*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702459-Something-missing
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1702459
Something unknown was missing from a woman's life.
         "Gertrude, stop that barking!" she yelled.

         Gertrude, Janet’s red haired 3 year old dachshund, was going crazy, running in circles and yipping at the top of her little lungs.

         "Why must we go through this every day? You know it's just the mailman. He always runs late on Fridays but you should still be used to him after going through this routine for two years." Janet said.

         Like magic, when she heard the word 'mailman', Gertrude stopped barking and ran to the door, barely able to contain her anticipation. You would think there were dog treats being delivered.

         Janet grabbed the mail off the floor and returned to the kitchen table. As she perused the mail, she came across the electric bill, an advertisement for the local food store, a "Pre-Approved" credit card application and an unmarked letter.

         No return address. That's odd, she thought. It was addressed to her, Janet Russell, and it had her address so it must be for her.

         With her curiosity aroused, using her trusty sword letter opener, she carefully slit open the unmarked letter:

         My dearest Janet,

         Please meet me at the Jade Cafe at the end of your block, Saturday at 7pm.
         This is regarding your past.
         You will know where to sit because there will be a small pink rose on the table.

         Sincerely,
         A loving, long lost friend.


         "Hmmm, that's odd, Gertrude." Janet thought out loud looking at the dachshund.

         Gertrude sat at Janet’s feet, wagging her tail looking up at her with a look on her face that Janet would decipher as a smile.

         Who would want to meet with me? And about my past? I have been an orphan all my life, so what is there about my past that I don’t know? Janet thought.

         Orphaned at the age of four and having no relatives, she was made a ward-of-the-court and entered the foster care system. She was lucky and was assigned to a good foster family that took good care of her and taught her important values of life. Having such a caring foster family, brought her through her twentieth birthday with a good job and a nice rental home to live in.

         Her foster parents explained to her how her parents were tragically killed in an automobile accident. All she had to remember them by was one solitary picture that had her posed with them in a Sears’s portrait studio that was taken when she was two years old. She cherished this photograph with all of her love so she made copies of the old photo. She carries one in her purse, has one by her bedside and one hanging on the wall in the living room.

         As the meeting time slowly approached, Janet became more fidgety. She had no idea who would want to meet with her like this or if she wanted to go at all. All kinds of scary ideas entered her mind. It could be someone wanting to assault her. Janet had always been the athletic type, and kept herself in good shape. She was always being confronted by strange men that used any line they could to get her phone number.

         She thought that she should have someone else go along. On second thought, she had a better idea. She picked up the phone and dialed Gregg. Gregg Horton was her best friend who she met a few years ago at self defense classes. She knew that she could count on his help.

         “Hello” Gregg answered.

         “Hi Gregg,” Janet replied. “I was wondering if you’re busy tonight. I need your help with something.”

         She filled Gregg in on the letter and asked him if he could be at the café at 6:30. He agreed and they clicked off.

         At six forty-five, Janet slipped on her jacket and headed for the door. “Wish me luck, Gertrude” she said to her short legged friend. Gertrude gave a short bark in reply.

         Entering the café, Janet looked around to see if she could see Gregg. Upon seeing him sitting at a corner table, she gave him a nonchalant nod and he returned the nod, unnoticeable to anyone watching.

         Janet searched the café for the table with a pink rose. She found it near the far wall. There was no one else at the table, but one of the place settings had a name card with her name. She sat and looked to be sure that she was within sight of Gregg. She smiled when she spotted him watching her.

         Slowly a gentleman approached. He was a handsome man who she estimated to be a few years older than herself.

         “Excuse me miss. Are you Janet Russell?” he asked.

         “I am, and who are you?” she replied.

         “My name is Jim. Jim Russell.” he said.

         “Jim Russell?” Janet said. “Are we related?”

         “Yes we are. I am your brother. Do you mind if I sit down?”

         “I didn’t know I had a brother,” she said. “I have a photo of my parents but none of a brother.”

         “I was five when you were born. I was in school when they took that picture with you.” he said.

         He reached in his pocket and brought out a photo. His photo included their parents and both children. Written on the back in their mother’s handwriting was their names, ages and the date. Janet – age 3. James – age 8.

         “I wanted us to meet in a public place so that you wouldn’t be frightened.” Jim said. “It took me years to find you. And when I finally did find you, I didn’t want to scare you.”

         Always feeling that there was something missing from her life, Janet felt the warmth of a tear fall down her cheek now that she knew what it was. Seeing Janet breaking down, Gregg approached the table.

         “Is everything OK Janet?” Gregg asked.

         “Everything is fine, Gregg. Meet my brother Jim.” she said with tears now flowing down both cheeks.


© Copyright 2010 Robert Kaine (kaine106 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702459-Something-missing