*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706417-Poor-Thing
by What
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1706417
Flash Fiction Entry 9/08
         I reached to grab the day old bag of popcorn off the coffee table, scavenging for a few kernels I knew I'd left in the bottom of the bag. However, I found the bag completely empty, lacking even any cheese to scratch off and lick from my fingers. Thinking nothing of it, I crumpled it up and set it back on the coffee table. Suddenly I heard a strange tapping sound that I could not place. Since I posses a healthy curiosity, I gathered all my energy, stood up from the couch, and looked around the room. Unable to discern the source of the noise, I proceeded to do one quick lap around the sofa, just to check for immediate threats. Just as I was about to plop back down, something strange caught my eye.
         A little brown mouse stood on my windowsill staring in at me and looking extremely distraught. The rodent would tap on the window, then paw at his mouth. Peering into my eyes with his own beady little black ones, he reached up and placed both of his little pink hands on the glass pane, and mouthed a two syllable word that I failed to interpret.
         After several moments of adjusting to the shock caused by the speaking critter, I did all I could think to do and mouthed back “Huh?”, to which the mouth responded with the same two syllable word, which I could still not understand. Motioning to the mouse to stay calm, I unslid the locks, and lifted the frame slightly. The mouse scampered back a few tiny steps, but remained on the window sill. “Now what was that?” I asked, leaning forward and offering my ear.
         “TOOTHPICK!!!” The mouse yelled in a barely audible, squeaky voice.

Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2010 What (what at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706417-Poor-Thing