*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707218-Entertaining-Kenny
Rated: E · Editorial · Comedy · #1707218
I wrote this to see if I could put 3 random words together into a story that made sense.
*Exclaim* The three random words are: Basket, Comedian, Thunderstorm.*Exclaim*


I am trapped at the airport because of the weather. Apparently, severe thunderstorms and unrelenting lightning make taking off and landing problematic for airplanes. It would not be that terrible if I was stuck here alone but Kenny and I are in this together. We became fast friends on the flight in from London after his basket of crayons spilled under my seat and I offered to help him pick them all up. Kenny’s mom insisted, as a reward for my chivalry, on buying us all lunch while we wait for our connection in Pittsburg to get the all clear from the storm. So now, I am attempting to keep the little guy entertained while she rustles up something from the McDonald’s or the Subway. From the looks of things, I’m not doing such a great job; the poor thing is gloomier than the horrible weather. I hate being bored and from my limited knowledge of kids, they do not have much tolerance for boredom either.

“Hey Kenny,” I said to the unhappy looking boy. “Just last week I was doing my show at a place called the Comedy Store in London and when I finished up I found myself driving down this lonely empty road.”

Kenny turned his face up to look at me with curiosity blazing in his eyes. My story was working! 

“It began sleeting pretty heavily.” I continued, encouraged by his interest and the noticeable lift to his spirits. “My windows were getting all icy. I tried to use the wiper blades on my rental car to clear the ice but they were so worn out they just crumbled right before my eyes.”

Kenny was now fully facing me and hanging on my every word. He made a great audience and I was thoroughly enjoying the rapt attention. 

“I had to stop because of the ice building up on my front window and then I suddenly had a great idea. I saw a couple of large rocks not far from the car so I got out and pushed them over. Underneath the rocks, I found two very sluggish hibernating rattlesnakes. I snatched them up, straightened them out flat and installed them on my blades and they worked just fine.”
As I finished, a sly smile spread over the boy’s face as he took in my story.

“What?” I asked with a huge grin on my face. “You've never heard of . . . wind chilled vipers?”

Kenny giggled up at me as I laughed aloud and watched his mom grin as she sat down with the bag of food in her lap.
© Copyright 2010 T.M. Naser (bushihat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1707218-Entertaining-Kenny