*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712734-The-Leviathan---chapter-2
by law558
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1712734
In a World of Islands, The Leviathan rises from the depths once per year to destroy.
CHAPTER 2

She’d lost weight. Brienna stared at her image in the mirror. Serving maid grey just didn’t suit her. Brienna tugged on the uniform once more, she just could not get comfortable in someone else’s clothes. Jane had left the uniform and her other less luxurious items when she’d fled the island with her other half. Thinking back, Brienna couldn’t even agree on what his name was. Jane had had so many ‘soul mates’ when they were young and they had grown apart after Brienna married. A serving girl and new money just didn’t work.

It was pure luck, but of course Brienna was due. Brienna had been returning from a show in town – the last show in fact, before the playhouse locked its gates for good. It was late, sparklings of moonlight crept from spaces in the cloud cover. The rough cobbles of the roads an experience for any lady’s composure. The blackness of the night shrouded everything but the lamps that swung everywhere in the old district. Brienna had left straight after the show; her affluent friends always travelled in pairs with their wealthy husbands and took great delight highlighting Brienna’s solitary social life, since Jona had quit to barter along the islands. Jane and her mysterious young rescuer had nearly bowled Brienna over when they came dashing out their house. A few hurried goodbyes and Brienna’s old friend was gone. Brienna had already had a socialite’s share of tipples, and had continued long into the night after she was safely home in her opulent mansion. It was several mornings later with the town emptied and Brienna still here, her addled mind reclaimed the connection and a plan had came together.

And now Brienna was wearing her clothes, planning on sneaking into the castle and begging her brother to forgive her and take her with him. If it wasn’t for Dana, Brienna might just let her stubborn pride win. After everything Tay had said to her. Now she was going to beg, get down on her hands and knees, grab onto his trousers and cry if necessary, beg him to save her. It galled her, but Brienna was beginning to see, her life wasn’t going to be fair. Long brown hair, supple but pale skin, Brienna needed long flowing dresses or vibrant island garb. The dreary grey woman in the mirror frowned at her from the silver surface. Her only saving feature was her vivid green eyes, no uniform could dull those.

At least Jona would never see her like this, but that led to more worrying issues than wardrobe problems. Where was Jona, where was her husband? Brienna knew it would’ve been tight; he had left on one last trade route. Down to ‘The Ring’ to batter Aven’s lumber and marine foodstuffs for the quality glassware’s and sculptures the island group were known for. Even if the weather had been bad, he should have returned by now. They were still passionate newly-weds, something terrible must have happened to prevent Jona coming to the rescue.

The day was getting on and Brienna could no longer wait for her husband to save her. She wished again she’d just booked passage, while there were berths still available. Looking round the room, it was just not fair. The master bedroom had been Brienna’s pride and joy. The whole mansion had been built from Granite from Islands as far as Hof in the far north and close as Ovan just days from Aven. It wasn’t the prettiest rock, but just having the only all stone house in a forest island had got Brienna all kinds of jealous remarks from her friends, and Brienna had piece by piece started covering the granite with marble and oak and any other opulent resources that reached Aven. Jona had insisted on displaying his wealth, and Brienna had been only too eager to continue the theme indoors. With indulgent marble floors and newly commissioned Seder tables and cabinets, Brienna was able to display the exquisite glass and stone works of the ‘The Ring’ islands craftsmen for all her visitors to gawk at. Walking down the balcony corridor, Brienna went in search of her daughter. With her nanny Neg already fled with her fisherman’s troupe, Brienna had found herself with a daughter to raise.

“Dana? Dana darling, time to go”, Brienna wandered around her house, waiting for a door to open and show her playful daughter.

A little face peaked through from the downstairs lounge. Golden curls and deep green eyes, if her hair fades with time she’ll look just like her mother when she’s older, Brienna mused as she swept down the grand staircase to the ground floor. So far there wasn’t much of Jona in her; her brother would find those omitted qualities Dana’s best prospects no doubt.

Leaving her mansion with her daughter in tow; Brienna looked back one last time, then hurried into the heart of the town. It all looked so fragile now, little wooden houses huddling against the rocks and trees of Aven. What chance did people have against a monster that dwarfed them a thousand times over? Brienna and Dana pushed past the old buildings of the town and started up the royal highway to the Queen’s abode. A hot coil of air brushed over their backs and persisted up the path. The first of the summer squalls would be upon them soon. Though where would Brienna be then? Further up into the rocky crags rested Aven castle. Brienna took one deep breath and went to beg for her right to survive.

********************************************************************************

Only a skeleton crew run the castle and yet it had still taken all morning to see the Queen. Now that he stood before her, his anger long spent, Tay didn’t know how to start. Sweat was beginning to form under his leather garments. A guards’ uniform was built to protect from the cold just as much from the blow of a sword. Leather vest with steel plates amalgamated to deflect from the most vital areas of a guards’ body. The metal was known for attracting the cold on those long lonely patrols, so Aven’s uniforms retained the manes of whichever poor animals gave their skins, turned inward to warm the guard. Here in the heated interior of the castle though, Tay just sweat. Here he was, complaining about everyone wasting time and he had just spent over an hour waiting to talk to her. Maybe the problem couldn’t be solved; maybe it was an intricate part of court life, every much as the endless dinner parties and evening dances.

Queen Diora Aven IV sat facing him; her facial features every part as regal as her imperial cerulean robes of Office. Her steel gray eyes bore into Tay as he waited. In this case, maybe it was fear that propelled Tay’s chest to contract, and sweat run down into his crevices. The royal chambers were elaborate in their wealth. The study, where the queen had agreed to see him, had been improved by every generation of royals. The current results created a strong sense of deprecation in anyone trying to infiltrate it like Tay. Rich dark red shelves, polished with years of care, housed a library of wealth. Books with creased leather coverings ran in rows, only stopped by vases and oddities, most likely gifts from delegates and visitors dating back years.

“I hear my Second refuses to work for me, on today of all days”. It sounded like a question, but with her royal tone it came out a bare statement.

“Your Majesty, I serve you as I always have”, Tay paused, “It’s just...on today of all days I... I don’t believe we have the luxury to continue with these court theatrics”, His voice grew more solid, Tay realised that Queen or not, Diora was going to get them all killed. She could house herself in riches and opulence, but her power was purely political. The Leviathan was power pure and simple, and it was coming for them.

“If under Republican law the guard are the highest ranking of the remaining workforce. Then let us evacuate with Military discipline”, Tay stood erect and waited for his chastisement.

Queen Diora matched him stare for stare, then only for a moment slumped forward and Tay got the briefest glance at the wearied woman under the title.

“What would you have of me Second?” her tone remained unbending, but her eyes had lost their dangerous glint.

“Let the servants do their jobs. Each man and woman knows what’s to be done. They don’t need to be preapproved in triplicate for every task, its pure theatrics... And remind the nobility that the guard aren’t their personal staff. If we have any chance to depart today, we must get everyone and what we need on the Racing Aven, Now,”

“Need I remind you Second, these theatrics you talk about are the Laws that all islands of the Republic agree to follow. My ancestors went on bended knee and signed their power away to Illan to protect our people, because they believed the law would ensure our continued way of life”

“Your Majesty, if we follow to the letter, the great intricacies of the laws we’ll still be dancing round paperwork and court officials when The Leviathan drags us down to our death”

Queen Diora paused in thought. It must be difficult for a woman that lived in a world of endless niceties and regulation, to throw it all away. She turned to General Horst, who resided in the corner. Horst was every piece a part of the royal chambers, the signs of his position as First in the straightness of his stance more than the royal cerulean that overlay only Horst’s breastplate in the guard. If something pasted between them, Tay couldn’t discern what. Diora’s gaze locked with Tay’s again.

“Very Well, for the duration of Aven’s court I will give the guard the control it needs to see us on the Racing Aven. Be forewarned Second, your power will end the second the last man steps on my ship”.

The Queen waved a signal and General Horst, the silent guardian in the corner, paced over. “General, gather the court early. It seems I must address my people”, looking over at Tay, she continued “Second, gather the guard and remaining servants. I hope your belief in their ability does not prove flawed. Now, Gentlemen”.

Queen Diora rose and led her royal guards out of her chambers. The head of Aven and her bodyguard strode in the direction of the throne room, while Tay tore off and headed for the Kitchens. Kitchens first, storerooms second, send someone down to the dock and some of the guards were patrolling the outer walls still. Tay would have to get his men to call them back. Yes, she had listened to him. They could do it, if everyone grabbed what was needed, they could be out of here in an hour, two tops. A new energy filled Tay, he felt there could be a future for the first time in a long time. It put a hop in his step and when he saw the maid dallying in the corridor, he grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her round to share his elation.

“Come girl, no time for loitering. We’ve got an island to escape...Brienna!?”

**********************************************************************************

Her Brother hadn’t changed. There he was sauntering down the corridors, sure in his position in the world. A man that chose what he wanted then pulled all his resources to achieve his goal. In all his life the only time Brienna could say with certainty that Tay had been thwarted, was her marriage to Jona. Please god; don’t let him bring that up. I’ll slap him, I really will. Not the best way to start begging for help. Tay wasn’t that tall, but he’d filled out in their year apart. Black curls fell on his broad shoulders and his strong form moved with control towards her. Now he was so close, her tongue went limp, her mind blank. After all her planning, it had been effortless to enter the castle. Half the court was missing and those still in attendance, flitted from job to job without purpose. Brienna had expected to talk her way past the Gate Guards, but only one of the junior boys waited in the gatehouse. Even in Maid’s Uniform, Brienna could still perforate status. The boy in his man’s uniform had been too scared Brienna had a genuine claim to enter the castle, to stop her. After that nobody cared what a maid was doing wandering the grounds.

Brienna crouched down and hoped he’d pass by. It would be easier with Dana she decided. After he passed, she’d go back and pick up her daughter from the gardens with the other children. With Dana in tow she’d find Tay again and beg for her daughter’s sake. Tay couldn’t say no with his niece watching.
He grabbed her. He must know it’s me; he’s going to drag me out without even listening to me!

“Come girl, no time for loitering. We’ve got an island to escape...Brienna!?”

Brienna drew eye level with her older brother,

“Brother”, she tried to keep all emotion from her tone.

“Why...Why are you still here? Father said he was taking you with him. Has something gone wrong, are they all still here?”

Tay was working himself into a greater lather. “Father got away. I stayed behind”

“You ‘Stayed behind’, what kind of stupid...Why would you do such a...Jona. Its Jona isn’t it. Let me guess, the greedy merchant was meant to take you away, but he’s too busy robbing out-islanders of their-”

“Stop it. Stop Please”, Brienna bawled.

She couldn’t stop tears lining her eyes. All her life she’d always kept in her big brother’s approval. It was only now, without Jona yelling back, that Brienna realised how much she needed her brother to stop being angry with her.

Tay watched her with stern eyes, “I don’t have time for this now, stay behind me and keep quiet”. Tay continued down the hall and Brienna had seconds to pull herself together or risk losing him in the maze that was Aven Castle.

After a prolonged tour of the castle, via the kitchens, infirmary, storerooms and finally barracks, Tay led Brianne into the Throne room and ordered her stay out of the way. From the orders he’d handed out to every man and woman on his route, it looked like the whole court was to gather for the Queen’s last session. Brienna wondered how they made the time.

Brienna couldn’t move for the bodies pushing to get a superior view of the Queen. The throne room was large, but the air was growing humid from the collected bulk of bodies. Ducking out of the way, she forced herself to the far wall of the throne room. Her brother would be near the throne anyway. Even with most of the court already fled, the throne room was never meant to hold this many people. The Great palaces of Illan were known to hold thousands - cities within cities. But back when the castle was erected, Aven had been a village along the beach. The Merchant Aven had constructed the castle as his power base for his growing business. The last time Brienna had stood under the gaze of the throne had been over a year ago, it brought mixed emotions to Brienna as she struggled for space. Brienna had married into Money and the Pastor always pushed for large weddings to be held in the throne room. Brienna had agreed, thinking the Queen would be present. If she knew her wedding would be in this windowless stone cell, she’d have pushed for her idea, a romantic midnight wedding on the northern rock planes. Of course it would have been a task in itself to manoeuvre fat Pastor Iffess over the rough crags that covered northern Aven.

People were shuffling aside. The servants huddled together in groups, mulling amongst themselves, the guards strong-armed their way to the front to line up alongside the throne and the few remaining lords and ladies stood in pockets of calm. Queen Diora paced up the ever widening aisle and sat upon her throne.

******************************************************************************

Why did she have to be here, Now of all times? His little sister had always found ways to make a bad day, infinitely worse. Although he’d missed her like crazy this last year?? Had it really been so long already? Tay didn’t miss the drama that seemed to attach to her wake, no matter what she did. And of course then there was Jona. The boy that had bullied him all through their youth had grown into a callous, ruthless merchant. Jona had always managed to surprise people, probably the reason for his financial successes these last years. He was dashing, always fashionable and charming for the ladies. Tack on ‘Captain’ and Jona was...impressive. It’s strange; people always think evil will look unsightly. The farmers and fishermen really believed Jona had their interests at heart, and his sister, his sister wouldn’t admit to any faults in her perfect husband. It was galling the day Jona returned to Aven with a ship and proclaimed himself a captain, but Tay had been close for a promotion at the time, and Second of the royal guard was every bit as notable. Tay would have happily let Jona have his success and never speak to the man again, but then had come the engagement. Tay had fumed all these last months, switching between hating Jona to believing Brienna was only doing this to spite him. Most recently, he’d settled for indifference. The rumours that had perforated all over the island had to be false. Brienna wasn’t that stupid, that she’d stay with a man capable of such acts. Of course seeing his foolish sister today, when she was meant to be on a ship to Korra and safety, Tay was struggling between hugging and screaming at her, perhaps a combo of the two, when he had the time.

Everyone was looking at him. Tay wisely concentrated on the Queen’s words,

“...leaving in three hours. Everyone knows what they need to do. The guard will commence a final sweep of the castle and anyone not on the Racing Aven; will need to make their own arrangements. We have a lot to do and little time, I know no one will fail us in this final task”.

With the silence that followed, everyone shuffled into life and the room gradually emptied of colour. The greys and blacks of the servants rushed to complete their tasks, while the bright drab of the lords sauntered out at their more leisurely pace. Though from experience, Tay did notice the increase from their standard amble. Only someone of the courts would see that they were finally worried.
In the empty hall, Brienna was obvious. The only maid that held herself like queen, Tay laughed, no wonder she always rubbed people the wrong way. She looked his way. What to do with her though, it was unlikely there was room for the court as it was, he couldn’t just march her on the only ship.

“Brienna, do you know anyone here?” Tay inquired.

“Not well. Dana used to play with some of the children at the castle, if their parents are still here, they’d know me to look at?” Brienna looked puzzled
“Dana? That could work. The Fosters never have enough hands to watch all the children here. I have to make sure we leave today. You go find the Foster head and tell her I’ve assigned you to help round the kids up and ensure they all get on the ship”.

Saying a quick goodbye to Brienna, Tay spent the next hours rushing everyone down the cliff steps to the private docks of the Castle, to where on the ropey waves in the distance the Racing Aven rocked with the increasing winds.

**********************************************************************************

Aven was still there. The landship coasted round the northern boundaries with its customary haste. White foam threatened to grab Magus and pull him to a stony death from his perch on the peninsula as it always did. Steadying himself as the landship lunched round the island, Magus was forced back as a nasty wave reached past its normal moss covered grip and lapped at the wizard’s boots. Reclaiming his preferred spot, Magus tried to recall if Aven was famous for anything. Not every island could fund itself on its own supplies; a lot of the habitable islands survived purely on the strict trafficking laws of the Republic. While Magus had no choice and was forced to rely on the node on Aven to propel him on his journey, the merchant captains’ only travelled the routes on fear of blacklisting from the King. Every ship needed a preapproved route and a dock official on board from the Dockmaster, before they could leave any port in the Republic. While costly for the merchants in question, the law ensured every island received basic supplies – food, fresh water, building materials, tools – and on a regular basis. It also prevented mere mortal captains from besting Wizards at sea travel and turning a greater profit. Ah the murky depths of Illan politics.
Magus surveyed the island from his rocky post on the landship. The stark walls of a castle reached up out of stony northern region of the island. This was presided by sandy shores that led to a stone harbour and most likely the only town on the small island.

This was the first Doomed Island Magus had ever seen. Having been born on Illan, Magus had been tested and moved into the novice barracks of the Order at an earlier age. With years of study in history, economics, finances, and politics before even starting formal Wizardings classes, Magus had had little time for travel in his junior years at the order. Now at twenty four cycles, Magus was getting his boyhood adventures, but for all the wrong reasons.

It didn’t look anything special. Magus wasn’t sure what he’d wanted. Some of the Wise men on the less civilised of the republican islands were known for debasing the people of the Doomed islands with slander of unholy sins and ritualistic cults. Magus would have enjoyed watching the savages of Aven tie up and sacrifice their own to appease the great beast, but from the deserted town before him, Magus concluded Aven to be your standard bustling trade island. Not bustling anymore of course. From his distant perch Magus couldn’t detect any signs of life. He could reach out with his magical senses, but didn’t see the use in such an indulgent waste of power. Anyone still on an island about to be obliterated deserved their fate.

The waves eased in their constant roaring against the landship’s rocky extremities. The lathered foam of the sea waters resided against the rocks, coating the peninsula in white. Magus’s island had finally come to a stop. He was glad; Magus had no desire to stay in the proximity of Aven Island any longer than he must. Tracing his way to the Node, Magus began drawing in power. Each object, living or inanimate, held a trace of the same raw energy that coursed through every Wizard’s body. While Magus was possessing of a greater store than the average Wizard, it would be foolish not to tap the wasted energies around him. It was just another reason Magus was so much more the wizard then those of the order. Here with a forest of trees and wildlife, Magus had never drained himself of power, controlling the landship. Let others clear their ships and erect towers in their honour, Magus would cultivate his own private magic farm. The landship had completed its circuit between the Nodes of Devon and Aven; Magus would have to construct a new link before the landship would continue. Reaching the heart of the island, Magus sped past the static onyx and presided into the first of his stone abodes. Magus had contracted three such buildings for his island. While not arrogant enough to fabricate long towering spires with dainty spidery bridges spanning their walls, like some of his former colleagues, the unpredictable weathers of sea travel required somewhere that could seal out the elements and give Magus the warmth and quiet that a Wizard sought of an evening. Rummaging through his mess of a desk, Magus hunted for his journal. Finding the worn leather cover, from under a ransack pile of merchants periodicals, Magus flipped to his renditions of the islands of the republic. Magus always did have a hand for penmanship, the intricate sketches and nautical lines carried abundant details about the various routes through republican waters. Checking over his current location, Magus pointed to the minuscule blot that represented the mining island of Ovan. Once at Ovan, Magus would have a few options as to what route he decided to take, but for now only Ovan was within Node distance.

Travelling using the Nodes was a relatively easy task, not even requiring direct contact with his onyx. Magus made a space in his ornate leather armchair and relaxed. Blocking as much of the outside world as his training allowed, Magus sought the black heart of the onyx to anchor the first chain in the link. It was effortless; the old training programs stated focusing on your breathing or heartbeat above all else then pushing that further into the depths of your mind, then you could reach an empty zone perfect for performing magic. The only trouble Magus detected was a quickening in the winds and a slight buzz in the humidity that took a few moments for Magus to ignore. A storm was most likely on the horizons. Neither was an unswerving distraction though and Magus carried the link out across the oceans and finding the feeling of the Node on Ovan, forged the link. The landship shuddered back into movement as Magus’s focus returned to his living surroundings.

*******************************************************************************

It was growing dark. Tay had hoped to continue work under moonlight. The moon was broad and had glowed with ferocity these last couple of nights, but thick cloud coverage threatened to blanket the last rays of luminosity. They were close, the castle was empty now, and the last passengers on the path down the cliff edge. Tay was performing the sweep of the grounds with the best of his men, Yurin, Pern and Cosac. On the dock far below, the last crates were being shipped aboard, the crew of the Racing Aven hurried to stow everything securely in the hold.
His men stalked along under the castle walls and grouped around Tay.

“Reports”, he barked.

“All clear Second, scouted the grounds, the interior and the walls as ordered, Sir.”

“Good job men, let’s move. We have a ship to catch”, tossing a swift smirk at the burly guardsmen, Tay raced off into the night.

Emerging into the open air, the men were greeted with the slap of hardened rainfall. The winds were picking up and Tay’s visibility was becoming myopic. Reaching the sheer cliff faces of Aven, the four guards vigilantly descended the long worn, chiselled steps down to the royal dock, crouching into the cliff face whenever the presence of strong wind lapped around their feet and clothes. In the face of his men Tay exhibited rigid restrain, but he was secretly thankful to touch the weathered planks that marked the start of the pier. Looking up at the Stone castle he’d protected all these years. It was shrouded in blackness, only a flash of lightning illuminated Tay’s home for the better part of a decade and only for the briefest of moments. Rubbing the afterimage from his sight, Tay pointed in the direction of the ship. Rushing to the ship, everyone was onboard and under cover. Tay ordered his men below and sought out the Captain. Entering his cabin at the stern of the ship, Tay saluted the assembled officials. Queen Diora, General Horst and the Captain, known as Jenves all huddled over nautical maps on a sturdy thick desk that dominated the small varnished room.

“My Queen, everyone is secured. I suggest we leave with all haste. The first of the summer storms can be savage”

“Agreed, Captain we can discuss matters at a more convenient occasion, let us progress out of this tempest and head for smoother waters”

“Yes Ma’am”, Captain Jenves draw together his sturdy cotton jacket and headed into the rain.

“Taymous, you may retire to the sleeping quarters”, Diora ordered from her gaze of the desk, then looking eye to eye with Tay, her features took on a intimately more human visage, “I’d say you’ve earn some sleep”

“Thank you, your Majesty”, saluting his Queen, Tay turned and braved the rains again.

The Racing Aven had commenced in her voyage. Her bow edged out into the murky waters, into the black of the horizon. Sealed Lanterns lined the structures of the Aven creating a sphere of limited light around the ship as Tay edged for the door to the lower cabins. The rains and wind added to the field of isolation Tay felt walking the gangways of the ship. The rocking from the waves made Tay dread each movement. As his hand finally grasped the door to safety and warmth, a lull bred in the storm. In the momentary silence Tay’s senses were drawn to the side of the ship. Out into the dark, he struggled to see, as a roaring of water grew, perforating his ears and then vibrating up his whole body. His eyes adjusted to the dark too slow, a wall of water towered towards the cliffs of Aven. Tay went mute with awe.


© Copyright 2010 law558 (law558 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1712734-The-Leviathan---chapter-2