*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703307-The-Australian-Wine-Industry
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1703307
About the Australian Wine Industry







Abstract:
The Australian Wine Industry has a colourful history and is bound to have an eventful future. The Industry caters for many markets both domestically and not. There are many different wines that are made through the Australian Wine Industry, though there are many issues that affect this industry as well. There are many new technologies that are coming out and all companies associated with the Australian Wine Industry are working hard to create machinery to make things easier. The effect of the Australian climate on the Wine Industry of Australia is huge, Australian wines wouldn’t be the same if the climate changed.










Introduction:
The Australian Wine industry began when grape vines where bought to Australia with the first European settlers in 1788 and initially they were only produced on the Eastern coast of Australia. Many of Europe’s established vineyards were destroyed by disease in the 1800s and only the vines that were shipped to Australia survived(10). The Wine industry of Australia at that point was only domestic, in fact only the rich governors and officers were allowed to grow them in their yard, but this changed when John Macarthur established the first commercial vineyard of Australia in the early 1800s, south of Sydney. In 1822, Gregory Blaxland shipped 136 litres of wine to London, this was the first time that the Australian Wine Industry had gone into the export market, and it was awarded the silver medal by the forerunner of the Royal Society of Arts. In 1827, a larger shipment of wine was sent to London and got awarded the Gold Ceres medal. The rate of export was then gradually increased until by the beginning of the 20th century Australia was exporting 4.5 million litres of mainly full-bodied red wines to the United Kingdom(10). As well as this, during the early 20th century the World Wars were happening, after World War 2, in the 1960s, Australia saw a huge increase of migrants from Europe, these migrants brought with them a strong wine related culture, there was no surprise then that the domestic market demand grew causing one of the first, but definitely not the last, big Australian Wine Industry booms. However, all of the booms that The Australian Wine Industry has seen thus far has been followed by a plateau, this happened in the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s, this was when the export for the wine industry was less than US$15 million per year, in fact in 1985 the prospects for the wine industry were sufficiently dire to induce the government to fund a vine-pull compensation scheme to encourage grape growers and vineyard owners to move to an alternative crop. In 1996, the industries export market demand started to grow and this growth lasted until 2007, this growth was due to a rapid increase in appreciation for Australian wines overseas(10). Now in 2009 – 2010 Australian wine exports are valued at US$2.5 to 3 billion which means that the export for the Australian Wine Industry rivals that of The Australian Dairy Industry, and we can look back into the past and see that the exports for wine have boomed several times as have the domestic market but each time they have had a plateau, as well as this, we can say that the current boom has several positive features that contrast with those of earlier booms, for example, the export market and the domestic market are selling wine at a constant rate and it hasn’t lapsed except a few times for 1 year when the vineyards had less crop produced because of disease, in most other cases in the Wine Industry booms the demand peaks at an all time high and then plummets to the ground(18). In fact, the last crush, in 2008-2009 was a total of 1.7 million tonnes which was down by 5.4% from the previous year, this produced 1.2 billion litres of wine, which is down by 5.9% from the previous year (Red/rose wine production was down by 6.8% at 630 million litres and white wine was down by 4.5% at 543 million litres)(10)(5). The main wine making states include Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia, wine is produced in every state and territory in Australia though(10). In fact South Australia accounted for 43% of the national wine grape crush in the year 2009(5).

Products of the Business
The Australian Wine Industry produces many different types of wines from full bodied red, fruity whites all the way through to sparkling, dessert and fortified styles. The red wines are made from well ripened red grapes of many varying varieties, the full-bodied red wine is usually made from grapes that are grown in warmer climates where as the more delicate and lighter rid wines are produced in the colder climates of Australia, there are many red wines that are produced in Australia, such as; Barbera-warm temperatures, Cabernet Franc-warm temperatures, Cabernet Sauvignon-medium to cool temperatures, Grenache-warm temperatures, Merlot-warm temperatures, Mourvedre-medium to cool temperatures, Pink or rose wines-various, Pinot Noir-cool temperatures, Sangiovese-medium to cool temperature, Shiraz-varies, Tempranillo-warm temperatures and Zinfandel-warm temperatures. There are also many White wine varieties, with white wine the best way to know the taste or flavour of the wine without taking a sip is to take a smell of it then swill the wine around the glass and take another smell this can usually tell you what the wine is going to taste like, for example if it smells fruity then it is most likely going to taste very fruity and sweet. Australian white wines, such as; Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc, Colombard, Gewurztraminer, Marsanne, Muscat, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Semillon, Verdelho and Viognier, are grown all around Australia and all have different aromas and some are different shades of yellow, these wines are usually sweeter than that of red wines. Then there are the Sparkling wines these include both red and white varieties that come in all shapes, sizes and hues, the red sparkling wines are mainly made with the shiraz grape in the cooler climates, whereas the white sparkling wines are made with number of different types of grapes that are mainly grown in cooler climates, such as; Tasmania and the Yarra Valley(18). Fortified wines are usually made with grapes that are left on the vine a little bit longer than that which makes the normal red wines; they are sometimes called liquid sunshine because of this. Fortified wines can be both red and white although they are mainly red, there are many types of fortified wines, to name just a few; Muscat, Tawny and the white fortified wines. Another style of wine in Australia is the dessert wines these include; Muscat, Riesling, Semillon and Sweet white wines, these wines are usually grown in warm damp climates as this encourages the growth of botrytis cinerea, which is commonly called “noble rot”, this is good because the noble rot helps to increase the sugar levels of the fruit, the acidity of the fruit and to bring out the fruits flavour, the main area of Australia that grows this variety of wine is Riverina in New South Wales. All of these many various styles of wine are important to the Australian Wine Industry and not all of the varieties are named as there are so many different types there are definitely over 100 differing types of red Australian wine alone(18).

Markets that the business caters for
The Australian Wine Industry caters for many differing markets around the world and domestically. Australian Wine is exported to 80 different countries around the world every year, and in last year alone the amount of exported wine was up by 5.2% at 752 million litres of wine and the domestic sales was up slightly at 430 million litres(8). The Australian Wine Industry supports a large number of other markets and businesses; after all they are directly responsible for the employment of 28,000 people in both wine making and grape growing alone(10). They are also indirectly responsible for the employment of thousands of others, as The Australian Wine Industry helps to generate related employment in the retail, wholesale and hospitality industries. Another Industry that is directly influenced by the Australian Wine Industry is that of Tourism in Australia, a fairly large percentage of tourists are attracted to Australia via the wine industry, they come to Australia to take a look around the country and while they’re here they usually want to have a look at the vineyards and meet the people who make the Australian wine, most of the tourists end up going to south Australia because it is the main state for wine making as it alone is responsible for 43% of the national wine crush and another reason is because South Australia contains within it a third of all the wine-making locations of Australia, the others are more wide spread around Australia. The Industry also caters for jobs aboard ships that are exporting the wine to the different countries around the world and as they are the 3rd largest export market in Australia they do create a large amount of these jobs indirectly(11). The industry’s influence on the retail, wholesale and hospitality industries is rather obvious in that these industries profit from selling the wines to the population, so it’s not only the Australian industries that are being influenced by the Australian Wine Industry, but overseas industries as well, any shop that sells Australian wine is being indirectly influenced by the Australian Wine Industry. There are Companies that are completely reliant on the Australian Wine Industry creating good quality wine consistently, these include companies that only sell Australian wine or mainly Australian wines, the people who work at in these companies are indirectly being employed by the Australian Wine Industry. So by that logic, there are over 50,000 people worldwide who have been employed either directly or indirectly by the Australian Wine Industry. A great example of a job that is indirectly employed by the Australian Wine Industry is a cashier at Dan Murphy’s, they help to sell the Australian wine to the public all around Australia, actually any job that is related to Dan Murphy’s can be considered indirect employment of the Australian Wine Industry.

Growing, management and or environmental issues that affect this business
There are many problems that may affect the Australian Wine Industry, such as; Salinity, Weather, Water availability, Drought, Flooding, Nutrients availability, Pruning, Disease, Pests, Sterile machinery and the evenness of ripening. The presence of soluble salts in soils or water is termed Salinity. The Grape vine is a plant that is moderately sensitive to salinity in the soil and having a large amount of salinity in the soil in which you are growing the vines can cause them to slow their growth and in some cases it can cause the plant to die. This can affect the Australian Wine Industry in a huge way, if the land on which they have their vineyards becomes saline then the industry could be in serious trouble, because it’s not just a matter of moving the vineyard to a different location as it takes up to 3 years after planting that the vines actually start to bear fruit(12). It would be a major crisis if many of the South Australian vineyards were to become saline in particular, as South Australia is the main producer of Australian wines. If they could no longer produce good quality grapes and therefore wine, then the Australian Wine Industry markets both Domestic and Export would suffer to a huge extent, the crush weight would plummet, as would the values for the export and domestic markets for Australian wine. It is not impossible that this could happen, although it would happen over a long period of time, but in Australia Salinity is a constant threat, especially in the farming industry. Weather is another problem that the Wine Industry has to deal with, the weather is hugely important in the Wine Industry because if the weather is bad then the overall plant growth can plummet and from that the payouts can go down because they could lose produce to the elements. For instance, if a cyclone passed through, it could destroy the entire crop and produce along with it. As well as this, the weather contains; droughts, floods, rain and sunshine, a drought could easily kill off an entire crop of grapes unless the water that is available is used correctly, whereas a flood could just as easily kill the plants by submerging and drowning them. The weather that is wanted and needed for good vineyard growth is a mixture of sunshine and rain, having the extremes is a huge problem, the main problem is that it’s virtually impossible to prepare or stop the extremes from happening. If the Australian Wine Industry could find a way to minimize the loss in these extreme cases one of their problems would be close to solved, at the present time, however, they still have this large problem sitting in their laps, they are nearly completely at the mercy of the elements, for instance; if it rained just a little bit too much then it could destroy crops whereas if it doesn’t rain enough then that could be the death knoll of the crop as well. Water availability has a massive influence on the Wine Industry, at the present time vineyard owners have to make the best and most effect use of the water that is available, one way of doing this is to water one side of the roots of the grapevine, leaving the other side dry and then next time watering the alternate side, this means using half the amount of water each time but effectively using the water to make the plants grow better, this technique, known as partial root zone drying, is used by many vineyards throughout Australia because of water shortages, and it was shown through an experiment by Diane Stewart, that this technique actually enhanced the quality of growth and produce compared to watering both sides each time. Another technique used by vineyard owners is the regulated deficit irrigation technique, which is a technique that was originally developed for stone fruits and has been successfully put into practice by grape growers, this technique is when water deficit is applied during the post-set berry development to reduce the vegetative growth, however the water deficit is avoided at the stage of berry ripening as it can cause uneven ripening, which is a problem for wine making. Another problem is nutrients availability, in the wine industry, or really any plant based farming, it is highly important that the soil has the correct levels of nutrients that the plant needs to survive and produce to its full capacity. The grapevine needs many different minerals to be able to perform at its best; Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, Calcium, Sulphur, Copper, Zinc, Boron, Molybdenum and Magnesium. All these elements are needed, however if there is too much of any of these it can have a negative effect on the vine. Nitrogen is needed to ensure that the overall structure and metabolism of the vine is optimum; Phosphorus is needed to achieve cell membrane development and movement of essential structures; Potassium is needed to ensure the storage of metabolic by-products; Calcium is needed so that the cell membrane and cell wall structure can be determined and is also necessary for enzyme activity for vine growth and development, also calcium acts as a catalyst for the metabolism of the vine; Sulphur is needed to form amino acids and chlorophyll; Copper is needed to form chlorophyll synthesis and lignin;  Zinc is necessary in the flowering/fruit set process and is also necessary throughout for synthesises hormone;  Boron ensures movement of sugars and general metabolic activity; Molybdenum helps in the conversion of nitrates and is important in nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the soil; Magnesium is needed to rise Baume results in the fruit(17). Just as too much will cause damage so will too little; the correct amount must be found in the soil or added through fertilizer. A problem that depends completely on the owners and workers of the vineyards is pruning. It is important to prune back a grapevine but it’s also important not to take too much off, if too much is taken off it can cause the plant to become sickly and in some cases can cause the death of the plant which results in loss of produce. The trick is to take of enough that there is still enough cover that the grapes won’t get too much sunlight that they will dry up but also to make sure that they get a little bit of sunlight because otherwise the grapes can become sour, but the same can happen if the grapes get too much sunlight. Each plant has to have enough vegetative growth that they can still produce energy for themselves to survive, it is recommended by Diana Stewart to heavily prune during the first year and although it won’t pay off in that year, it will pay off in the following years. If the vine does not get pruned they can produce bad fruit that is unsuitable for wine making, this could be a problem for the Australian Wine Industry. Yet too much heavy pruning could be just as damaging, if not more damaging to the plant and through that the Industry. Two of the many problems that the Australian Wine Industry must face are those problems which all farmers must face, disease and Pests. The Australian Wine Industry has to deal with many Pests and quite a number of diseases, to name a few general pests; Mites, Insects, Nematodes and Birds. There are a huge amount of different types of each of the above listed pests, such as; Mites-Grape-leaf bud mite (Colomerus vitis), Grape-leaf blister mite (Colomerus vitis), Grape-leaf rust mite (Calepitrimerus vitis), Bunch mites (Brevipalpus californicus and Brevipalpus lewisi) and Two-spotted mite (Tretranychus utricae); Insects-Light-brown apple moth (Epiphyas postvittana), Grapevine moth (Phalaenoides glycinae), Grapevine hawk moth (Hippotion celerio), vine hawk moth (Theretra oldenlandiae), Long tailed mealy bug (Pseudococcus longispinus), Citrophilua mealy bug (Pseudococcus calceolariae), obscure mealy bug (Pseudococcus affinis), Grapevine scale (Parthenolecanium persicae), Grape phylloxera (Duktulosphaira vitifolii), Fig longicorns borer (Acalolepta vastator), Elephant weevil (Orthorhinus cylindrirostris), Vine weevil (Orthorhinus klugi), Common auger beetle (Xylopsocus gibbicollis) and Fruit Tree borer (Maroga melanostigma); Nematodes-root knot (Meloidogyne sp.), citrus (Tylenchulus semipenetrans), root lesion (Pratylenchus sp.), ring (Criconemella sp.), spiral (Helicotyllenchus sp.), pin (Paratylenchus sp.), dagger (Xiphinema sp.), stunt (Tylenchorhynchus sp.) and stubby root (Paratrichodorus sp.); Birds-most birds are basically classified as pests in the Wine Industry as they eat the fruits that the industry needs to survive(11). Some of the diseases found in the vineyard are as follows; Bacterial diseases, Botrytis bunch rot, Downy mildew, Eutypa and other trunk diseases, Powdery mildew, Sclerotina shoot rot and Vine health, just to name a few. There are many ways to deal with pests and diseases in the vineyard; pests for instance; mites-the best way that has been found to prevent the pest of mites from taking over the vineyard is to add to the vineyard predartory mites that will effectively eat the other mites, two such species are Euseius victoriensis and Typhlodromus doreenae, this technique is crossed over with chemicals, the chemicals that are used in this case would be friendly toward predatory mites but would kill off any other mites, the chemical that is used must of course be registered; Insects-the best way to deal with these pests is to use chemicals before you plant the vines but if the infestation occurs after this has been done then chemicals can be used to kill off all unwanted insects, this chemical should be registered; nematodes-the best way found to eliminate these pests from the vineyard is to plant mustard near the vineyard as they release a chemical that suppresses the nematodes, however if chemicals are required then the chemical must be registered; Birds-there are many ways of controlling birds, there are scaring devices, netting and there are also chemical repellents available(11). Diseases on the other hand are usually more difficult to eliminate, with some diseases chemicals can be used with others pruning must be done to save the plant, there are many various diseases which require chemicals to eliminate them completely, it’s best to treat the soil before planting to avoid any unnecessary diseases and pests. Another highly important thing in The Australian Wine Industry is having clean and sterile equipment and machinery when having any contact with the berries. If the machines that are used to crush the berries are not sterile then many people around the world would refuse to drink the wine that is created by those machines, therefore the Wine Industry has to make sure that the equipment used is all as clean, sterile and hygienic as is possible. Also all the berries must be washed and cleaned before they can enter the machines otherwise cleaning the machines would just be a waste of time. As well as this, the people who are operating the machines and working with the berries have to wear hair-nets, gloves and white coats so that they can handle the berries without causing them to become dirty and contaminated. And last of all, the evenness of ripening of the berries, this is very important, if the bunch of berries have uneven ripening it means that some of the berries are not yet ripe where others are either well ripened or over ripe, this can be a big problem in producing high quality wine and the bunch has to be discarded. This causes a loss in produce which affects the Wine Industry to a high extent if uneven ripening happens too often, the ideal crop would be even ripening on all bunches over the entire vineyard. This doesn’t always happen though, so many bunches are discarded and the losses is counted.

External market pressures that may influence the long term management of the business
External market pressure can affect the long term management of the Australian Wine Industry in many differing ways, External market is defined as “The market for securities that are issued outside the jurisdiction of any single country and are offered to investors in multiple countries simultaneously” (13). There are many things that are outside of any single country’s jurisdiction, for instance; customer demand, no country can control their population in what they enjoy to drink, it could change at any time and this does have a huge effect on the Australian Wine Industry, as they must always be ready to meet the demand of the population, whether its domestic demand or export demand the Australian Wine Industry must be ready to meet them or the profits will plummet to the ground. Another thing that will affect the long term management of the Wine Industry is the government, if any one government chose to stop the importing of Australian wine then the industry would have to adapt to the change quickly and without a fuss if they didn’t want the profits to show an obvious drop. Although there are quite a few external market pressures, the main one would definitely be the Australian dollar exchange rate, as this changes so will how the Australian Wine Industry looks at how they can look to the future to manage the business so that a profit can still come from the export market while not seeming to charge too much. At the current time the Australian dollar is 0.8991 US dollars and is rising(2). This could be having a negative or positive effect on Australia as they have to ask for more money to gain a profit but then they are getting more money for what they are selling, however some countries might refuse to pay the raised price and then The Australian Wine Industry is not getting the amount of profit they would otherwise receive. This would affect the long term management because the industry has to reassess how they manage the business every time the Australian Dollar changes exchange rate. The current strong Australian Dollar is undermining the Competitiveness of the Australian Wine Industry in the domestic and export markets world-wide. The Australian Wine Industry has been forced to reassess how to manage their business to get a greater profit then what they are currently receiving.

Effect of the Australian climate on management strategies
The Australian climate varies from place to place, however the majority of Australia is hot and dry, however the main area that the Australian Wine Industry uses to  make wine are cooler, such as South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales(10). The Australian climate has a huge effect on the taste and texture of the fruit and therefore will have a huge effect on the management strategies. The fact that Australia is almost always in drought at the current moment means that the industry has to plan ahead and come up with a strategy on how to save water and find a successful way of managing and using the water to the greatest effect and advantage. Two of these techniques have already been formed, they have been mentioned before in this paper in the section of “Growing, management and or environmental issues that affect the Australian Wine Industry” they are; the partial root zone drying and the regulated deficit irrigation techniques. Another way that the climate can affect the Wine Industry is via the wind, if there is too much strong wind then it can ruin the crop and cause a huge amount of loss in both produce and profit. So overall, the climate of Australia is what helps to make Australian wines unique, this is because if the Australian climate was any different then, the fruit wouldn’t be grown in the same way and therefore wouldn’t taste the same and most probably would look different to what the world-wide population has come to know as Australian Wine.

New and emerging technologies that can assist the development of the Australian Wine Industry
Although the success of the wines in the export market may be because of the hard work put in by the workers, it is also due to the new state of the art technologies that have been adapted into the Australian Wine Industry. One of the new technologies which are used in the industry today are the automation systems that are made by the company called CAMMS, they created the following technology for the wine industry; automation systems for: the control of crushers, rotary and static fermenters, presses, tank farms, inert gas, plant water supply, effluent and disposal and power monitoring and control. Another company that is involved with the Australian Wine Industry is Enviromist industries, which created a state-of-the-art weed controller that causes a minimum amount of loss and therefore is a cheaper option that doesn’t affect the surrounding environment to such a high degree. There are many other companies that are associated with the Australian Wine Industry creating state of the art technology to enhance and maximize the amount of profit that is able to be made, and helping to reduce crop and produce loss. Here is a list of the Companies that are associated with the Australian Wine Industry and a small description of what they do (this does not include the two stated above); GreenTech Australia-control of pests and diseases in vineyards; Gro-guard-protects crop from wind; Chris Grow Engineering-custom builds mowers to suit the needs of the vineyard; DM plastics and steel-grapevine trellising; Gray co engineering-wire locks; F. Miller and co.-Grape processing machinery; Pacifix-wire forming and wire hoods; Precision Labels-wine labels; Schahinger-wine barrels; Sentek-soil moisture technology; TSM-winery and financial management information; W.E ware and co.-hygienic flow equipment and accessories; and Wine titles-controls the majority of the internet web pages for the Australian Wine Industry. Each and every one of these companies are working on new technology that can further the success of the Australian Wine industry to make everything just that much easier to run. Soon the industry is hoping to eliminate the use of human labour in the wine making factories and have everything machine run and made. This of course is a long way away from happening but that’s what the industry is aiming for as an end goal, and all the companies associated with them are working at full capacity to make this goal happen(20).

Future outlook for the Australian Wine Industry
The Australian Wine Industry seems to have a bright and long future ahead of it, at least as long as it’s history. The industry is planning to increase the domestic market profits and the export market profits before the year 2012. A number of people around the world believe that the key to success is improved competitiveness, and quite obviously the Australian Wine Industry Agrees. Although the Wine Industry has many problems to deal with, it has been thriving and although the prices are going down for the export the industry is ready for change whenever it should happen, and change is happening, all over the world the taste that is preferred is changing, no doubt people will still want to drink all different kinds of wine, but the Australian Wine Industry has plans to make the tastes turn in their favour. As the US continues to be Australia’s top importer the main problem is that the strong Australian dollar is causing the prices to fall and thus the profits are falling(16), however, The Australian Wine Industry, along with its associate companies are creating a strategy to manage and market the wine to the full capacity to lift the prices once more. As well as this, The Industry has managed to increase by an amazing amount since the 1980s, why then would it be unexpected for an increase of a similar amount by 2040? It is expected that the industry will continue to have booms and subsequent plateaus for the next century or more. Not a lot is expected to change apart from a decrease in human labour and an increase in machinery; this will then improve the mistake and loss rate by a large percentage.


Conclusion
Although the Wine Industry of Australia has many problems to deal with, they are facing them head on and finding solutions for them; they have come up with various different ways to improve the industry and are currently working hard to improve it still further. The Industry is well known and liked throughout the world, exporting to more than 80 different countries(10); It caters for a large amount of markets including; domestic, export, hospitality, tourism, retail, shipping and wholesale. Although the Australian Dollar is strong and is dragging the wine prices down the industry is still fighting hard and eventually they are likely to prevail and come through the harder patches. The Australian Climate has a large impact on the taste and quality of the Australian wine, if the climate was different than the flavour and outlook on the Australian wine would be completely different. The Wine Industry has had a wonderful and eventful history and is fully expected to have and glorious and eventful future.
References
(1)          (T. Sheales; S. Apted; A. Dickson; R. Kendall; S. French; October 2006), Australian Wine Industry Challenges for the future, www.abareconomics.com, (29/08/10)
(2)          (Yahoo Finance, August 29 2010, 7:28am), Yahoo finance Currency converter, au.finance.yahoo.com, (29/08/10)
(3)          (M.G. McCarthy, 2000), Regulated deficit irrigation and partial rootzone drying as irrigation management techniques for grapevines, Books.google.come.au, (29/08/10)
(4)          (Diane Stewart; February, 2005 and Fiona Elizabeth Constable; March, 2002), The effect of soil and irrigation management on grapevine performance; The biology and epidemiology of Australian grapevine phytoplasms, Digital.library.adelaide.edu.au, (29/08/10)
(5)          (Australian Bureau of Statistics, January 28 2010), 1329.0 Australian Wine and Grape industry, 2009, www.abs.gov.au, (20/08/10)
(6)          (P.A. Magarey; A.M. MacGregor; M.F. Wachtel; M.C. Kelly; 2008), Field Guide for diseases, pests and disorders of grapes for Australian and New Zealand,  www.acresaustralia.com.au, (29/08/10)
(7)          (J. Campbell-Clause; D. Fisher; Department of Agriculture and Food; 2005), Irrigation techniques for winegrapes; Grape and vine pests and diseases: common garden and household pasts and diseases, www.agric.wa.gov.au, (29/08/10)
(8)          (Australian Trade Commission, August 16 2010), Wine overview-Industries, www.austrade.gov.au, (17/08/10)
(9)          (Cooperative Research Centre for viticulture; 6th October 2005), Good Environmental Management Guidelines: Vineyard pests and chemical management, www.crcv.com.au, (29/08/10)
(10)          (Department of Foreign Affairs Australia; April 2008), The Australian Wine Industry, www.dfat.gov.au, (29/08/10)
(11)          (Dr. Andrew Loch; February 2007), Grapevine pests and their management, www.dpi.nsw.gov.au, (29/08/10)
(12)          (P.A. Magarey; July 31st 2000), Field Guide to diseases, pests and disorders of grapes, www.gwrdc.com.au, (19/08/10)
(13)          (WebFinance; 2010), External market, www.investorwords.com, (29/08/10)
(14)          (Government of South Australia, 2009), Overview of Australian Wine,  www.sa.gov.au, (18/08/10)
(15)          (Sardi, 2007), Grapevine Disease and disorders, www.sardi.sa.gov.au, (29/08/10)
(16)          (B. Adams; June 2 2010), Australian Wine Industry restarts the party, www.smh.com.au, (29/08/10)
(17)          (A. Jacobs; November 2002), A balanced approach to vine nutrition, www.vitiwise.com.au, (28/08/10)
(18)          (Australian Wine and Brandy Corporation; 2009), Wine styles, www.wineaustralia.com, (29/08/10)
(19)          (Wine titles; 2010), Australian Wine Exports, www.winebiz.com.au, (29/08/10)
(20)          (Wine titles; March 13 2000), The Australian Wine Industry Technology Export Group, www.winetitles.come.au, (28/08/10)
© Copyright 2010 Miss Giggles (jumbledorn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703307-The-Australian-Wine-Industry