*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704708-Martyr-Chapter-5
Rated: 18+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1704708
Things are literally too good to be true.
FIVE


Before I knew it, graduation was a week away and I was five months into my new job at Designed Projections. I’d done so well in the writing department that I was being promoted to research after the summer break. They actually went to the locations, took photographs, and reported back. That included six fully paid vacations a year to some beautiful destinations around the country. My life certainly turned around.  A full summer for fun, work I could do from my laptop, and a 40 hour a week job that would pay the bills, and then some. 

Since I had the summer off, Chloe and her mom invited me to stay the summer with them in their huge house. Cocktail parties, swimming pools and an entire staff to cater to all our needs - all of it only a couple weeks away.

Finally, after five years of all night cram sessions, spending hundreds of dollars on coffee and late-night pizza deliveries, it was my graduation day. Instead of participating in the commencement ceremony – I opted to stand at the top of Memorial Hill with a bottle of Disaronno. It wasn’t a sad occasion, I was exhilarated. Chloe sat beside me on the hood of my car and we watched hundreds of nameless people toss their caps and hug their mothers. This was my victory day.

Not only had I graduated high school, but I graduated with two degrees from a school with a recognizable name and had over one hundred and eighty credit hours to my name. I had a friend I trusted, and I was going to be spending almost three months in her big, expensive house being catered to by paid staff.

For a piece of white trash derived from an alcoholic, drug addicted, man handling, welfare abusing, uneducated, and cruel mother - I was living the high life.

I smiled, leaning back on the hood of my car to bask in the warm sun. Chloe just stared straight ahead with a smile and let me enjoy my moment of rhapsodic idiocy. She was silent for over an hour, a true feat in itself for her.

As the ritual drew to a close, we drove back to the apartment ahead of the traffic jam that would surely ensue.

“I’ve never seen you so happy, Evie.”

I put my keys on the rack and gave Chloe a hug. “I’ve never been so happy, ever. This is ridiculous. My body wants to explode right now. I did everything I was never supposed to do. Do you know that people laughed when I gave my valedictorian speech in high school? I told them anything was possible, all we had to do was achieve it. I heard their thoughts; I was supposed to be a drug addict like my mom. I was supposed to get knocked up and never leave town. Well, they can all go to hell.” My smile wasn’t a cheap reproduction of my friend’s. It was unadulterated, glowing.

“I’d say I think you’re drunk out of your mind, but you didn’t even open your bottle.”

I looked down at the little square glass bottle in my hand. She was right. I simply didn’t want it.

“Anyway, I want to make you some dinner, and then we can hang out and do whatever you want.” She stopped halfway to the kitchen, turning around again. “Unless of course you wanted to go out somewhere, I didn’t even think to ask.”

“Hmm.” I knew I didn’t want to go anywhere. Every restaurant within a ten mile radius of Lawrence was going to be jam packed. Then again, I didn’t want to stay in this house. I wanted to do something, do anything. I felt like my body would shake with excess energy if I didn’t expend it somehow. “You know what I want do?”

She laughed. “Nope, tell me.”

“Let’s go ahead and go back tonight. Would your parents be cool with that?”

My vivacious friend actually clapped in delight. I didn’t know people literally jumped for joy, I’d only read about it. “Are you kidding me? Yes, they’d love it. It’s actually graduation night where for my high school, too. Tons of my friends will be in town, and there will be gobs of parties all over.”

Oh, not exactly what I was picturing. “Sure, sounds great.”

Deflated, I went back to my room as Chloe started making a round of calls to her family and some of her friends. I have no idea why I recommended going back. Perhaps I wanted a glimpse of what could be for me someday, with paid staff and a beautiful house. Maybe I was thinking about a three hour drive with the music blaring in my car, singing along like Chloe and I always seemed to do. Whatever passed through my mind, it was too late to take it back now. On this happiest of day, I really didn’t want to meet people who would probably know me or at least my name, and be judged by my best friend’s rich family and friends.

An hour later, I loaded my two suitcases into the trunk of my car. Chloe’s ‘travel bags’ took up the entirety of my backseat, even though we were going to her house. “I have to bring all my favorite clothes back with me. Plus my makeup and hair stuff. I can’t remember what I have there.” She explained.

We were taking my car, because not only could Chloe just use one of her parent’s multiple cars, but I still had a couple of road trips to make this summer for work.

Muse was sleeping in his pet kennel in the back seat, and after popping a Talking Heads CD in; we left the crowded city behind.

“I talked to my friend Katelyn. She’s having a huge party at her house tonight. It’s just going to be mostly my class there. Some of the younger kids will probably come, too.”

“Sounds cool. So what will be going on?”

“They’ve got a pool and stuff so we’ll all just have some fun. I haven’t seen most of these people since graduation, so it will be really cool.” She was beaming again, and damn if her enthusiasm wasn’t catching.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been to a high school party.” I mused aloud.

“So you never partied until college, then you partied all the time with one druggie chick?” Her tone was uncharacteristically sharp as her nose wrinkled with obvious distaste.

“You mean, Amber? Yeah, pretty much. I guess I told you how I used to drink before, huh?”

She tried to be nonchalant, it wasn’t working. “Yeah, it’s um… that’s not going to be a problem right? I mean I don’t care, obviously, if you drink or whatever. It’s just that we’ll have to go back to my parent’s tonight…” Maybe this isn’t a good idea. Her mind was buzzing with embarrassment and I fought hard to keep my own emotions. It was hard not to succumb to hers. Like usual, her projections almost overtook my own.

“Chloe, I’m not like Amber, alright. I used to have a habit of going overboard a little bit, but I haven’t even drunk once since you moved in. Cut me some slack okay, you’re the one who wanted to go to this stupid party anyway.”

Her mood was catching anyway. Sometimes being in someone else’s head was unendurable. I switched the CD out for one Chloe didn’t like, and turned it up almost as loud as it would go.

Even through my anger, it didn’t pass me by that this was our first fight. I instantly regretted getting upset, and almost turned the music back off to talk to her. Then again, I wasn’t the one that had insulted her, she should apologize first.

After a moment of sulking, I shut off the radio violently with abhorrence at my childish behavior.

“Look, I’m sorry.”

She grimaced. “Don’t apologize. Look, I didn’t have a right to get mad or anything. It’s hard to explain.”

“Try me.”

Her mind was inundated with thoughts, one tangent following another until I shielded from her to think straight. She didn’t say anything, and after a few minutes I turned the radio back on quietly. We got through the entire CD before she spoke again.

“My parents have a tendency to be kind of… crazy. Not like, mental or anything, but they’re super judgmental. Uber Christian, no nonsense type of people. I guess I’m just worried about the trip, is all.”

The shame that rolled off her stunned me. We were just entering Garnet, and I stopped at a gas station. “Chloe, I can just drop you off and come back here. I didn’t realize this was going to be a problem.”

“Evie, it’s not you who’s going to be a problem. You’re great; they’re going to love you. It’s just…” She chewed on her bottom lip and turned to stare out the window.

“It’s what?”

“Listen, this is going to be so weird. And I don’t know how to say it.” She turned to look at me, full on. Her usual smile was gone and in its place was a very un-Chloe like desperate frown. “Look, they’re judgmental. Really bad. What if they say something, you know, in their heads. What if they think something about you or your family background, or about me? What if they do something horrible and you don’t want to be my friend anymore?” She turned her head to the side again, but not before the street lights illuminated the tears on her cheek.

I got out of the car, opened her passenger side door and knelt down in front of her. “Hey. Listen, no matter what happens, you aren’t your parents. If I took you home to meet my mom, you would want to kill her in a minute. I know better than anyone that you don’t have to be your family. No matter what they think of me, you’re still going to be my best friend and roommate for as long as you want to be.”

Don’t hurt them, don’t put things in their head. She tried to think about something else, but it was still right there, screaming from her.

I dug my fingernails into my palms, fighting for control of my suddenly flared anger. “I’m not a monster, Chloe.” I shut her door, got the gas and drove straight through to her house without another word.

***


It was evident as soon as we pulled into the driveway her mom, at least, wasn’t going to be a problem. She came out to meet us, giving Chloe a huge hug and kiss, and then doing the same to me. Mrs. Stein wasn’t large, but she wasn’t thin either. She was also almost six feet tall, including her ridiculously high black patent heels. She was dyed blonde, and her hair was almost professionally curled around her face. Her skinny jeans and bright red tunic shirt weren’t really age appropriate, but she worn them with class. She was a walking mid-life crisis if I had ever seen one.

“Oh, Evelyn I’ve heard so much about you! You’re just as beautiful as Chloe said you were.” She turned to beam at her daughter. It was unmistakable where Chloe got her magnetism, and her award winning smile.

“It’s good to meet you too Mrs. Stein—“

She let out one sharp peal of laughter so loud I jumped. “Please, call me Carolyn. I’m too young to be a Mrs. Stein!” She wrapped an arm around Chloe and her other one around me and led us into the house. “This, my lovely little thing, is my home.”

Chloe hid her eyes behind her hand and shook her head in obvious mortification. I couldn’t help but smile at Carolyn’s enthusiasm. “Wow, I have honestly never seen a home this beautiful before. I’ve only seen staircases like that in movies.” Right inside of the heavy front doors, was a wide staircase with a landing which went all the way around the foyer. I could see four doors on the second floor, all in the same heavy dark wood as the front doors.

         “Chloe, honey, can you go find Jack and have him carry you girls’ stuff in and put them in the rooms. Evelyn, do you want an upstairs or downstairs room?”

         I gaped at her. “You have multiple guest rooms?”

         Both Chloe and her mom giggled as Chloe went off into a side room. “Yes, dear. The upstairs one has a veranda and its own bathroom. The downstairs one has a door that goes to the pool but you’d have to use the main bath or Chloe’s upstairs. Your choice!”

         “Um, downstairs would be fine. Thank you so much.”

         She has manners! Well, now. The university has definitely been the better for her. And she’s so clean and everything. I should have known Jonny would over exaggerate. Her mental image of me was red headed, freckled, and dirty. Her gaze turned confused as I hid a chortle behind my fingers. 

         She lead me through the house, showing me the main living room, a huge formal dining room and something she called a cocktail room that seemed like an inside extension of their pool and outside entertainment area. Beyond a second living room was an absolutely stunning kitchen.

“You have stainless steel counter tops. Why do you need two refrigerators? Are those both pantries?”

“Ah, someone who actually appreciates my workroom.” A full sized porcelain doll walked into the kitchen from one of the pantries, smirking. “I’m Roz, the Stein’s cook and event organizer.”

She walked over to Carolyn and kissed both of her cheeks. “Good evening, Roz. This is Evelyn, the young woman my Chloe is living with.”

“You can just call me Evie, everyone else does.” She put a kiss on both of my cheeks as she had Carolyn.

“So wonderful to meet you.” She was frail and looked younger than Chloe. Her complexion was pale, and her bright blue eyes took up a large portion of her face. Her jet black hair was cropped short and spiked up lightly in the back. The dark hair contrasted against her light features was gorgeous. Her outfit was modest, consisting of a knee length black skirt and a white chef’s coat unbuttoned to show a blue button up shirt. Everything about her looked polished, perfect and sparkling.

“Ms. Roz has been with our family for almost five years. She’s the absolute most wonderful chef the world has ever seen.” Carolyn beamed at her, proud as a peacock.

Roz’s face blushed beautifully as she ducked her head in thanks. “Thank you Ms. Carolyn. Evelyn, or Evie rather, it is wonderful to meet you. You can stop by anytime and we can explore the kitchen together if you’d like.”

What a beautiful girl. Oh well, a friend of Chloe’s won’t be anything but wound up and straighter than God himself. She thought.

As Carolyn started to lead me away I winked inconspicuously at the lovely Roz. Her eyes widened, surprised.

Thankfully, Chloe returned, smiling broadly and gave Roz a big hug. “Hey, lady! What’s up?”

“Everything is going wonderfully Chloe. I was just making the acquaintance of your friend.” She was careful to keep her eyes on Chloe.

“Oh yea, Evie’s pretty awesome, eh?”

“Well, Roz, have a great night. We’ll see you in the morning.” Mrs. Stein wrapped an arm around both Chloe and I again, and led us upstairs. Though none of us were obese, it was still surprising that the stairs were wide enough to accommodate the movement. I glanced back once at the Stein’s beautiful cook who was smiling up at us from the front door. She smiled shyly and gave waved her tiny hand hello as she caught my gaze.

Carolyn showed me the master suite, which surpassed the size of my entire apartment. There were two more guest rooms, a billiards room and a media room that housed ten authentic looking movie chairs, a projection screen and dark curtains. Finally, we came to Chloe’s room.

“Well, I’m supposed to meet Mary Cooper for drinks. I imagine the two of you will be okay for the rest of the night?” I hope Jack hasn’t already left for the night. Her imagination wandered for a moment longer, and I caught some out of the ordinary images of Jack. Apparently, Carolyn wasn’t quite the lady her daughter thought her to be.

“Sure, mom. We might head over to Katelyn’s or we might just hang out here and watch some movies. Evie graduated today, we’ve got some celebrating to do.”

Carolyn turned a wondered expression to me. “From KU? I didn’t realize they gave out two year degrees.”

Chloe rolled her eyes before turning to her bed to start unpacking.

“Actually, I don’t know if they do. But I graduated with a bachelor’s and a Master’s today.”

“Bach in business management and the other one is English.” Chloe said from somewhere deep inside her closet.

Her mother’s face was perplexed. I could see that my education didn’t fit in at all with whatever information her husband had given her on me. She muttered congratulations and left the room. As soon as it was appropriate, I laughed hard enough to bring Chloe out of her closet.

“What’s so funny?”

“Oh nothing, I’m just not what your mom was expecting.” My laughter died off into little aftershocks of giggles. “Your house is pretty amazing, Chloe.”

She grinned. “Duh. Want to go see your room?”

“In a little bit. I feel like I should be apologizing to you though. Living in your room in our place must feel claustrophobic. Your bedroom is the size of both of our rooms put together.”

“Yeah, but it’s mostly empty.” She said, kicking a patch of empty carpet. “I like my other room. It’s cozy and warm and isn’t so hard to keep clean.”

I refrained from telling her how crazy that sounded. Could there be a space too big?

“Well, what do you want to do? We’ve got hundreds of movies in the media room, we’ve got a pool and we’ve also got a fully stocked bar downstairs. Or, of course, we can go to Katelyn’s. Mom won’t be back until really late. When she goes to Mary’s she usually gets pretty drunk.”

“Where is your dad?”

“Oh, I forgot to tell you! He’s in Washington for a few weeks. He won’t be back till like mid-June or something.” Thank God. Maybe we can just chill and have a good time. Mom doesn’t check the bar.

“And you were commenting on my alcohol abuse.”

She stuck her tongue out at me. “Stay out of my brain. Let’s go see your room.”

My room was amazing. Done in all white and light blue, it felt like what I thought an oceanfront house would look like. We spent the next couple of weeks swimming in their monstrous pool, visiting Chloe’s friends and going shopping. Carolyn and Chloe had me try on hundreds of things in the stores we visited, and I was surprised when Jack delivered more than 10 shopping bags to my room after we got home. I’d bought a few things for myself at Carolyn’s urging, but I hadn’t known Chloe was taking all of my expensive “returns” to the counter. They’d spent over six hundred dollars in clothes just for me.

More surprisingly, they each had at least twenty bags of their own, each.

It felt nice to wear pretty clothes, to go with Chloe to a salon and get my hair cut and my nails done. It didn’t feel nice when Chloe or her mother always fit the bill. I found out quickly that arguing wasn’t accepted. Things were literally too good to be true.

© Copyright 2010 Bethany - Thanks Angels! (bethany_ray at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1704708-Martyr-Chapter-5