*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712127-My-Hero
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest · #1712127
Daily Flash Challenge. Prompt to include: tattoo, danger and flower.
“You did what?” My mother’s voice was shrill, her face etched with horror.

“Your beautiful skin,” she continued, now sounding more wistful than angry as she studied the offending area.

“Who did it?  Because you’re still at school...it's illegal!”  Mum declared and sat down on the nearest chair, which was a good idea because she was looking distinctly wobbly.

I sighed. “Oh Mum!  Those laws are there for people who don’t know what they’re doing.”

“So...not like you then.”

“No...and anyway...it’s only a tattoo...everyone’s got one.”

“Oh... so everyone’s got one have they?  That’s alright then...if everyone’s got them," she muttered, rolling her eyes.

“But...but now the whole world knows just how much I love him. His name’s there forever.”

“Unfortunately that’s true. Who's this guy anyway... you’ve never mentioned him before.”

“He’s...he’s an actor,” and as that didn’t elicit any reaction, I continued, “you know ...on a TV show.”

Her rigid expression altered; one eyebrow lifting slightly in a way only an enquiring mother was able to do.

“It's the best TV show in the world,” I insisted and sighed as I thought about my onscreen hero.  Tall dark and handsome and every week putting himself in danger to save the world or, in my dreams ...me!

“Hmm,” she said eventually.  I hated when she said that.  Something else was coming; something I wouldn’t fathom until she hit me with it.

She undid her jeans and lowered them until she exposed the lower part of her hip to reveal a small tattoo; its flower and red heart artistically blended with a name in the centre.  It was so similar to mine,  I was stunned.  I read  the inscription.

“Who’s Sam W?” I asked, curiosity now running wild.

“My hero.” Mum replied with a wry smile.

--------

Word count:296




© Copyright 2010 TangledWeb (tangledweb at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712127-My-Hero