*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704388-Heathers-First-Day
Rated: E · Fiction · Friendship · #1704388
"But I want to go to day camp." A dialogue-only first day of school, 302 words.
"But I don't WANT to go to school, Mommy."

"Of course you don't, Heather. Everyone has trouble trying something new and different."

"I just want to go to day camp again. Why can't I stay at day camp and never ever go?"

"Well, if you did that we'd never ever see you again either, and you wouldn't want that."

"I want to go to day camp, not school."

"Heather, please. Not today. I can't deal with another meltdown. Come on, put your shoes on and let's get in the car or you're going to be late."

"But why? I said I wanted to go to daaaaaay caaaaaamp."

***

"Sorry I'm late, Mrs. Kauffman. Heather had a little trouble dealing with the change of pace this morning. Heather, remember Mrs. Kauffman from last week? Mrs. Kauffman is your new teacher."

"Hi, Heather! Come on in. We have a seat for you at this table right here, and let's go find your cubby in the coatroom, okay? Mrs. Lundgren, don't worry, she'll be fine."

"I just don't want her to have another meltdown."

"We'll be fine. We'll see you at three. Say bye to your mommy, Heather!"

"I don't want you to go, Mommy!"

"Don't worry, Mrs. Lundgren."

"Goodbye, Heather! I'll see you soon."

***

"I don't want to go NOW."

"Honey, we have to go, the school is closing. We'll come back tomorrow and you can finish your picture then."

"But... Mommy! Adam got to take his picture home already."

"Who's Adam?"

"He sits cross from me and he is a really good colorer. And he even shared his colors with me!"

"Adam must be nice to share with. I bet he's a good friend."

"Yep yep! I wanna draw like him too. He made horsies!"

"That's great, sweetheart. Put on your jacket."

"I can't wait 'til tomorrow!"




© Copyright 2010 Jay's debut novel is out now! (bowling_shoe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704388-Heathers-First-Day