*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711586-Mystery-Solved
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1711586
Irven instinctively knew there was something strange about the second moon.
Irven Drewry reviewed the navigational settings and trajectory. The calculations to traverse the third moon of Aganimnon caused problems due to the unusual gravitational field of the second moon and its close proximity. After deciding the settings were correct, he set the autopilot and leaned back in his seat for the fifty-five hour trip to Missipan.

Irven awoke to the sounds of buzzers, and checked the navi-computer. The ship had shot by the first moon, and appeared on a collision course with the second moon. Irven recalculated the route.

Smoke drifted from the panel, and the smell of hot metal filled the cabin.
“This isn’t good. I’ve got to set it down.”

Irven scanned the surface and found a place with what appeared to be vegetation. “Looks like grass.” He peered over to the panel which continued to pour denser black smoke. He took a steep attack angle and set it down. He pressed the emergency homing beacon, put on his survival suit, and exited.

The gray surface felt powdery. The ship’s auto extinguishers burst, but the fire kept burning. Irven’s spirits sunk. “I hope the beacon was long enough to alert someone.”
Irven scanned the landscape and spotted the green vegetation ahead. Irven stood a moment in awe. “Surely, I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.” He trod toward it.

As he approached he saw humongous stones stacked in a large circle. Bright green grass surrounded them. He stepped upon the grass and recalled his last trip to Earth. An eerie light bathed the scene. The stones began to glow a dull green and his body felt light and he watched his hand disintegrate before his eyes.

When he awoke he lay in the middle of another stone structure. He peered over at the sign there. “Welcome to Amesbury, England.”


300 Words
Flash Story must contain: Moon, Grass, Stone
© Copyright 2010 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711586-Mystery-Solved