat.

“You need to go to the nursery!”

The startled apparent Queen padded of to the nursery to join her mother.

“Hiya Mouseshine, have you got some freshkill for us” questioned Blueflower.

“No mama, I’m a Queen now” mumbled Mouseshine quietly. 

Blueflower stared at her looking confused.

“That’s great Mouseshine!” said Blueflower, her feelings changing dramatically.

“Sooo…” added the older Queen,

“Who’s the farther?”

“I think its Suntail”

“He’ll be a great farther!”

“I hope so because he’s just so… perfect! I love him so much!”

“I’m sure you do”

“I guess I should go tell him, I wonder how he’s going to take it!”













Mouseshine padded warily to were her mate stood talking to a group of senior warriors          .

“Suntail Can I talk to you… in private!” muttered Mouseshine.

“Of course” replied Suntail padding away from the group.

“I was wondering if you could train Tarafur as well as Heccytail”

“Ok, but why, your not hurt are you”

“No but… oh I’m not sure how to say this but… I’m having your kits!” rushed the distressed Queen.

Suntail stood there staring at her for a few heart beats before purring “that’s great Mouseshine!” and brushing against her.

Still in state of shock he escorted his mate back to the nursery and then went to rest.

















2 moons later lots of odd reports ventured into the clan.

Foxclover said that she had heard strange yowl,

While Shortwhisker claimed that he had saw deep gashes in the ancient oak.

Even Jingopaw had something to say and he had only just left the nursery with his sister!

But luckily there was still great news, the clan had new warriors!

Silvermist

Twighlightsky

And Tailfeather had recently been upgraded from ‘paws’!

The foxes still roamed the clan but nothing they did helped in anyway. And also very

Recently Tailfeather went hunting and still hasn’t returned!





Please starclan save the clan if no one else will!





Find out more in the next book Tailfeather’s

Secret! 





oh by the way i wrote this when i was 10 so dont judge me over spelling mistakes or use of rubbish words , im very proud of this so please only nice commets if u dont like say so nicely lol
© Copyright 2010 musicismylyfe (musicismylyfe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1701281-the-rise-of-Bramblestar