*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705349-Tempest-Law-Bit-1
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1705349
This is a bit of the first chapter of my upcoming trilogy, Tempest Law The Solmyr Trilogy.
Just the mere sight of him made the knight growl.

The knight couldn’t stand the arrogant look on his face and the relaxed way he was leaning his back on to the wall, as if there was no honor to recognize in the assignment he had been given. Sir Austin would have liked nothing less then to be able to discipline the runt, physically.

“All-flame,” He said, close to only humbling the name, as if only to let him know that he was aware of his presence, nothing more.

“Sir Austin,” the All-flame responded; implying the same gesture.

“You’re late; you and your men are all late.” All-flame said, his stance still leaning towards the wall, back first. Sir Austin half glared at the kid in front of him, waiting for an unequaled eye contact from All-flame’s part. “I will not tolerate any of your childish games today, All-flame.” Austin crossed his arms and cocked his head to his right. “This is a very important day for the Senator and a very important day for The High Alliance, and by God; I intend to make it a perfect inauguration.”

The All-flame peeked up at the knight in slight annoyance. “You don’t have to tell…” But before he finished, the knight shot his palm forward towards the face of the adept. “In the name of my order’s holy crest; I, Baron Knight Sir Austin Truebulanch, claim command of today’s responsibilities, and along with it, all of the authorities for this day’s arrangements!”

Now gazing at him with both of his eyes, wide open, All-flame made an attempt at speaking up, but was quickly apprehended. “That’s right, warlock. I know why they transferred you to this assignment; they wanted you to lead the inauguration’s security matters and crossed their fingers for a flawless day so that your reputation would fly ski high and earn favors from the men of the higher societies. They wished for you to slither your way under the skin of the Senator personally.”

At this point, All-flame was just baffled, he wasn’t used to this kind of behavior neither during his time at the Capital or in the years he spent under the Order’s apprenticeship, but he was still some-what eager to listen to Sir Austin’s farfetched accusations.

“This opportunity that you have wrongly been given is exactly what you needed, for a insolent runt like you to become the All-flame at your disrespectful age is outrageous, nobody believed it would ever last. Your peers knew that if they did not do something drastic about your reputation quickly, the Order could end up being demanded to strip you of your title; which could only back-fire back at them, creating a hell of negative influence on The Order.” He crossed his arms again, with the outmost confidence. “But I’ve beat you to it. I claim ‘Militia’ on you and your adepts; in the name of The Knight’s Table, and by doing so I officially outrank your trickster title.”

Simply amazing, All-flame thought. If you had only been born with a small fracture of common intelligence.

Neither the soldier, nor the mages had the guts to stand up to Sir Austin when he acted out like this. It was no secret that the man was known to have crossed his authorities at a multitude of times in the past and even physically injured men of lower ranks them himself. They all feared a brawl would break out, which would be bad enough in itself, hadn’t it been for that they were also currently in the middle of the Lord’s Quarters. For heaven’s sake, people of high standards went about with their lives in these halls.

“I see.” All-flame said in a defeated manner. “I guess there’s nothing I can do then. It is a Baron Knight’s right to claim ‘Militia’ in an urgently important moment as he sees fit. All for the sake of preventing catastrophic losses of life with his might. After all; I’m only a lowly warlock as you said yourself, whatever could I do standing up towards a Baron Knight?” Sir Austin grinned, All-flame’s reply seemed to have pleased his ego.

“You do know that it is a Baron Knight’s privilege to claim ‘Militia’ only once throughout his whole carrier? And that the moment that the respected knight takes his ‘Militia’ into action it will be documented into records for all eternity?” All-flame bounced off the wall and straightened his figure.

“Yes, I do know that and what a glorious day this will be now that the responsibility has fallen back into the rightful executers of this day’s glorious ceremony! And all of its praise will be handed down to me, Baron Knight Sir Austin Truebulanch, yours truly.”

All-flame burst out laughing, not laughing out loud though, he wasn’t the person to do that. His laugh and voice generally were quite low. It fitted his personality with his laidback attitude.

“You’re the most incompetent tool of them all, Sir.” All-flame managed to utter while still laughing.

“I already told you, didn’t I? You and your men are late,” All-flame said. The Knight stared at All-flame. “The Senator’s inauguration is just moments away from taking place, and we were both supposed to be the escort for the Senator and bring him safely to the Citadel courtyard. However, that’s changed by now, hasn’t it? You’re the one in charge here; you are hereby personally responsible for the delay caused to this holy ceremony.”

One of the soldiers, placed far enough away from Sir Austin to actually dear to do it, lowered his head in his palm, face first. The soldiers would have told him earlier hadn’t it been for the uproar he had caused with the All-flame. “We’re l-late? But we just… I was only…”

All-flame placed two of his fingers on his left hand on the further left side of his face and victoriously brushed away his bangs, alabaster as a unforgiving blizzard, revealing the genuine pleased look in his face. “That’s right. We’re officially behind schedule, all thanks to you, Baron Knight Sir Austin.”
© Copyright 2010 Morbidpetal (morbidpetal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705349-Tempest-Law-Bit-1