*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1710383-Haunted-Bridge-Road-1st-Place
Rated: E · Short Story · Activity · #1710383
Anna had been to haunted mansions, woods, and trails. This one was no different...
“You have got to be kidding me,” Anna sneered, “all haunted woods are the lamest thing ever.”

“Come on, Anna. Come with us. It’ll be fun. Don’t you like to be scared?” Jim responded.

“No, thanks.”

“All right. Guess we’ll go without you.”

Jim, Parker, and John all loaded into the convertible and pulled up to the gate. A dark hooded figure with a glowing face pulled open the squeaky gate and beckoned them in. The teens rolled down the windows with five dollar bills in their hands, but the specter turned and melted noiselessly into the woods. They glanced at each other. Jim shrugged and pressed on the accelerator.

A man with a bloody gash on his forehead stepped in front of them. Jim swerved and buried the car into a few bramble bushes. A maple’s trunk stood just inches from his door. A pale death-like hand grabbed Parker’s shoulder. The frigid clammy skin sent chills through him. “Let’s get outta here!”

Jim laughed. “Fraidy cat.”

Jim swerved back on the road as the man-creature lost its grip. Three hundred yards later their wheels hit the bridge. The planks clanked, while several illuminated ghostly figures buzzed their car and John put his hand through one. Wide-eyed, Jim punched the gas, spinning the tires. An axe smashed against the side of car, as a masked man ran toward them. Jim deftly avoided him and slid through the exit gate.

The boys swallowed hard -- Each sweating and breathless. They smoothed their hair as Jim wended back to the entrance where Anna stood. Jim winked at the boys.

“I hate to admit it, but you were right. That was lame. Here.” He tossed her the keys. "You go through."

“Fine, I’ll go. See you at the exit.”

Maybe,” Jim whispered.


299 Words
Flash Story Must contain the line: "I hate to admit it, but you were right"
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1710383-Haunted-Bridge-Road-1st-Place