*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706486-The-Dogs-Point-of-View
by Naomi
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1706486
Do the things that owners do really bother their dogs?
This piece is written for the Writer's Cramp (09/09/10)



The smell of fresh pet treats filled the air. There was Lamb, Beef, and Honey. I tried to ignore the chicken since I can’t eat chicken anyway. If I do, I break out in horrible itchy rashes in places where it’s almost impossible for me to scratch, and the last time, my girl Tracy had to put on it an atrociously stinky liquid. It got better the next day, so I’m assuming that it was some sort of magic.

I was lying down at my favorite spot at Kerisha’s Pets. Tracy always comes here to buy toys and delicious organic treats and I love coming here. It’s also a cafĂ© of sorts. There are times when Tracy would come for a cup of coffee or a plate of Aglio Olio, and she’d order for me from the pet menu. My favorite was this beefy filled mashed potato with loads of bacon bits in it.

I watched Tracy take her time as she walked down the aisles, looking for something. Kerisha’s pet Retriever Mage walked over.

‘Your girl found anything yet?’ she inquired.

‘I have not the foggiest. She’s still searching. I doubt it’s for me, “I replied.

‘Well, who could it be for then?’ Mage sat down beside me and made herself comfortable.

‘I’m not too sure. She just received some card from the mail the other day, and she flashed it in front of me saying something like: “Chelsea! We’ve been invited to a birthday party! It’s Kim’s dog’s birthday! I’ve never been to one before. What should we get him?”’

‘What does that mean?’ Mage asked.

‘How would I know? She loves to ramble on and on but I don’t understand a single word. The only ones I know are “Sit”, “Roll Over”, “Play Dead”, and all those other sorts. And of course I know when she’s happy or sad when I read her body language. But besides that, nothing, I don’t understand the rest of what she says,’ I commented. 

Mage laughed. ‘These humans, I really don’t understand them.’

I turned my attention back to Tracy. She was walking towards me, and her basket was half full of toys, bones and packs of bacon treats.

“Let’s go Chelsea!” she chirped. Now that phrase- I understood.

‘Well, looks like she’s finally done. I’ve got to go Mage. See you soon.’ I got up and stretched.

‘Alright girl, see ya.’ Mage settled down and closed her eyes to rest.

“Thanks Kerisha,” Tracy said as she placed the basket of goodies on the counter and took out her wallet to pay.

“This is a lot of stuff Trace. All these for Chelsea?” Kerisha beeped the items.

“Nope. We’re going to my pet’s birthday party after this, and I thought I’d give them a basket full of goodies. Wrap them up please?”

“Sure. The total will be $60.50.” Kerisha quoted.

Tracy paid as Kerisha’s assistant placed all the items in a basket and wrapped the package. Once that was done, we were ready to leave.

“Thanks so much Keri!”  Tracy picked up the huge bag and we walked out the store.

Tracy opened the car door and placed the package in the back. Then she opened the front door and let me in, before walking to the driver’s side.

“We’re going to a party Chelsea. You ready?” Tracy smiled, started the car and off we went. 

After what seemed like a long time, we finally arrived at our destination. It was a beautiful white house sitting at the top of a hill. Tracy stopped at the huge gate and lowered the window to press the button on the black box on the wall. The box beeped and a voice spoke. The black box can speak?!  I was curious how a little black box could speak. After Tracy and the black box exchanged a few words, the gate opened and we drove up the gavel path. I was amused and excited. Where exactly were we?

We reached the top of the path, and to my horror, I saw at least 30 dogs and their owners. It was horrifying, because I’ve never seen so many dogs in my life!

Tracy unbuckled her seat belt and stretched behind to pick up the gift. She then attached a leash to my collar.

“I wouldn’t want you to get swallowed up in this crowd Chelsea.” She exited and came over to open my side of the door. As I stepped out, I saw a tall young lady in a sun dress run towards us.

“Oh Tracy! You made it!”

Tracy closed the door and turned around.

“Hey Kim!” They gave each other a hug.

Then the lady looked down at me.

“Wow, this must be Chelsea your Border Collie. She’s beautiful!” she leaned down to rub my back.

“Thank you.” Tracy smiled.

“Let Chelsea loose,” Kim smiled. “It’s quite safe. “

Tracy bent down and unhooked my leash.  She and Kim then walked down to the centre of the garden where there was a huge white tent. I stayed at Tracy’s heel. They sat down at a picnic table and started chatting. I made myself comfortable beside her and observed the crowd of people and dogs.

A canine came over to me. ‘Hey there, I’m Jake.’ He was scruffy and definitely not a pedigree.

‘Chelsea,’ I quickly replied, not wanting to continue the conversation.

He noticed.

We sat in silence for awhile. I observed a group of dogs playing boisterously over at the other end.

‘Not going to join them?’ I turned to ask Jake.

‘Tried, but they’re too ‘classy’ for me,’ he replied.

‘I think they’re too boyish for me.’

‘Great! Then let’s get to know each other.’ he grinned sitting down in front of me.

I ignored him and lay my head down to rest.

He is kinda cute though. I thought to myself.





Word Count: 980

© Copyright 2010 Naomi (naomisoxy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706486-The-Dogs-Point-of-View