*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705738-Missing-Chapter-1
by Onyx
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1705738
The beginning of an epic search .
Kim parked her car and sullenly closed the car windows. She gathered her handbag and the car keys, opened the door and let herself out. Kim slammed the door of her white Toyota, and locked the doors. Throwing her handbag over her shoulders, Kim climbed up the steps leading to the front door of her house. Well, her family's house anyway.



At twenty, Kim was a very attractive girl, her long, wavy hair a flaming red, and her almond shaped eyes a beautiful blue - green. She had the figure of a model and for this, she was the envy of girls her age.



Kim banged at the black aluminium door, and waited for her parents to open up for her. Dad opened the door.



"Welcome back, sweet!" he exclaimed. He opened his arms to hug Kim.

"Dad, don't call me sweet. I am twenty. And if you want a hug, ask mum for one, not me," said Kim angrily.

She pushed past her surprised father and walked briskly to the kitchen.

"Er...didn't it work out well with James after all?" asked Dad, following his daughter.

Kim looked at her forty-eight year old dad furiously. Her eyes narrowed and her cheeks flushed a bight red.

"So you're going to keep butting in my affairs. I want to be alone. Get it? Seems like you didn't. GO AWAY!!!!!" yelled Kim.

Dad sighed.

"I was just trying to help you," he said, opening the fridge.

"Then you're useless," retorted Kim.

Dad ignored her and took his time to look for his all time faveourite Cadbury chocolates, which his wife had hidden so that he'll follow his diet properly.

"Where's mum?" asked Kim gruffly.

"She went to some meeting about data protection. She'll be back soon," replied Dad.

As if to illustrate his words, there was a bang on the door.

"Go get it will you?" asked Dad, his mouth full of chocolate.

"Dad, you're like a stupid child. Why are you so addicted to chocolate?" asked Kim, who made no attempt to move away from the kitchen.

Dad sighed and went to meet his wife himself. He re-entered the kitchen, followed by Mum.

"So, we eat?" he asked cheerfully.

"As if this is the start of a royal banquet," muttered Kim.

"Of course it is! I am the King, your mum is the Queen and you're our lovely princess," retorted Dad, kissing his daughter. She smacked his face angrily.

"Kim!" exclaimed her mother outraged,"that's not the way to treat your father is it?"

Kim angrily looked away.

Supper was not cheerful that day. Kim moodily ate her chicken, pushing her fork through the meat as if trying to stab someone. Dad didn't speak at all.

Mum put down her knive and fork, letting out a sigh.

"Kim, how did you become so insolent? I wonder how you and James get along," she said.

" Dad is treating me like a child and if you really want to know, I have long broken up with James - I loathe him," snapped Kim.

Her mother let out another sigh as her husband rose from the table without speaking to anyone. Mum watched him go out of the kitchen, then she turned to her daughter.

"Kim, you don't understand your father. He teases you a bit because he loves you. And I guess it's time to tell you why he spoils you so much," said Mum

"Yeah....spill the beans..." said Kim, yawning.

Mum made herself some tea, then sat beside Kim and started to tell her story.

© Copyright 2010 Onyx (whilelmina96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1705738-Missing-Chapter-1