*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711632-Over-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #1711632
Heavy hearted reality of a tough job, rather funny if i do say so myself

There is a crack in the curtain that allows a solitary beam of pure annoying light to strike my eyes. The glory of the day is beating a tattoo on my retinas and I am helpless to resist its potent sting. Twist and turn as I may I cannot escape; the blanket is white and therefore weak before the glare. My arm while solid is small and uncomfortable upon my brow. There seems no escape to my torment my mind begins to broil in anger and resentment at these most unfortunate circumstances. And as I begin to steel myself for the inevitable discomfort of flinging myself out of bed to fix the bane of my sleep all is resolved. My wife picks up what she came for and closes the bedroom door, the resulting gust of cool air pushes the drapes back in place; and all is wonderful and right in the world.

Short, sharp, bursts of irrational noise are echoing around the room. They are inescapable and quickly throwing the veil of sleep away from my mind. My tolerance and threshold are put to the test in mere seconds by this cacophony of agonizing noise. The decibels are rising and soon something must end either my sleep or the presence of the animal making those horrible squeaky barks. The dog is turning in tight circles and burning my brain with his insidious bellowing, I am readying myself for the certain obedience about to be taught when suddenly it happens. My wife enters the room and pets the dog on the head and asks him if he wants to go outside; the dog bounds gleefully out the door my wife smiles at my semi sleeping form and closes the door. Silence, complete and undiluted, enters the room as the door closes my mind lapses all too quickly into serene sleepy bliss, and all is wonderful and right in the world.
© Copyright 2010 poemebbe (mebbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711632-Over-Night