*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703366-Me-Gods-Tiny-Field-Mouse
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1703366
Held like a tiny mouse in God's palm.
ME: GOD’S FIELD MOUSE

On a recent Saturday, I noticed sticking to one of those ultra sticky cardboard pieces that exterminators use a small, gray, field mouse. You see sometime before I had a mouse and told my maintenance man about it. He put a few traps and these cardboard things around.

I found the mouse was still alive. And when it started squeaking my heart really bled for it. I think to use these sticky cards for mice are extremely barbaric. The animal is left to die of starvation and thirst. At least with a trap it should die quick and clean. As human beings with souls we should strive to be humane as possible in all our affairs regarding animals.

The mouse, when I lifted the card up closer I realized how small, so fragile it was. It would have taken no effort on my part to crush it with a finger. I too marveled at its finely intricate paws and hind feet. Truly, if you have no fear of mice, is a marvel of creation engineering.

Feeling real pity and concern for the field mouse, I left my apartment to take it to the park across from where I live to try and set it free. As I was going, my Guardian Angel gave me the inspiration to take it to the animal hospital that is just a few doors from where I live.

I am glad I did, for had I tried to remove the mouse, I might have torn off some of its skin or had inflicted worse damage. The veterinarian used a liquid to dissolve the glue. Once removed from the stick card it was dropped in a box. Thanking the veterinarian and the receptionist who was very patient with me since I was distraught over the sight of the helpless mouse, I left and set it free in the park.

The image of the tiny frail creature squeaking in fear and frustration stuck with me for a while. The next day, Sunday morning I thought about it. In my own life I certainly have been stuck to terror even if it did not feel like it----stuck to sin.

I thought in regards to my life and to yours and everyone else’s lives how God with gentleness through his only son Our Lord Jesus Christ sets us free. With loving fatherly fingers removes us from what will destroy us eternally.

Thinking about the frail, field mouse I thought about myself. In my life and spiritual journey, I have been quick, curious and scared like a field mouse. Having a certain type of mental illness, this has made me feel marginalized in society but I hope too empathetic toward others. Still, there was the feeling of feeling alone and like a mouse among giant hostile strangers.

I kid my Guardian Angel from time to time telling him, I’m like a tiny, wet frightened barn mouse he has to keep in check with his hands. And there is some truth to that! My Angel has held me in his hands! He is a superior spirit after all that operates outside the limitations of the material world.

Too, in my smallness I can find liberation. Liberation in letting myself go into God’s hands!

And like a small field mouse snuggled up safely in its nest, I would like to find myself one day snuggled safely away in the folds to God the Father’s vast flowing robe.

To conclude, I would like to end with the closing lyrics from the Classic Christian Hymn: On Eagles Wings, “…And hold you and hold you in the palm of his hand.”
© Copyright 2010 straker (tinyastro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703366-Me-Gods-Tiny-Field-Mouse