*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711916-Canidae-A-report-by-Cory-McGUCKIN
Rated: E · Other · Animal · #1711916
a short report and a brief history of Wolves, Foxes and many other Canines.
CANIDAE
A REPORT BY Cory McGUCKIN

         Canidae is the full biological family of the animals know as Wolves, Foxes, Coyotes, Jackals and the domestic dog. The Canidae classification is divided into two groups, the Wolf like and the Dog like mammals of the tribe Canini and the Foxes of the tribe Vulpini.
There are also more primitive species of Basal canine that do not fit into either tribe. Canivorans which evolved from Miacoids 55 million years ago, only evolving into Caniforms and Feliforms 50 million years ago. 40 million years ago the first clearly identifiable dog walked on the face of this planet.
The Canidae family soon divided into three subfamilies each of which diverged during the Eocene: Hesperocyoninae, Borophagine and the Caninae which led to modern day Wolves, Foxes, Coyotes and Dogs. Each suborder showed an increase in body mass with time, some exhibited a Hypercarnivorious diet that made them prone to extinction.
The earliest Canidae is the hesperocyoninae which included the Mesocyon. Around 9 million years ago during the Miocene, Canis Urogon and Vulpes genera expanded from southwestern North America. This is where Canine radiation began, and the survival of these Canines was directly related to their teeth. around 4 million years ago Canis Lepophagus appeared in North America. It's theorized that Canis Latrans is directly related to Canis lepophagus. the formation of Isthmus of Panama 3 million years ago joined Southern and North America. Around 1.8 million years ago wolves were present in Europe. Also during this Time Canis Edwardii who as a subspecies was clearly identifiable as a wolf.
Just as 0.8 million years ago was approaching Canis Ambrustri re immerged in North America, this large wolf was found all over the continent. 0.3 million years ago Canis Lupis was fully developed and had spread through Europe and Asia also including Berginia. About 100,000 years ago the Dire wolf was  one of the largest members of the dog family spread from Brazil to the La Brea tar pits in Los Angeles, California according to one article on the species.
Wild Canids are found on every continent except for Antarctica they are known to inhabit Deserts, forests, grasslands and mountain ranges. With some exceptions most Canids have relatively long legs and lite bodies adapted for chasing prey. All canids are digitigrades which means the walk on their toes, the also sport non-retractable claws, and all canids have a dewclaw on the front feet exempting the African wild dog.


Almost all Canids are social animals spending time in a family group called a pack, all of the packs family members are valued and given vital rolls in the community, as far up as the Alpha Male and Alpha Female all the way down to the Beta and Omega. Most Canids communicate with each other through scent signals, body language and vocalizations such as Barks, Yelps and wines. In most cases packs have a territory and drive out intruders attacking and killing them if necessary, But the pack tries to avoid this by laying down no trespassing signs through their urine.
This has been a report by Cory McGUCKIN.
© Copyright 2010 MAGISTERIALSTALLION (crownvictoria at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1711916-Canidae-A-report-by-Cory-McGUCKIN