*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704409-Little-Pony-Boy
Rated: E · Fiction · Animal · #1704409
Kasey has a dream. Will it come true?
Little Pony Boy

Ever since Kasey was a little girl she wanted a pony.

Each Christmas she would dutifully write Santa a letter asking for a spotted pony. Every birthday she blew out her candles asking for the same.

But every year she was disappointed. Dolls, clothes, books, not even a toy pony.

As Kasey grew older she stopped believing in Santa Claus, and even though she still wished on her birthdays, her hopes dimmed of ever receiving the one thing she wanted.

Now it was her twenty fifth birthday. Her husband, Clay, had planned a big shindig that she really hadn't wanted. He had invited friends, family and neighbors to the ranch. Yes, she lived on a large cattle ranch with the love of her life. There were horses there but they were all for working cattle and none were hers. She rode when the cattle needed working but she wanted to ride for pleasure. And none of the horses on the ranch were paints. She always wanted a loud, splashy paint horse.

Kasey made small talk with everyone, making the rounds in a kind of dance. Clay had kept his distance from her and she wondered more than once why. They were usually joined at the hip.

As the sun started its trek down into the western horizon, Clay called for everyone's attention. He asked Kasey to step forward. She hated being put in the spotlight and Clay knew it. She was already put out with him over his distance during the party. When she approached him she noticed a small smile playing across his lips.

“What are you up to?” she asked through clenched teeth.

“Turn around and close your eyes.”

“No way.”

“Pretty please?”

Sighing she turned and closed her eyes. If she played along this would soon be over. A small gasp escaped her when she felt cloth being placed over her eyes and tied behind her head.

“No peeking,” Clay whispered. “I'll be right back.”

Kasey imagined everyone was staring at her. Some may even be in on Clay's little joke. She simmered at the thought and planned on giving him a piece of her mind later.

She felt something move behind her. Something big. It gave her a gentle shove and snorted. She grabbed the bandana from her eyes and wheeled around. She came face to face with a horse. Not just any horse but a paint horse. He was black and white with one blue eye. Flashy. Everything she ever wanted in a horse. She put her hand out and the horse nuzzled it with his soft muzzle. Tears blurred her vision.

“His registered name is Kasey's Little Pony Boy. Of course you can call him whatever you want,” Clay said.

“I think Pony Boy is perfect,” she answered.

“Happy birthday Darlin'.”

And it was a happy day, one of her best.
© Copyright 2010 Nikola~Loving Her Gracie Girl! (nmarshall at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704409-Little-Pony-Boy