*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702544-The-Last-Morning
by Naomi
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1702544
When love and friendship lives till its last breath, will it know that it's end has come?
I awoke to the sound of her walking down the steps, gently but surely. I smiled to myself; it was something I could never resist doing whenever I sensed her nearby. I opened my eyes and followed her with my gaze; her hair sticking out in all the wrong places, but she still looked beautiful. It was especially her eyes, a soft gaze that hid a strong fighting spirit; her most endearing asset. I could smell her shampoo, a fragrance that often stayed on her hair throughout the night. I knew it was about time I woke up.

She tip-toed into the kitchen: obviously trying not to wake me up. Opening the overhead cabinet, she pulled out a box of her favourite cereal: Banana Nut Crunch, and poured it into a bowl with milk; her usual breakfast. I got up and made my way into the kitchen. She sensed my presence.

“Hey Baby. Did I wake you up?” she smiled.

I stayed silent.

She turned around, wrapped her arms around my neck and gave me a kiss on the forehead. I just absolutely loved it whenever she did that.

“Breakfast?” she added.

I nodded and settled by the table. She walked over to the cabinet and knowing I hated cereal, took out my favourite. Setting it in front of me, she continued with her meal. I muttered under my breath a word of thanks and gobbled down my food.

Just like every other day, I was done before her. I gazed at her and thought back to when we first met. That was 5 years ago. I was younger back then. The only thing I remembered about that day was that when our eyes first met, I was captivated, and apparently so was she. The rest as they say: was history. That was the very day I swore to protect her and to be her closest friend. That was also the day when for the first time, I was happy.

She finally finished the last bits of her cereal, and as most mornings went, she picked up her bowl and mine and dumped it into the sink. I knew it was time for our daily walk. I loved walking with her, because it meant that those 45 minutes would be spent only with her, and no one else.

“C’mon Baby.” She chimed.

I stood up and waited at the door, a huge grin on my face.

She opened the door and gave me another hug, one that seemed longer than usual, and kissed my forehead.

“Let’s go Baby…” she whispered softly.

This time, I could have sworn that I saw a tear meandering down her cheek. I wanted to say something, ask her what was wrong, but I couldn’t find the words to say. I tried to catch her gaze, but she grabbed my leash, secured it to my harness; rubbed my head and with my tail wag-less, we walked down the road, in the opposite direction, different from the usual path; the one where she left me behind.
© Copyright 2010 Naomi (naomisoxy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1702544-The-Last-Morning