*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703367-Lifes-not-about-wining
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1703367
Living in society and removing the barriers
Why am I writing? The answer is why not? Some might think it’s because I want to be well known. I mean lots of famous people write books, and it would be nice to be recognised in the street as a renowned author rather than been looked at because I am disabled. Although, no to be honest - the reason I am writing, is because I want the reader it to see, yes I am disabled, and yes I can live a full life-like everyone else can and does.

I wanted to show that yes I have Cerebral Palsy, and it can be hard at times, but everything and anything is possible; you at this moment need to look at it from a different perspective. Rather than thinking off the top of your head right I want to do go on holiday for example and just booking it and going; it only takes a bit of planning and organising and then yes you can go.

All too often disabled people and their families, including me are told by various people, you can't do that, and, or you can't go there because you are disabled, well yes I am disabled, and yes I can do it. This is my story, of how I live life to the full and prove to all the people who said I can't, that I actually can and do. I also hope that it will inspire others to maybe think "you know what?" I thought I couldn't do that either but look it can be done and therefore, spurs you on to have a go yourself. I have always been told that life is not for winning, but it is a mind game, and it's how you use your mind to play the life that you have been dealt with, is what really matters.

In some respects life is for winning but not in the sense of getting to the wining post, but more a sense of overcoming the barriers that society puts in place. Once you start overcoming and pushing the boundaries that’s when you are wining because you have achieved something that was previously out-of-bounds, and therefore, you have just achieved your gold medal, and you can be proud of yourself and have your five minutes of fame.

If it wasn't for my Mum and Dad I would not be here, I believe we are all here for a reason, I mean when Mum gave birth to me; I was premature and only weighed 3 lbs initially, now things could have quite easily gone either way, but I know that I wanted to be here and face the challenges of life head on. I made the decision as Mum was bringing me into the world, and I was battling like mad to make an appearance, and if you ask mum now would she of done it a second time? Her answer would be definitely not!!! When the staff got me out I knew I had made it, and I had overcome the very first hurdle and had thousand’s more to come but didn’t realise them, but I was ready all the same.

In life, we all reach key milestones, when you hit 18 and then 21. Then you are given the key to the door so to speak, yes I also reached those, although I believe I was given my keys as I came into the world so that I could explore my world, and open all the doors that face me automatic or otherwise, yes a lot of doors get closed in front of you when people say you "can’t" and yes I got plenty of them and still do. Although, I see life as a massive bunch of keys and if the first door doesn’t open as you would like, you just go forward and try another key until you get to where you want to be and even then there will always be barriers stopping you and might allow you one step forward but will send you 10 steps straight back. This is called the journey of life you never know what’s behind the door until you open it and give it a go.
© Copyright 2010 The Sky's the limit (susieben at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1703367-Lifes-not-about-wining