*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706757-Teach-Me-To-Fly
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Draft · Fantasy · #1706757
An extract from my book where Alex finally teaches Raven to fly...
Teach Me To Fly

“Teach me to fly,” I encouraged. Alex was curled up on one of the lounges reading that small leather bound book. He looked engrossed in this small book, yet he was gentle and hesitant as though if he held it too tight it may break. On the table beside him was a large cup of steaming coffee, which I could smell throughout the Underworld.
“What?” He asked, not taking his gaze from his book. He grabbed the cup of coffee and took a large sip. How can he drink it that hot? He didn’t spill any of it on his dark blue shirt, even though the cup was almost overflowing.
“Ellie, she told me that you can fly. I want you to teach me,” I demanded. I was determined for him to teach me the things that he knew. I needed to find any advantage to survive in this place. And what person has never wondered what it was like to fly?
“It’s ten in the morning,” he instinctively rubbed at his eyes, as if he was still sleepy.
I smiled. “So?”
“Why do you want me to teach you to fly anyway?” He asked. His blonde hair glimmered in the morning light as he turned his head to look at me. He looked tired today. Large rings surrounded his murky green eyes.
“Where is the fun in being plain and boring all the time?” I challenged.
His eyes flashed with excitement as he went into his room and grabbed his full length leather coat. Wearing that, a turtleneck and black jeans, he looked quite threatening. But maybe that’s how he wants you to think... But something about him seemed to make me feel at ease. “Come on then, we haven’t got all day,” He drifted by me and – without a pause to press any of the buttons – he walked through the portal.



We stood at the edge of a steep cliff. Two steps in front of me was a lengthy drop into the rocks hundreds of metres below. The air here was filled with the smell of the ocean as it journeyed from below and brushed past my face. Beneath us, I could hear the crashing of the waves upon the shore. My hair whipped around my face in the breeze. In the far distance I could see a large island.
I could hear memories crying in the winds. Their cries sung in the distance, I’d shut them out as far as possible, but not far enough it seemed. This place had known death and sorrow, yet it seemed at peace. The waves that crashed far below were gentle but held forgotten secrets, too afraid of what may be unleashed if they speak their names.
Alex’s voice snapped me out of my reverie. “Okay, you need to release your wings,” Alex informed. I gave him a blank look. How was I supposed to know how to ‘release my wings’? He sighed. “Okay... Each person has a word that describes everything about them, you with me?”
“Yeah,” I said, nodding my head. Being so close to the edge of that cliff made me rethink how much I trusted Alex. I questioned whether he would catch me if I fell. I looked at him trying to see his intentions and his real thoughts on me. I had completely tuned out his voice as I focused on his features of his face. His skin seemed soft but had a sense of weariness.
“-And, hey presto! You can fly!” I heard him say, faintly. He looked at me, meeting my gaze. He smiled a wry smile. “Why are you looking at me like that?’ My gaze fell to my feet in embarrassment. Gosh, you’re an idiot Raven!
“Sorry, can you repeat that again?” I asked, looking up at him. He was still watching me; his piercing, green eyes trying to see into my soul.
“Can you learn to listen the first time someone says something?” he asked with a smile. He wasn’t serious but he was a little annoyed at my ignorance.
“No, but I have this habit were I stop listening when people speak monotonously,” I stabbed.
He rolled his eyes. “If you ever wish to release your wings, you just say that word or words, and then you can fly,” He held his hands out beside him and flung himself off the cliff.
“Alex!” I screamed. I ran forward, kneeling at the edge of the jagged cliff, to try and see where he was. Below the waves continued to splash upon the shores, unaware of what had occurred. There was no point of impact, no splash, nothing.
It was as if he hadn’t...
A shadow loomed over me, like an oversized eagle. I looked up.
Alex stepped onto the edge of the cliff, huge black wings surrounding his whole body. They were huge compared to his body and they seemed almost... beautiful. Each wing’s length would have had to have been over two metres.
“Did I frighten you?” He asked with a wry smile. Alex seemed clearer now that he had these enormous wings. His bright green eyes sparkled like emeralds, they seemed laid back yet they seemed to be filled with a strange urgency. His muscles seemed more defined and larger – which seems kind of impossible - however something about him seemed so gentle. His skin looked soft and well looked after, his lips were a light pink and well distinct.
“No,” I replied with hot cheeks. “It’s just... it’s just I don’t know the word that describes me,” I added hastily. He looked thoughtful for a moment. His huge wings folded up into their resting place between his shoulder blades.
Alex stepped forward. His mouth almost touched my ear. He came so close I could smell dried blood, spearmint and toothpaste. I could smell a hint of alcohol on his breath. Sweat and metal were added to the list. “Mon Ange,” he whispered in my ear. A shiver went down my spine. My back muscles tightened and a small ripping noise followed. I felt no pain, just a strange discomfort. Shadows now danced across my shoulders. I knew now that what Alex had said had caused me to release my wings.
He stepped back and looked me over for a moment. Seriousness filled his stature yet his eyes flashed excitement. “Okay flap your wings for a second,” Alex ordered. I closed my eyes and pictured my wings gliding with the breeze. I could hear the lapping waves on the beach far below as well as – what I was guessing was – my wings. “Good, good,” I heard Alex say. I opened my eyes to see him standing at the edge of the cliff. His wings were out and fully extended.
My hand moved behind my head to encounter an immensely soft object. My touch caused a small shiver to run along my spine. I ran my hand along the wing. I pulled the wing forward slightly. It made me uncomfortable to know that these two things were protruding from my back. I could see my wings out the sides of my vision. They were a glossy black, and they looked just as soft as they felt. I wonder what it looks like, what I look like.
“You look like you fit,” Alex said, still facing away from me. “Like this is where you belong,” He said softly. I smiled to myself. That was quiet sweet of him to say.
Alex turned to face me. “You ready?” he asked, holding out his hand. I walked forward. He kept his hand outstretched towards me expecting me to take hold. I ignored his hand and went and stood beside him.
“You know, a lot of crap has happened to me. Most of it was sad or unfair yet this, this is something...” I looked down at the rocks hundreds of metres below. That familiar fear rose up into my stomach and I knew I was going to be sick. “This is something I can’t do,” I said quickly stepping away from the edge.
“Who has ever heard of an angel who was afraid of heights,” Alex taunted, turning towards me. “You sure they didn’t make a mistake, because an angel who doesn’t fly is not an angel at all.”
I looked up at him. His words stung, and I didn’t want to defend myself in an argument with him. I regained my composure, walked towards him. And I slapped him across the face. My hand stung, so his face must have hurt more. Alex rolled back on his heels, his hand reaching for his cheek. I stepped back, took a run-up and jumped off the cliff.
Only then did I realise I didn’t know how to fly.

© Copyright 2010 Dust and Shadow (skippy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1706757-Teach-Me-To-Fly