*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702531-Prince
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Non-fiction · Biographical · #1702531
In response to a task I was set in conjunction with the BBC's a history in 100 items,
PRINCE





It started one rain sodden summers day amongst the silent graves off the local cemetery. The beginnings of what was then an illicit relationship, you as the alluring, pungent corrupter, my self as the willing participant. Your bitter-sweet taste between soft fleshy lips, was then, dizzyingly enhanced by the knowledge that, later all traces of your odour would be vigorously erased behind the secure door of the family bathroom. 

As summer past into autumn our trysts were shielded by the falling leaves of the majestic Oak trees. The winter months offered an impenetrable blanket of cold secrecy, whilst springtime in all of its budding splendour brought friends into an intimate yet carefree circle, where they too were wooed by your intoxicating power. Alas summer then lifted its glorious head from beyond the horizon, announcing the coming of age and the social acceptance of a flourishing, all absorbing dependent relationship.

From that summer forth, through the years of magical discovery into adulthood, you have been the constant companion at my side. Through times of social exuberance, through times of loneliness and stress, you, perfectly formed and packaged have I depended on. At times, in the still hours of the night, when you have been absent from my side, an uneasy panic would start to simmer, finally erupting into a full blown frustrated anger. I vowed then to be done with you, to turn my back and liberate my physical and mental self from you. But as a new dawn approached, I sought you, inhaled deeply from you, you my poisoned chalice. 

Over twenty five years have passed since our first encounter on that rain sodden afternoon, where the tombstones stood guardians to a childhood secret. Our relationship has become taboo once more, standing naked before public scrutiny. This time there will be no coming of age, only an increasing reactionary intolerance to a relationship that is doomed to a painful end. But firstly I shall take you between my outstretched fingertips for the very last time and walk beneath the Oaks of yesterday. There I will inhale your pungent, powerful aroma, dream of things past and the adventures we have been on. Then sadly as taking leave from and old lover, I will say goodbye, just maybe for the very last time.



© Copyright 2010 Molly Malone (raquelswilson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702531-Prince